Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garminNOTnavman1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN Reply with quote

Hi all, I bought a 510 4 days ago and put it to the test straight away. Well it didn't know my address, it wouldn't reroute and I always drove off the map even in 3D mode!!!. I went back to Halfords today to return it (who were excellent by the way) and they had to ring up NAVMAN to get a return number because the unit was deemed as faulty. They had to argue with a NAVMAN manager who would not accept my unit was faulty. The postcode thing seems to be a general blip in their software but not rerouting (the unit was set to reroute) was rediculous. The NAVMAN manager then instructed the Halfords guy on how to find my address - and bingo it found my street!!! but in another village 8.5 miles from where I live!!! The NAVMAN guy told him that this WAS acceptable and refused to give a return number -------- needless to say Halfords in Slough are now refusing to sell any NAVMAN products due to the sheer audacity of the so called customer services agent and his manager at NAVMAN. My advice, avoid them at all cost. BTW I replaced the 510 with a GARMIN Que M5 and I'm very pleased.
edinburghkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed mine works when it arrives tomorrow. I am still happy with my purchase.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my 510 from my local Halfords and the speaker failed, they replaced it there and then on the spot having spoken to Navman on the phone. My 510 works brilliantly, but if you don't want to own a proper GPS unit that can't tell you where the Speed Camera's are, doesn't do 3D and needs a holdall to carry it when it's not operating at 10 mtrs depth of water. Hey , it's a free country!!!
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and don't forget to keep some tools handy so you can remove the battery from your vehicle so you can still use your Garmin when your on foot!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
Oh, and don't forget to keep some tools handy so you can remove the battery from your vehicle so you can still use your Garmin when your on foot!!!

The Garmin iQue m5 is a Windows Mobile Pocket PC with integrated GPS so it has its own internal battery.

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQueM5/

Having said that, there are plenty of very happy iCN510 users and the OP's comments do not represent the general opinion of the product.
garminNOTnavman1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:

As I said it didn't even reroute me - what a great unit!!

By the way the Que m5 is a pocket PC and therefore portable, I'd do some research b4 posting a reply like that...

As for Halfords replacing the unit, I wanted a refund so they had to get a release from NAVMAN as I'd registered it, NAVMAN will only replace a unit with a physical defect, they don't believe their software could ever be faulty, and anayway I didn't want to replace something that has so many problems and zero customer support!!!!!!!!!
garminNOTnavman1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Having said that, there are plenty of very happy iCN510 users and the OP's comments do not represent the general opinion of the product.

Fair point Darren, but I (and Halfords) thought my unit was faulty, but it was the attitude of the NAVMAN guy not accepting these problems could possibly occur that really annoyed me.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - so you had a faulty unit, had a run-in with some idiot at Navman and have now replaced it with a Garmin. Congratulations. 'Nuff said?
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN Reply with quote

garminNOTnavman1 wrote:
Hi all, I bought a 510 4 days ago and put it to the test straight away. Well it didn't know my address, it wouldn't reroute and I always drove off the map even in 3D mode!!!. I went back to Halfords today to return it (who were excellent by the way) and they had to ring up NAVMAN to get a return number because the unit was deemed as faulty. They had to argue with a NAVMAN manager who would not accept my unit was faulty. The postcode thing seems to be a general blip in their software but not rerouting (the unit was set to reroute) was rediculous. The NAVMAN manager then instructed the Halfords guy on how to find my address - and bingo it found my street!!! but in another village 8.5 miles from where I live!!! The NAVMAN guy told him that this WAS acceptable and refused to give a return number -------- needless to say Halfords in Slough are now refusing to sell any NAVMAN products due to the sheer audacity of the so called customer services agent and his manager at NAVMAN. My advice, avoid them at all cost. BTW I replaced the 510 with a GARMIN Que M5 and I'm very pleased.

Any GPS will give goofy routing at one time or another, by and large mine has done exceptionally well. I has found almost every address perfectly and re-routing (back on track) has been extremely reliable. I really depend on it. I am in sales, so I use it pretty heavily.
It must have been defective.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I too am very happy with my product, despite having some minor problems (some my own idiocy), but my real gripe is that there is no support available - go to the Navman site and all I get is that the support and contact pages are no longer available - not even FAQ's - but is that me too?
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here.......

http://www.navman.co.uk/
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
It's here.......

http://www.navman.co.uk/

All I get when trying to access technical support is:

Error: The page you are trying to access is not available. Please contact the administrator for more details.

Please confirm you can navigate from the Home Page of Navman.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for me, clicking the support link launches a pop-up window. This may be the cause of your problem if you have software that is preventing pop-ups for example?
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can do "Gee-Pee"
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It works for me, clicking the support link launches a pop-up window. This may be the cause of your problem if you have software that is preventing pop-ups for example?

You are right, I run OnSpeed which has an inbuild popup stopper. If I lose a log in on any of the forums I contribute to, I have to exit Onspeed before I am allowed to log in.

Will try again after OnSpeed is disabled. Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: