Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DO NOT BUY A NAVMAN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It works for me, clicking the support link launches a pop-up window. This may be the cause of your problem if you have software that is preventing pop-ups for example?

You are right, I run OnSpeed which has an inbuild popup stopper. If I lose a log in on any of the forums I contribute to, I have to exit Onspeed before I am allowed to log in.

Will try again after OnSpeed is disabled. Thanks
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Navman, when I called for the first time with a problem with my 510, The guy from Navman asked me to do a few simple instructions over the phone, with no result, he then said.... word for word here... I'm sorry that unit has a software problem, can you take it back to halfords and get another one, if there is a problem at halfords, get them to call me and ask for me personally.

I got mine in December, and was confused with some of the features, this forum and members helped greatly.
My 510 unit is Great, works perfect, in all conditions, (even in blizzard snow) the thing is, not to think that once you make changes in the settings, that you will never have to adjust them again, and it only takes seconds.

For someone to create a screen name against something that was faulty and never got the chance to use regardless of customer service seems very childish. If your address is on the latest maps (which some are not, granted) I would find it, and get there before any PDA with an added extra of SAT/NAV Twisted Evil
OR ? do we have a salesman for Garmin as a new member. Laughing

one example I posted a few months ago was finding the town of Aberlour in scotland, it just was'nt there at all, so i picked the next town closest, upon arriving in Aberlour, I noticed the Town welcome sign as "Charlestown of Aberlour".
This is the ONLY problem i have ever had with my 510.

Parts of my town, which are just being completed are not on the maps, this is acceptable because the roads are brand new, there not even on our new paper street maps yet.

I researched for about a month to find the best unit for my needs, the 510 won hands down. :D
garminNOTnavman1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fair comments made but at the end of the day, my point was I spent £399 on the 510 and it did have a software problem, but the support guy (and his manager) at NAVMAN was so rude and obnoxious both to me and the Halfords sales guy, it has put me off their company for life. I was suggesting people should be careful b4 buying a NAVMAN product knowing their support can be so bad.

It's good to hear djmek got some good support but I'm sure we've all been in a situation where a company or service provider has let us down in some way in the past!!! I guess this was my time.

BTW I'm not a salesman for Garmin, perhaps I should change my screen name though Confused
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is a bit of a daft name isn't it Wink but you've made your point Exclamation Lets hope your new Garmin unit does everything you want it to Out of here

Best wishes

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that coming onto a forum entitled "Navman iCN 510" with a handle "garminNOTnavman1" is a bit like going onto a Harley Davidson forum with a handle "goldwingNOTharley1`".
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Navman Had a software problem
then probably all you had to do was maybe Re-install the software
from the Cd onto the Memory card?????

As the Map data is supplied by Tele-atlas
then any navigation system that uses TELEATLAS data is Very likely to have the same problem

To be truthful, it doesnt matter whether you but a Teleatlas or Navteq
map base products, there are going to be Glitches, and Streets, towns missing somewhere in the country with either product

The Navman 510 gets Glowing Reviews from Many different reviewers
Garmin Products are far from Perfect....
As are Tom Tom, Medion
I have found Navman's Technical Department to be Extremely good
Unlike M*****
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
When I purchased my 510 from my local Halfords and the speaker failed, they replaced it there and then on the spot having spoken to Navman on the phone. My 510 works brilliantly, but if you don't want to own a proper GPS unit that can't tell you where the Speed Camera's are, doesn't do 3D and needs a holdall to carry it when it's not operating at 10 mtrs depth of water. Hey , it's a free country!!!

If I am in my vehicle, ten meters under water, lack of a 3D display is going to be the least of my problems. 8O
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garminNOTnavman1,

I have'nt read anywhere that when you got a refusal to exchange or a refund on your 510, by navman, that they actually did take it back eventually, what happened in the end?
If you feel like PM me your street address and i'll see if I can find your address on my 510.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued, 8)
I did see you now have a GARMIN Que M5, so did Halfords take it back as good customer relations ?

btw if you do PM me your address, better include town and i'll PM you back with result.

I'm just curious, it will remain private.
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I work in an aforementioned store and can only offer my personal experiences.As from October our store has sold approx.70 icn510s.
Not one has come back with a genuine hardware failure, plenty of user issues but nothing that could be attributed to a genuine fault. This compares extremely favourably to its competitors that we also sell. I've also found them to be reasonable with regards to customer support, once again in comparison to its rivals.
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garminNOTnavman1 wrote:
Darren wrote:

Having said that, there are plenty of very happy iCN510 users and the OP's comments do not represent the general opinion of the product.

Fair point Darren, but I (and Halfords) thought my unit was faulty, but it was the attitude of the NAVMAN guy not accepting these problems could possibly occur that really annoyed me.

I agree, based on the fact I'm on my 3rd unit in less than 21days. And from the idiotic responses I've read from Navmans "Out Sourced tech support" probably somewhere in India form the appearance of their dialog, I have concluded Navman's intentions are only to make a quick buck. I certainly will never buy another.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: