Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are these TT3 map deals legit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are these TT3 map deals legit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Are these TT3 map deals legit? Reply with quote

These prices look very suspicious to me...

LINK REMOVED by Admin

Comments anyone?

Ian
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally id give it a VERY VERY wide berth

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description sof the products don't even seem to tally with anything TomTom lists... very odd!

Ian
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirated software, I asked the seller if it came in the original packaging and he replied that it came on two DVD's.

Reported to eBay (not that they are much help).

Last edited by Darren on Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
redriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: does it matter ? Reply with quote

legal or not as long as it works it's OK !
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except you get no map updates, you cannot access Traffic, you will not receive the v5 update, your contributing to illegal activity, you are also committing a criminal act yourself and if more think in the same way then v6 will not be developed.

If you can afford a PocketPC and a GPS then you can afford the price of the software.
Quachee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the last post in this thread and it infuriated me so i signed up just to say this.

The only way you can preach to others about what is right and wrong without being a hypocryt is to be absolutely squeaky clean yourself. And that doesn't just mean not being a software pirate, it means in every other aspect of your life. So ask yourself if you have ever broken the law in any way, if you have, you are a steaming great hypocryt, if not then i apologise.

The law of averages say that 50% of people you encounter will be dishonest, that's a large amount of people out there, and it would also figure from that, that 50% of the TomTom developers and sales team are going to be dishonest too, considering the way they treat paying customers such as myself and others it is probably more. To start with, when I initially bought TomTom's software I would never have dreamed of ripping it off, but after having experience with them and their anti-customer policies I wouldn't hesitate to now on matter of principle, an eye for an eye. I feel exactly the same way about Microsoft too. Companies that treat customers with disrepect deserve nothing but contempt, so if V6 doesn't come out because of software piracy I say, big deal, no great loss anyway, maybe better sofware will be made in the future by a company who treat their customers a little better.

I am also a strong believer in the free software for personal/private use (excluding entertainment software). For commercial use, software should require a licence, but for private use, it should be free. There are reams and reams of free software already out there that the authors spent a lot of time and energy on developing but STILL give it away free, so if they can do it, why can't everyone else?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quachee wrote:
Just read the last post in this thread and it infuriated me so i signed up just to say this.

The only way you can preach to others ....
...free. There are reams and reams of free software already out there that the authors spent a lot of time and energy on developing but STILL give it away free, so if they can do it, why can't everyone else?

Personally I don't agree with you, but if you can produce the necessaries for a free TTG type, I'll make a sizeable donation to charity.

I try to do my bit for mankind, and help wherever I can, for no more reward other than that I have helped someone else.

I'm not 'squeakiy clean' either, sometimes unknowingly sometimes willingly. So I'm a hypocrite as well. But I'm not going to let that blinker me.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Quachee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also run a lot of free services and have written software (admittedly not huge projects) that I don't charge for. It just annoys me when people start preaching about the age old lame cry of "Software piracy damages future development", which is of course total bulls**t. Why? Well because as I previously stated, 50% of people are going to be dishonest. No matter what software is developed there is going to be a huge pirate community cracking it and distributing it all around and NOTHING can be done to stop it, it is simply going to happen no matter what. Software developers know this full well, it's just a fact of life, and they have to put up with it, if they are gonna have a problem with it then they should look for another line of work and not develop software in the first place. Some "holier than thou" post on an insignificant forum somewhere is not going to change a thing, is not going to change anyone's attitude and certaintly isn't going to convert the dishonest into the honest, all it was was an oppertunity for someone attempting to make himself look good and righteous *shudder*, that's what bugs me more than anything else.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not meant to be a righteous post, merely a statement that pirated software has ramifications for all. In the Navigation arena it may mean that companies such as Tomtom withdraw from the PDA market completely and focus on PND's such as GO where piracy is less of an issue.

It'a huge debate and not one for here, lets leave it at that.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren and all

Darren wrote:
It was not meant to be a righteous post, merely a statement that pirated software has ramifications for all. In the Navigation arena it may mean that companies such as Tomtom withdraw from the PDA market completely and focus on PND's such as GO where piracy is less of an issue.

It'a huge debate and not one for here, lets leave it at that.

Permit me to remark a few points:

1.- I don't think software should be free, but I think should be reasonably priced. Much more for individual or private use.

2.- TomTom has iniciated a course to get all for them. Whilst other software makers with third part add-ons are in touch with developpers before a new release is in the market to make it sure the add-ons will be prepared for that event, TT is closing down clearly ways to third parts, but they are not closing their pockets to get our money.

3.- TomTom has acquired a position in the marked due not only to their products if not too, a lot, to third part add-ons, that made to customers to get their products as there were more tools to be added. We'll come back to this point in a couple years if you like.

4.- Linux operative system is not a thing from another planet for Pocket PCs. May be is not popular, time to the time. So if there is a Pocket PC running with that OS, it can run too TomTom GO software. We'll see this before our retirement.

5.- TomTom GO is based, stated by TomTom in their web site, in GNU Operating System and they provided there links to http://www.gnu.org/
This is basically a project for free software. So they tooke a project developed freely and hardly by others, made minor changes, with links too to the libraries used from GNU, and made the big business.

From my view they had a big laught with this:
"The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is the principal organizational sponsor of the GNU Project. FSF receives very little funding from corporations or grant-making foundations. We rely on support from individuals like you who support FSF's mission to preserve, protect and promote the freedom to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer software, and to defend the rights of Free Software users. Please consider making a donation, becoming an Associate Member, ordering a copy of Free Software, Free Society, and/or encouraging your company to become a Corporate Patron of FSF."

6.- I love TomTom Navigator. I hate TomTom as company.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, I whollheartedly agree that if not prior to release, the SDK should be available at time of release. It would appear though that TomTom have cherry picked the best ideas fom 3rd party plug-ins and incorporated them into v5 which is good for users and bad for the developers who came up with the idea and worked to realise it.

The use of Linux as the base OS is another topic altogether, without knowing whether TomTom made a donation to the project as a result of using GNU I can't comment on the rights and wrongs, certainly it is not the first time that it has been used in consumer products.

FInally, I did not post to defend TomTom, they make a great product but ought to invest more in support and building a better relationship with their customers!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Good points, I wholeheartedly agree that if not prior to release, the SDK should be available at time of release. It would appear though that TomTom have cherry picked the best ideas from 3rd party plug-ins and incorporated them into V5 which is good for users and bad for the developers who came up with the idea and worked to realise it.

Not only have they taken the ideas but have failed to implement to the full capabilities. Whilst their 7 digit postcode lookup may well do what Neils postcode program did, their ability to make TomTom V5 make full use of the Pocketgps Camera database and Speed related files with spoken warnings for each category of camera comes no where near to what CheckPOInt and GPSAssist are able to achieve. For that reason alone I will most likely purchase the upgrade just to have it to be able to go on to the next upgrade, but I wont be installing it as having to remove GPSAssist to me would be taking a step back.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you were expecting. If TomTom came out with Navigator 5 and they hadn't included facilities such as postcode lookup and POI warning then I would be rather upset and wondering why on earth I should be giving them my money for the upgrade.
POISoft
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The psotcode search willbe very ineffiecient it will still be worth using programs like ours and others for the pure speed and ease of use they offer

----------------------------
Steve

http://www.poisoft.co.uk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: