Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - problems with hp 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

problems with hp 2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kblackburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: problems with hp 2210 Reply with quote

can anyone tell me if the rubber side panels in the 2210 can be replaced with something more durable, only bought this in november and both sides are coming out.
Sad
kevin
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: problems with hp 2210 Reply with quote

kblackburn wrote:
can anyone tell me if the rubber side panels in the 2210 can be replaced with something more durable, only bought this in november and both sides are coming out.
Sad
kevin
If your 2210 is still under warranty Hp will send you new ones Foc (I have had 2 sets replaced in 6 months) There are some expensive Aluminium available but I came accross these yesterday ,the reviews seem quite good!

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine failed early last year and I had a replacement from HP under warranty. These have failed now and HP won't supply a second set free. PPCTechs do an excellent aluminium set in a range of colours, Expansys sell them in the UK and although expensive they'll last forever, look great and feel good. I've invested in a set and can recommend them Thumbs Up
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Mine failed early last year and I had a replacement from HP under warranty. These have failed now and HP won't supply a second set free.

This must be something new because I had my second set replaced about 6 weeks ago! I have read on other forums that several individuals had requested Foc replacements although there was no fault with the one's they had in order to have a spare set available for when the warranty had expired! Perhaps this is why HP are only relacing one set (pity for the honest ones) but on the other hand if they supplied decent grips in the first place people would not have to stoop to such measures!
dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a few weeks ago, perhaps I just got a jobsworth!

I agree though, it's not that difficult to re-tool the design to prevent this from happening in the first place and if their warranty replacements fail then I suspect that legally they are obliged to replace them too.

However I couldn't be bothered arguing and the prospect of having yet another failed set a few months down the line justified the expense of a set from PPCTechs.
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have just replaced the side grips with the PPCTechs aluminium ones and hopefully that’s the finish of that problem. But it does seem strange that the only place my original ones failed was where my fingers made contact with them, so it would seem that the material used to make them is affected by the natural oils in/on my fingers. Now is it just me or does this seem strange to use this sort of material on a hand held device or should we all be wearing gloves?

iPAQ 2210: Kingston 512MB SD Card, Holux GR211
TTNav 3.07, GPS Driver 3.07, CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon wrote:
I to have just replaced the side grips with the PPCTechs aluminium ones and hopefully that’s the finish of that problem. But it does seem strange that the only place my original ones failed was where my fingers made contact with them, so it would seem that the material used to make them is affected by the natural oils in/on my fingers. Now is it just me or does this seem strange to use this sort of material on a hand held device or should we all be wearing gloves?

If you look Here
and look at my post of the 24th july you will see that I had the same thoughts!! Great minds and all that! :D Confused
dave
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave
Sorry I didn't see your previous post earlier (I probably didn’t search the forum long enough).

oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon wrote:
Hi dave
Sorry I didn't see your previous post earlier (I probably didn’t search the forum long enough).

Hi chris,
No need for apologies, I was merely poining out that we had the same thoughts as to why this problem was happening and guiding you to post as I knew where it was! I don't really blame you for posting before you had searched too hard as my only criticism of this excellent site is it throws up sometimes hundreds of posts for the entered search criteria making it quite daunting to trail through all the results. I think this may be due in part to posts not being given clear subject titles and not fully understanding how to enter a search to be most effective! On the former would there be possible for the administraters to re subject posts to make future seaches easier??( we are a bit dull in this part of Monmouthshire Confused Wink ) Anyway back to side grips!..I had a second set from HP earlier this year and the left grip where my thumb sits has already started to swell so ( Idea ) I tried to peel off the whole of the rubber to turn them into "PLASTIC SIDE STRIPS" but they would not come off Exclamation So I think this proves the theory of oil from the skin swelling the rubber and breaking the bond with the glue.
dave
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave

I’ve just found a website that confirms the point about rubber swelling when in contact with oils. Obviously I’m not sure what material is used in making the side grips as it seems that “rubber” is available in many different compounds, but it could be a possibility.
With this link the relevant paragraph is headed Fluid resistance.
Another page on this website shows some of the problems with the selection of rubber for specific tasks

BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

The rubber sides on my PPC seem like new (well, new-ish)

But there again I prefer to keep the PPC in an aluminium housing specially designed for the 2210.

Granted, it does add a bit to the weight & bulk but as the device is lugged about in GPS and mapping use in the hills I find the extra weigh & bulk worth the minor inconvenience.

The housing is labelled proporta and the metal front is hinged with access for all cabling purposes. Purchased, I think, from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Personally I'd rather have the extra security and safety of the outer sleeve but realise this may not be a best solution - it works for me though!

bbb

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: