Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upload favorites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upload favorites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Upload favorites Reply with quote

I frequently mark my customer locations when I arrive at a new one by adding it to favorites. Then I can easily navigate back there again. I also want to upload my favorites to my pc so I can position them on a map. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

Thanks!
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upload favorites Reply with quote

jimg wrote:
I frequently mark my customer locations when I arrive at a new one by adding it to favorites. Then I can easily navigate back there again. I also want to upload my favorites to my pc so I can position them on a map. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

Thanks!

Not any easy way I'm aware of. This is one my complaints regarding the 510. The favorite are stored on 510's internal memory and it doesn't provide a means of coping the internal files to the SD to make them portable. So you have to take your 510 to your pc and synch. Then you will have to decode the favorite file. You may be able to find a utility to do the conversion to POIs which then can be imported to a pc based map program.. The cheap axxes at navman don't provide a means to use their maps on a pc.. Further complicating the process.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

It's really complicated to do what you want. Why not list your favourites and simply use whatever mapping software you have on your PC such as Autoroute and mark all your favourites with pushpins - you can then print out the map/s with the Favourites marked that way Wink
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
It's really complicated to do what you want. Why not list your favourites and simply use whatever mapping software you have on your PC such as Autoroute and mark all your favourites with pushpins - you can then print out the map/s with the Favourites marked that way Wink

Too painful . . . .
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

Too painful . . . .[/quote]

Pain is good Twisted Evil

Alternative suggestion. Get someone else to do it for you.[/quote]
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Too painful . . . .

Alternative suggestion. Get someone else to do it for you.[/quote][/quote]
Actually I did do it. Wasn't too bad. Keyed name, long, and lat into Excel and imported it into Microsoft Streets and Trips. Fortunately you can key it in in exactly the format it appears on the Navman screen, just use + and - instead of EWNS, etc. (actually don't even need +). Kind of a lame workaround, but it does do the job.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

jimg wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Too painful . . . .

Alternative suggestion. Get someone else to do it for you.
[/quote]
Actually I did do it. Wasn't too bad. Keyed name, long, and lat into Excel and imported it into Microsoft Streets and Trips. Fortunately you can key it in in exactly the format it appears on the Navman screen, just use + and - instead of EWNS, etc. (actually don't even need +). Kind of a lame workaround, but it does do the job.[/quote]

Well done! There is usually a way! I shall look into using the same method myself.

GP
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

jimg wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Too painful . . . .

[/quote]
Actually I did do it. Wasn't too bad. Keyed name, long, and lat into Excel and imported it into Microsoft Streets and Trips. Fortunately you can key it in in exactly the format it appears on the Navman screen, just use + and - instead of EWNS, etc. (actually don't even need +). Kind of a lame workaround, but it does do the job.[/quote]

Wouldn't it have been much easier if all you had to do was remove the sd from your 510 which remains in the car, then plug your sd card into a reader/writer and plot your pois on a pc map then save them to the sd. So, when the time comes for your trip you just pop the sd into the 510 and away you go? These features could have been added with the greatest of ease, but weren't. Navman opted to remove the OS's file manager.. which you do get on the PIN version. They also restricted where their software looks for your personal POI's (Internal memory only) . Because you don't have the OS's file manager you can't move any files from sd to internal. Which why you are forced to bring the 510 indoors everytime you want to do anything with it.
The 510 is a real piece of work.
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

Scruge wrote:
jimg wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Too painful . . . .

Wouldn't it have been much easier if all you had to do was remove the sd from your 510 which remains in the car, then plug your sd card into a reader/writer and plot your pois on a pc map then save them to the sd. So, when the time comes for your trip you just pop the sd into the 510 and away you go? These features could have been added with the greatest of ease, but weren't. Navman opted to remove the OS's file manager.. which you do get on the PIN version. They also restricted where their software looks for your personal POI's (Internal memory only) . Because you don't have the OS's file manager you can't move any files from sd to internal. Which why you are forced to bring the 510 indoors everytime you want to do anything with it.
The 510 is a real piece of work.[/quote]
It is puzzling, the approach they took. I mean, the functionality we are looking for could be there and still be totally transparent to the user who only wants a navigation solution.
I am a little confused about loading maps directly onto the SD card plugged into the card reader in my computer. It is a lot faster, but it appears that you still have to have the 510 plugged in to do it. Am I missing something?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

It is puzzling, the approach they took. I mean, the functionality we are looking for could be there and still be totally transparent to the user who only wants a navigation solution.
I am a little confused about loading maps directly onto the SD card plugged into the card reader in my computer. It is a lot faster, but it appears that you still have to have the 510 plugged in to do it. Am I missing something?[/quote]

No, I don't think you are missing something. I think that it is just Navman's convoluted thinking about their system - a degree of overcontrol to protect their product. I'm sure we could all tell them the simpler way of allowing both protection for their product and at the same time allow customers ease of ability to manipulate the software to get a better personal setup.
Or is it just that they have not thought the matter through Question I hope they (Navman) read these forums and appreciate the frustration of their customers.
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

[quote="Gee-Pee"][i]I think that it is just Navman's convoluted thinking about their system - a degree of overcontrol to protect their product. [quote]

You're absolutely correct!
Oddly enough Navman maps (licensed or pirated) are more user friendly running on competing platforms. Why?
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

[quote="Scruge"][quote="Gee-Pee"][i]I think that it is just Navman's convoluted thinking about their system - a degree of overcontrol to protect their product.
Quote:

You're absolutely correct!
Oddly enough Navman maps (licensed or pirated) are more user friendly running on competing platforms. Why?

I think they intended it for a "Nav only" user. They probably figured a more advanced user would go with a PDA version.
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Favourites on PC Map Reply with quote

jimg wrote:

I think they intended it for a "Nav only" user. They probably figured a more advanced user would go with a PDA version.

I don't mine the nav only theory.. that's why I bought it verses the PIN. It was small and functional. I didn't want something I was having to setup everytime I got in the car.
Where Navman screwed up was with the "trip planning, favorites and POIs" and a lack of being able to use the unit off road. Considering they aren't having to support PDA functions they could have at least made the remaining NAV features more user friendly and complete. There is no reason I can think of for why I should have to dock the 510 to a pc other than to load maps. POIs, favorites and trip planning aren't copyrighted, they are only map vectors that could easily be saved to a SD card using just a reader/writer.
With all the cautions about using the 510 while driving, You'd think they'd make trip preparations easier by allowing you to load your destinations while in the comfort of your home or office using the just the SD which far easier to carry and pop in than the 510 itself.

just my 2 cents.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: