Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - hi there, new to this forum & need some help.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

hi there, new to this forum & need some help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: hi there, new to this forum & need some help. Reply with quote

ive just purchased a ipaq 1940 from ebay second hand. which is bluetooth enabled. i only have the PDA and no satelite yet, does anyone have any info that a GPS virgin should know ?

if anyone can help with what satelite/bluetooth device to use please let me know.

as i say, ive no experience with these and ive heard a few nasty rumours with the bluetooth connection.

is it only bluetooth i can use on this or is there something else ?

any advice will be greatly appreciated,

thanks
GPS virgin.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think you might be confusing some of the terms here.
Bluetooth is a radio communication system which is used to connect devices which are close to each other.
GPS receivers receive signals from satellites to find you position. (Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know Smile)

Since you have bluetooth you can use pretty much any receiver you wish, wired or bluetooth enabled. There is lots of advice on this site as to what software / hardware to purchase when you have a pocket pc to use it with.
houly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

open to any help at all mate

ive heard the Bluetooth seems to work ok on some PDA's then it crashes for some reason

was wanting an alternative, anyone give me any advice on which satelite to use ?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houly wrote:

ive heard the Bluetooth seems to work ok on some PDA's then it crashes for some reason

was wanting an alternative, anyone give me any advice on which satelite to use ?

I've never used Bluetooth myself, but yes some people have complained of unreliability. You are introducing an additional area of failure into the system which you don't have when it's all physically connected.

Since you only have the PDA you will probably be best off looking at one of the bundles which includes software and a GPS reciever. e.g. TomTom (www.tomtom.com)

Alternatively you could buy a GPS receiver and software seperately but this is likely to cost you a bit more.
houly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MarkHewitt"]
houly wrote:

Since you only have the PDA you will probably be best off looking at one of the bundles which includes software and a GPS reciever. e.g. TomTom (www.tomtom.com)

Alternatively you could buy a GPS receiver and software seperately but this is likely to cost you a bit more.

does it have to be a bluetooth GPS receiver ?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houly Said...

Quote:
does it have to be a bluetooth GPS receiver ?

Absolutely not - you can use a GPS which is wired to your PDA or of course you can use a GPS which connects via bluetooth - your option.

The problems you have heard mention about (and I admit to being a partial sufferer myself) seem to mainly be owners/users of the Ipaq 2210, but not exclusively. It seems that the main problems are with the following combination - Ipaq 2210, Bluetooth connection, maps on an SD card - If any of these 3 components are changed (say for instance, put the maps on a CF card as opposed to the SD card, then the problem seems to go away) - look below at my equipment and you will see that the fatal combination is exactly what I have!! Sad

So saying my system works fine, it seems to me to only have problems if I attempt to try to upgrade it to a later version of TTN 3 - see other discussions within this same forum - frankly whilst this is a tad frustrating, it is not as big a challenge as it could have been - mostly, as I use Sprite backup and can revert to my known working system within a few minutes if something does not gel as it should.

Make your decision as to which type of GPS and software you wish to use based on your own personal criteria and of course research within these forums.

Best Wishes

Steve
houly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help steve, its greatly appreciated

i think ill try the wired option as im sceptical about the bluetooth now.

if anyone is using an ipaq 1940, please tell me what you are using on it & what results you are having

thanks
houly
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have responded to your other thread on this issue

Regards

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: