Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CHKPOint auto sync or Pocket GPS data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CHKPOint auto sync or Pocket GPS data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashleey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: CHKPOint auto sync or Pocket GPS data Reply with quote

Hopefully, not a stupid question, but which traffic cam database should I use, the one that syncs with CheckPoint or the Pocket GPS one which I auto download with POI sync? Or are they the same, so should I clear up the double counting on my IPAQ 2210 (TTN3)?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're two completely different databases - I can only suggest you evaluate them both if you're not sure and choose which you want to use (or decide if it's practical to use both).

The Pocket GPS World database is reviewed by a human before every release, information is kept on mistakes that are corrected and so on.

The POIplace database, as I understand it, simply updates live as people submit changes. Superficially this seems attractive, but it can mean mistakes creep in, even the same mistakes repeatedly (for example if someone keeps mistakenly submitting the wrong speed limit for a particular camera).

David
ashleey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details. I'll stick with the Pocket GPS data which has served me well. Thanks to all who contribute in that. What's the better warner software though, CheckPOInt or POI Warner?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d recommend CheckPOInt 2.0.2 because it’s free. I use and like CheckPOInt, although I prefer GPSAssist.

The reason I recommend CheckPOInt is that it’s free. TomTom Navigator 5 will be available soon, and like all TomTom “common platform” navigation packages it doesn’t allow third party add-ons so CheckPOInt become useless. You use the built-in Proximity Alert feature of TTNav5 for warning.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Robert says, I don't see the point of buying "third party" warning plugins now. Navigator 5 does have a built in warner, but I haven't yet seen any information on whether Navigator 5 will have (or get after release) the ability to add software via an SDK.

Time will tell.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: