Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been running the TomTom Nav Pack (Navigator 4.4) for a few weeks and a few things are rather frustrating, but the worst by far is that the program never remembers favourites or settings (eg. POI audio warning for speed cameras) that I program in. They stay there as long as the program is running, but shutdown TT4 then start it up again - all gone!! Am I missing a setting somewhere here or something?? I can't believe its supposed to do this.

Another peeve with this version, which I am aware is based more on TomTom Go than TT3, is the lack of ability to program in more than one "via" or driveby, as in the itinerary section of TT3...

w.
tompkins69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have the solution, but do have the same problem!

I was given a TomTom3 + Ipaq 1710 for Christmas and couldn't initially get a signal. Managed to establish it was the windscreen of the car blocking the signal so got that sorted.

However, first day back at work and I've discovered it's not retaining any information I input, such as Home, Favourite, etc. Is this a known problem and does anyone have the solution? If not, I'm seriously debating taking this back and trying to get a refund as I believe it is 'faulty'.

Also (whilst on) is it possible to upgrade the memory on the Ipaq. I would love to be able to download the postcode database but don't have sufficient space.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings... Reply with quote

whatsisname wrote:
I have been running the TomTom Nav Pack (Navigator 4.4) for a few weeks and a few things are rather frustrating, but the worst by far is that the program never remembers favourites or settings (eg. POI audio warning for speed cameras) that I program in. They stay there as long as the program is running, but shutdown TT4 then start it up again - all gone!! Am I missing a setting somewhere here or something?? I can't believe its supposed to do this.

How are you exiting TTN ? It sounds like you're not exiting and at some point you're doing a soft reset. TTN always used to have a problem with v3 where if you hit the X to close, it didn't exit so the favourites although they looked like they were saved, they were in memory and not saved to disk, but tapping through the navigator menu and hitting the EXIT button actually saved the POI's/favourites.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I always exit thru the exit application button in the Navigator menus, and don't soft reset inbetween. Where are these favourites and settings saved? Presumably to a file/files in the installation directory. If it were a PC I would say that I didn't have "write permissons" on that directory, and hence data couldnt be saved there... ????? Could it possibly be something like that?

w.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such concept as write permissions on a Pocket PC - it uses the FAT file system, which doesn't support file permissions, not NTFS.

Later release of TomTom Navigator 2 and TomTom Navigator 3 use \My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings on the Pocket PC to store their settings files. I don't know whether this has been carried over into the software you have or not.

If it has, one possibility for these files being corrupted is if you're synchronising files through ActiveSync and have a permissions problem on the PC side. However, that feels unlikely, as the PC end of a synchronised files folder goes in your My Documents folder.

I'd suspect some kind of corruption of the settings file on the Pocket PC - in which case, if Navigator 2 and 3 is anything to go by, deleting the settings file(s) and letting Navigator rebuild it/them should solve the problem.

If you want to test this, I suggest renaming what you think may be the settings file(s) (or the folder they're in) first, in case you're wrong.

David
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them but nothing seems to be doing the trick. Renamed the files in My Documents to force TT to recreate - no go. Likewise renamed config files in the Program Files/Navigator directory and again no go. Did the same on the SD card - no go. Theres also a file on the SD card called "ignore_my_docs" which I tried renaming as well but this didn't help either.

At a total loss really. TomTom not remembering settings and favourites is ridiculous...

w.
SHADOW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings... Reply with quote

whatsisname wrote:
Hi all,

Another peeve with this version, which I am aware is based more on TomTom Go than TT3, is the lack of ability to program in more than one "via" or driveby, as in the itinerary section of TT3...Hi whatsisname...i found what dave suggested,going through menu to shut tomtom down saves the favourites that u have entered..tried it by just closing tomtom after entering favourites etc and found it did not save them when tomtom rebooted.. i am also running the ipaq rz1710 with a 512mb card absolutley stuffed with poi's without any probs atall..maybe you have a faulty unit as the first unit that i purchased from pc world kept locking up and that was using sd card supplied by tomtom without any poi's on it whatsoever.. Smile

w.
SHADOW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Nav 4.4 loses favs and settings... Reply with quote

SHADOW wrote:
whatsisname wrote:
Hi all,

Another peeve with this version, which I am aware is based more on TomTom Go than TT3, is the lack of ability to program in more than one "via" or driveby, as in the itinerary section of TT3..

w.
...Hi whatsisname...i found what dave suggested,going through menu to shut tomtom down saves the favourites that u have entered..tried it by just closing tomtom after entering favourites etc and found it did not save them when tomtom rebooted.. i am also running the ipaq rz1710 with a 512mb card absolutley stuffed with poi's without any probs atall..maybe you have a faulty unit as the first unit that i purchased from pc world kept locking up and that was using sd card supplied by tomtom without any poi's on it whatsoever.. Smile
..sorry about placing of last post.i was miles away.. Embarassed
VFRider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem after installing teh Safety camera database.

Cured it by buying a 256Mb SD card as the original supplied by Tom Tom was only 128Mb.

Hope that helps.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFRider - thank you so much - that was it... copied it to a 256 stick and that was it... :D :D

w.
tester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm - you guys have made sure that the SD card is write enabled? If the little slider on the side of the card is AWAY from the contacts then it is write protected.

Just a thought

Nige.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was one of the first things I checked...

Glad to have it sorted but its a bit daft that TomTom supply the SD card like that...

w.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this problem is BACK! Can't believe it. I started using TomTom 4.40 on an H2210 with a 303MMF CF card, and now it won't remember the settings again. Not even the GPS configuration.

Using the bigger SD card sorted this out before on the other ipaq, but I am using the very same SD card as before, and now no go. Could this be a setting somewhere I have overlooked on the Ipaq?

Anybody know what the file "ignore my docs" does?

Help!
Friko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The favourites are stored in My Documents/TomTom Navigator Settings/Great_BritainNavigatorSettings.cfg

It seems your card has a write problem.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figures that ws probably where the info was stored. My Documents is on the ipaq tho, not the SD card. TT4 is the only app that gives me this problem. The SD card is working flawlessly with TT3.07 and everything else - MP3s etc. Very frustrating. Given up on TT4 for the moment and gone back to TT3. Will wait for TT5 I guess...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: