Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob733
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: New user TomTom Navigator 2004 with Treo 659 Reply with quote

New user Navigator 2004 in a Treo 650 usin a I.Trek BT reciever. Also have Cobra All In One dash mounted NavOne 3000. The Cobra is a great unit but this post is about TomTom Navigator 2004.

So far, Jury is out BUT, I will say this. She will never, repeat never be a caddy for me on the pro golf tour. She (US lady) tells me to turn left in 80 yards - when there are only 20 yards left.

Cany you see her telling me on the 13th at Augusta to hit my wedge for 150 yards when it is only 70? Wrong. Fired.

That caddy would be on the plane home that day.

Point is, that so far, the distances are off even though 9 sats are fixed. Will run simo test with the Cobra and TomTom Treo to see the differences (and admittily, I have not had a chance to go through the whold manual (if there is a TomTom manual) yet. I do like the convenience and mobolity of the Treo/TomTom units compared to All In One units (easier to go from Caddy to Caddy at the tournaments) ha ha
\

Bob
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchy-inc wrote:
Is there any word on whether or not PPC2002 will be supported? I fear this will be a 2003 verion only. I for one cannot afford to buy a new PPC at the moment but really need the updated maps.

Although nothing has been mentioned yet about the hardware platfofms I have used the beta software on my 5450 which runs PPC2002. I didnt experience any problems with it, though I must say my main testing was with my 4700.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New user TomTom Navigator 2004 with Treo 659 Reply with quote

bob733 wrote:
New user Navigator 2004 in a Treo 650 usin a I.Trek BT reciever. Also have Cobra All In One dash mounted NavOne 3000. The Cobra is a great unit but this post is about TomTom Navigator 2004.

So far, Jury is out BUT, I will say this. She will never, repeat never be a caddy for me on the pro golf tour. She (US lady) tells me to turn left in 80 yards - when there are only 20 yards left.

Cany you see her telling me on the 13th at Augusta to hit my wedge for 150 yards when it is only 70? Wrong. Fired.

That caddy would be on the plane home that day.

Point is, that so far, the distances are off even though 9 sats are fixed. Will run simo test with the Cobra and TomTom Treo to see the differences (and admittily, I have not had a chance to go through the whold manual (if there is a TomTom manual) yet. I do like the convenience and mobolity of the Treo/TomTom units compared to All In One units (easier to go from Caddy to Caddy at the tournaments) ha ha
\

Bob

This is an issue that we have raised with TeleAtlas and NavTeq. The reason behind this is that a road is treated as a single line (for the purposes of maping) when you approach a slip road there has to be an arbitary point at which the two lines seperate. The mapping companies tend to make this half the road width back from the far split. The mapping applications then use this point as the marker for the turn.

That is why you get announcements that appear to be late.

Anyway if I was on the 13th at Augusta I wouldnt listen to what the caddie said, I would just enjoy myself :D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_D wrote:
Good review, and nice looking product! Being a Tomtom 3 Navi user I find being stuck in a jam on the M25, and then having the option of going --> Alternative routes --> Avoid M25 absolutely invaluable. It then replans whilst I'm sitting there without me having to leave the M25 early for it to automatically recalculate.

Do the test users here know if Navi 5 also offers this feature?

Many thanks,

Simon.

It certainly does, and if you subscribe to TomTom Plus with the traffic service you might get routed round it without having to tell it. I am still waiting for the Plus beta to start running. It mainly depends on the quality of the data reported to TomTom by the traffic providers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxr1000 wrote:
in the pocket gps staffs opinion would you say the latest teleatlas maps are better than copilot 5 navtec maps

This is a difficult question.

My personal experience is that with the current release the map data is similar for both NavTeq and TeleAtlas in my area and where I drive to normally Birmingham/Essex/Suffolk/Kent. Having said that the A120 Braintree bypass is not in either mapset. NavTeq managed to survey and include the new A130/A1245 before Teleatlas.

It is generally acknowledged that the NavTeq maps are better in Ireland than Teleatlas, but the coverage is still somewhat sparce.

Bottom line is it really depends where you live and drive to. I am fine with either map providers and have rarely had any problems the most major ones recently have been the M6 Toll, the A130, and the A120, none of these have been a huge problem for me.
S_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
S_D wrote:
Good review, and nice looking product! Being a Tomtom 3 Navi user I find being stuck in a jam on the M25, and then having the option of going --> Alternative routes --> Avoid M25 absolutely invaluable. It then replans whilst I'm sitting there without me having to leave the M25 early for it to automatically recalculate.

Do the test users here know if Navi 5 also offers this feature?

Many thanks,

Simon.

It certainly does, and if you subscribe to TomTom Plus with the traffic service you might get routed round it without having to tell it. I am still waiting for the Plus beta to start running. It mainly depends on the quality of the data reported to TomTom by the traffic providers.

Thanks for the response. I'll add it to my shopping list in May!

Simon
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some questions if you will indulge me:

1. Does TTN5 support WM2003 SE i.e. VGA resolution?
2. Will there be a CD option so I can install it on my current 1gb SD card instead of having to swap cards?
3. I'm assuming there will be updated maps - to which date approx are they updated to?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donka wrote:

2. Will there be a CD option so I can install it on my current 1gb SD card instead of having to swap cards?
3. I'm assuming there will be updated maps - to which date approx are they updated to?

VGA is supported and has been on the new common platform since the introduction of the HP edition.

If you have the maps of Europe I assume they will be supplied on CD (I dont know yet) and you will be able to install lots of maps to a 1GB card.

The maps we are testing are from Teleatlas release 2004-2 (October 2004).
wth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the SDK for tomtom3 still work with this new version.
When will it be released?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there will be a new SDK. There has been no indication when this will be available.
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know if the maps are contemporary. As we all know, TT has a habit of releasing maps with glaring errors and omissions, omitting roads built sometimes years before its relase date. I hope they've addressed the crappy map problem before I upgrade...

Thanks for the review: v helpful
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
donka wrote:

VGA is supported and has been on the new common platform since the introduction of the HP edition.

If you have the maps of Europe I assume they will be supplied on CD (I dont know yet) and you will be able to install lots of maps to a 1GB card.

The maps we are testing are from Teleatlas release 2004-2 (October 2004).

Thanks for the update Mike. Am I right in assuming then that it will be possible to install Nav5 and supporting files (maps etc) onto your own storage card and not have to go with the supplied SD card?
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MikeB
MikeB wrote:
Dave didnt include an example of the full postcode search in the review images. If you chack out the GO software review you will see the full 7 digit postcode shown. Check out www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-5.php for the GO review. Everything you see there also applies to the PDA version.

The menus have been changed to a tap menu system

To be honest I didn't check it out until now. And yes it appears to be 7 digits postcode search.
So now I checked it out. I mean to check it was not a composed picture. So let's go for results:

Postcode CM202DE -> School Lane
Absolutely wrong, School Lane at Harlow has several Postcodes, none of them this one, and following the words of the review they should appear in the list before an Unnamed Street to let you choose the one you're interested.
BTW, School Lane have CM202QB,CM202QD, CM202QE, CM202QL, CM203QA and CM203GN.

CM202DE is a postcode for a PO Box. It's geographical situation is the same as the next one CM202DF, a industrial state in Edinburgh Way, never School Lane.

From my point of view it needs a lot of "workshop" job still. Postcodes accuracy is no more than 20 yards around, never half a mile. And it doesn't show the rest of postcodes for School Lane, that even when wrong should be there, unless TomTom have not the full data.

Jose Adell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:

From my point of view it needs a lot of "workshop" job still. Postcodes accuracy is no more than 20 yards around, never half a mile. And it doesn't show the rest of postcodes for School Lane, that even when wrong should be there, unless TomTom have not the full data.

Jose Adell

The 'average' Postcode covers 15 addresses, but can be as many as 60, and can cover a span of about 400m. The first fact from the Post Office, the second from experience.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy
Oldboy wrote:
Nomada wrote:

Jose Adell

The 'average' Postcode covers 15 addresses, but can be as many as 60, and can cover a span of about 400m. The first fact from the Post Office, the second from experience.

I'm aware of that, but doesn't apply to this case, where there is a different postcode every few yards don't you have enough with the ones I related?
Nobody is blinder that those that want not to see. Just check it as I did.

Jose Adell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: