Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NavMan announce the PiN570 PDA Navigation system.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NavMan announce the PiN570 PDA Navigation system.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2 devices (in different vehicles) TomTom Go Classic and Navman PIN570, so far I can say that TomTom certainly has the easier UI and anyone can pick it up and use straight away ,though in my opinion TomTom is overpriced with scant map detail despite the nice UI.

Navman 570 is a refreshing change from TomTom ,more detailed options better clarity mapping though does take some getting use to ,the icon driven menu will grow on you.In total I've used 5 devices having used TomTom Mobile for Orange SPVc500 and John Lewis's Mapsonic Zire 72 bundle & Acer Destinator n35.

Start up/fix time on the 570 is the quickest in my opinion.I find that the map sometimes lags behind the voice prompt (though my brother has TomTom on a PDA and reports the same).Journey planning is good though I'm not sur of the point of the slide controls for 'Shortest' 'Quickest' and more or less 'Freeway' use, something like TomToms preset options would have been better.

Route calculation is fast.

The 570 certainly has exactly the same body as the n35 though does'nt do a hard reset each time I charge it ,the Acer was returned because of that fault.Destinator was'nt my cuppa - very slow in all aspects.

The PiN 570 has no issues with roundabouts though seems to have the same map quirks as other sat navs especially near my office where TomTom,Navman,Mapsonic & Destinator tell me to drive up a wrong way street.

The trip planner is easier to use on the Navman.

Out of the box operation ,easy set up.

My preferred unit is the Navman ,wife uses TomTom.

Can't comment on earlier Navman products - never owned one until recently.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't edit my post so I'll ad something I forgot.

In the city amongst tall buildings Navman appears to have less 'spin' than my TomTom.

The search options on the 570 allows postcode search and intersection search.
isitdust
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The Nacman 570 is an excellant Sat Nav device

BUT - and there is always one??

Where can I find Speed Camera location software for this device

As an aside

Where can I find a Sat Nav golf program?

Best regards
Peter
merlin1957
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Navman Pin 570 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to run Fugawi UK Digital Maps and GPS on a Navman Pin 570. Have purchased the Navman Pin 570 mainly for avoiding having my wife having to navigate!! Wondered if it can be used with OS maps for walks.
OffRoader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a 570 for a few months now, there is no problem adding speed cameras etc. (using active sync) to the poi's with audio and visual warnings, and they work very well. I find the unit generally very easy to use as does my wife.

There is however a problem with the maps.

The system comes with SmartST 2005 or so it says (mine came with SmartST 3.50.0510), I'm not sure if that's the same thing.
So far it's only been used in the south of england.

In Hampshire last week, a "keep right" followed by "at the roundabout, take the first exit" caused a minor irritation because there is no access to the first exit. It should have said - Keep LEFT and TAKE THE SLIP Road before THE ROUNDABOUT.

In Ramsgate in Kent there are 2 roundabouts missing completely (one of them has been there for at least ten years to my knowledge).

In Sandwich in Kent, directions tried to send me the wrong way round a one-way system and there is a roundabout missing there too.

I have tried to update the maps/software from Navman but they insist the 570 comes with the most up to date software and maps available, (what does that mean in terms of publication date I wonder ????)

The only other gripe is the Activesync cable, which has a piggyback charger cable, you can only charge the unit with them both plugged in - what a pain.

Why cant we have a sensible cradle/stand for charging/conecting ????

ALSO - can anyone tell me if I can get nautical charts to run on it so I can use it in my boat.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Navman pin cables/accessories Reply with quote

I have just acquired a Pin 570 and some information may be of interest to many users or can be taken for future reference.

As many may have already known, Pin 570 is an Acer N35 clone (I do not have one).

It can use all the cables/power accessories that n30 use except host cable.

Yes it does have a serial port as well and you can connect external GPS (if you ever need to) through the bottom serial port.
richvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Navman PIN 570 Reply with quote

I found this - Acer n35 GPS Handit Multidapt Ca at Expansys.com. Cost £12.72 + vat. It works a treat, and it charges the Navman as well.
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly this is one awful piece of kit

i was full of hope when i got it but instead ended up putting my old navigator 3 onto it.

software is crap frankly - 5 digit postcode lookup and hellish address lookup probs, just a re-hashed smart st v2 with no real benefits, just the poi changes is the only real movement forward they have made

as a pda it is poorly specified with poor battery life and poor connectivity

out of the box - with no other progs. installed i got "out of memory errors" - with it being slow to lock on and by comparison to my new go300 - i am sure i am 2 or 3 miles down the road before i mange to fire the pin up and look up an adress

just my 2p
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

further to above i arent a newbie

starting with a psion series 5 and tom tom ( yes the old grey screen)

navman ipaq smart st v1 (arguably the best)
xda with smart st v2
xda 2s with copilot 4 and 5 (really liked 4 alot - better than 5 stability)
pin 570 with copilot 4, navigator 3 and smartst 2005 installed (gave up on smart st for good now - too finicky to lookup places)
now tom tom go300 (1st impressions are great - maps arent as pretty as smart st, but as a package it is the most complete and fast software
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on and a cheap bargain priced navman 4410 smart st v2 (hmmmm....)
dax71cobra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: NAV-MAN PIN570 MOTORWAY ACCESS THROUGH SERVICE STATIONS Reply with quote

Im new to the gps world ive been using my pin570 for about 3 months now, and I cover a large area of the country from Bristol up to Manchester on the m5/m6 route and across to northampton on m6 /m1.

The unit has worked fine with no problems apart from the odd way it tries to send me off at service stations to use their access roads to get to A roads or local B roads.

I would have thought these would have been marked as no access roads since we are not aloud to us them for any reason has any one any ideas on why this happens? Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fault to be found in the V3 data; it has been corrected in the 2005 release.
dax71cobra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried to up date the unit but none are listed on the navman site?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: