Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BTGPS for in-car and mountain biking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BTGPS for in-car and mountain biking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V0oD0o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: BTGPS for in-car and mountain biking Reply with quote

Hello there!

I've recently borrowed a friends PDA and BTGPS system as he's gone on holiday for a month and doesn't need it.

It's fantastic. So, I'm thinking about getting one myself. However I'm not sure what to get.

Tom Tom will be the road app I go for.

I want a BTGPS that is good in the car and I can take mountain biking with me too. Is the Tom Tom one good enough for this? Or would I be better off getting a differnet BTGPS unit?

I've had a look through the forum, and a search on the web, but can't really find much to do with my question. Aplogies if this has already been covered and I missed it!

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for offroad mapping for on the bike?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as water proofing is not an issue then the TT GPS would be fine, see {url=http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/otterboxes.php]this article[/url] for solutions to use oustide. Brodit have a version of the Otterbox specifically designed for bikes with a quick release mounting system.

As for mapping, Memory-Map is the obvious solution for off-road use.
V0oD0o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply dude.

A friend tells me that the new Emtac is better than the tom tom, is this true? Or is there not a lot of difference?

Cheers,

Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little in-it. My preference would be a GlobalSat, better battery life and a physical ON/OFF switch rather than a software controlled one.
nigelw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of setting up my off-road system.

My PDA is a Dell Axim X50v, with MemoryMap OS 2004 software which now supports VGA mode (I've TomTom3 for road use). Originally I had a SDIO GPS card, but this couldn't stand the vibration and kept disconnecting, so I've now got a BT Fortuna ClipOn. I went for this primarily because it's Sirf and has both normal and Xtrac modes. I can use the normal mode in-car to avoid Xtrac delays, and use the Xtrac mode off-road where signal might be a problem but speed isn't. The first test I did with the BT unit in the bum-bag wasn't completely succesful, there were track errors where there really shouldn't have been so it might need an external mouse to make it work better - the SDIO card was Xtrac and that was almost perfect on the same route using its external antenna.

I have got an Otterbox 1900 which I've just modded to fix a Ram mount to it. I only did this last evening so I've not had any chance to test it yet. I'll be doing a ride this weekend to see how this new setup works. If it's dry I'll probably use the BT as a clip-on to see if the signal is better as I've not got the external antenna yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: