Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD501 GPS Receiver not working with Ipaq 2210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD501 GPS Receiver not working with Ipaq 2210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Channi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: SD501 GPS Receiver not working with Ipaq 2210 Reply with quote

Hi there peeps.

I recently bought a Globalsat SD501 SDIO GPS card from EasyDevices.co.uk to work with my Ipaq 2210 and TOM TOM Navigator 3. From alot of the reviews and stuff, this kit is meant to work fine! But hell no! I tried to start the GPS card using TOM TOM GPS. I selected the SDGPS card and NMEA 0183v2 4800. When I tapped on the blue box, the hourglass just kept on going round and round all night. Had to do a soft reboot to unlock it!

I couldn't get it to work at all so called EasyDevices.co.uk for technical help. They advised that I should update my ROM on the Ipaq (version1.10) and the SDIO drivers from hp website. Did all that and I still had the same problem. So I installed the latest drivers from the Globalsat website. Now the problem is even worse! I stick the GPS card in the SDIO slot, tap TOM TOM Navigator to open the app and the whole thing just freezes! I can't even get to the GPS software. A soft reboot does brings life back to the PDA, but I'm begining to feel that this card is more trouble than it's worth!

Someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! This is doing my nut in!

Ta very much!
Metsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Almost identical SD-501 problem Reply with quote

G'day Colleagues

My problem seems to be almost identical to that described by Channi. I have written a bit more about what has happened. I hope someone can give me guidance about what my problem might be.

Just before Easter I took delivery of a GlobalSat SD-501 SD GPS unit. I have a HP iPAQ 2215 PocketPC PDA + 1GB Compact Flash. The iPAQ h2215 has SDIO support. The model is specifically listed as a compatible device in the SD501 literature.

I installed the software and inserted the GPS. As far as I can see everything worked fine for just a couple of days. It then stopped working. By stopped working I mean that the red LED doesn’t come on and the PDA does not receive any satellite data. Below I’ve tried to describe everything I can think of which might help someone diagnose my problem.

Briefly, it seems to me this may be one of three things. If anyone can help work out which of these three, or make a further suggestion, I’d be most appreciative.

1. Faulty software installation. This seems unlikely. I say this because a) the software installed easily and, apparently, correctly and worked properly, immediately and b) the software was working and then the unit stopped without any (known to me) changes to the software.
2. Faulty PDA, or PDA software. Also seems unlikely. a) The PDA still reads my SD memory correctly (although this may not be conclusive) and b) the GPS does not work in an alternative PDA. I have also updated the BIOS and installed an updated SDIO driver as suggested by the manufacturer.
3. Faulty GPS. To me this seems most likely, given that it is very new and was working one minute and stopped the next. Another thing is the internal movement I can feel. Can someone else who has an SD-501 tell me if the inside components move if you gently shake it?

I purchased the GPS for a trip to Europe commencing at the beginning of May, so I am anxious to sort it out as quickly as possible. If there is someone out there who feels they could talk me through this I’d be more than happy to ring, just about wherever you are.

Long Description of Issues and Problem

The GPS arrived in apparent good condition in the original packaging. I say apparent because everything appeared undamaged. However what I do notice is that I can feel ‘movement’ inside the unit if I gently shake it. This movement seems to be in the ‘fold-out’ antenna section.

I installed the GPS software and I also installed the supplied “GPS info” software on my PDA. (I already had “MS Pocket Streets” installed). I then connected the GPS. Each step of the installation went smoothly with no error messages or hitches. All worked fine and both the “GPS info” application and “MS Pocket Streets” seemed to perform flawlessly showing GPS fixes and correct position on map.

The next day I attempted, but failed, to load NavMan software onto the PDA, - a serial number issue which I need to sort out with the supplier, and which should have nothing to do with the GPS issue, as I will explain. I then went out on the road with the GPS/PDA. (Still using “MS Pocket Streets”). For a short while the PDA worked (the red LED came on) and, within a little while, found some satellites and located me on the map (the red LED blinking). Then, fairly quickly, within a couple of minutes, the GPS turned off, the red LED went off and stayed off. I then performed a ‘soft reset’ on the PDA. The GPS turned itself on again and again found a fix but then, again, quite quickly, turned itself off. Because the GPS worked, albeit briefly, after my failed NavMan installation I have discounted that as the cause of my troubles

I then took the PDA/GPS home and fully recharged the batteries just to make sure that was not an issue. (although the PDA did not indicate low charge). Still no red LED. I then performed a ‘Full (or Hard) Reset’ on the PDA. After checking that the Full Reset had removed everything I re-installed the GPS driver software and the ‘GPS info’ software. Still the red LED will not come on.

This left me unsure whether the problem lay with the PDA or the GPS.
I checked that the SD slot will still successfully read SD memory cards. I found a colleague who also has a HP iPAQ h2215. I installed the software and fitted the GPS unit. Still no red LED. This seems to indicate that the problem is with the GPS unit.

I am able to make some observations about the behaviour of the GPS unit using the ‘GPS info’ software.
When the unit was functioning correctly there was a continuous stream of data in the data window of the “GPS info’ ‘Setup’ screen. Also, in the ‘COM Port’ selection box, “COM7: MANF-SD501-CARDID” became available (the string may be longer, but that is all that is visible). Without the GPS inserted there is no ‘COM7’.
Now, however, when the unit no longer functions correctly, the ‘COM7: MANF-SD501-CARDID’ still appears in the list of Com ports when the GPS unit is inserted. But no data stream is apparent. There is a “Cold Start” button. Tapping that causes just two brief lines to appear, viz: $PSRF | …OK No red LED appears on the GPS unit. Is the fact that ‘COM7: MANF-SD501-CARDID’ still registers when the GPS is inserted significant and, if so, how?

Both the supplier and the manufacturer have suggested installing the ‘HP iPAQ Pocket PC h2200 Series SDIO Driver Update’ (SP27102) (found at the HP website and recommended by HP also) (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/download/20674.html) I also found, also on the HP website, a ‘HP iPAQ Pocket PC h2200 Series ROM Update’ which is also recommended by HP. I have installed that too. None of these steps seem to have made any difference.

Since these troubles began I have tried removing and reinserting the GPS unit countless times. I have used a tissue to clean the contacts. I have tried attaching the booster antenna and the external antenna. All to no avail. Except for one very brief flicker of the red LED. This one brief flicker seems to me to have some significance, but I don’t know what/how. This brief flicker occurred only one time as I was inserting the plug of the booster antenna into the little brass socket on the side of the main body. If there is a dry solder joint could some small internal movement have been enough to induce a dry joint to temporarily reconnect? One thing is that it is just enough to tell me that the LED is, in fact, working. I can’t help wondering if there is a dry solder joint?

Can someone tell me what further steps can I take to troubleshoot the issue? (or have I done everything I can?)

I hope you don’t find this email too verbose, but I’d rather you have too much information than not enough.

Thank You
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: