Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 268, 269
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 268, 269
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: POI Observer Reply with quote

I agree - things need to be simpler, but I expect that Mitac did not want 'enthusiastic amateurs' having a go.

I used the Mio today out on test and the Gatso warnings and it all works perfectly the following was taken from MioSkins but using the Google autotranslator which may help I have tried to improve the English. Follow it and you should have no problem setting the system up:-

Method of installation of sound alarms for POI via POIObserver:
Prérequis - the file ' Observer.obs' :

To function, ' POIObserver' needs the file ' Observer.obs' which is one of the resulting file from running the creation POI by the program ' POIConfigurator.exe' of ' POIBatcher V2 '.
When you use ' POIConfigurator.exe' to construct a set of POI, you must fill in the columns ' IV WAV' and ' IV Dist' so that the file ' Observer.obs' is created at the same time as your POI.
' IV WAV' corresponds in the name of the file WAV which will be played the approach of a POI and this file WAV will be played ' IV Dist' meters of the POI.
Please refer to the tutorial creation of POI with ' POIBatcher V2 ' and to the documentation provided with this software.
Now that you have your file ' Observer.obs' you can continue your installation.

Installation of the software :

# Start by downloading ' POIObserver' and ' IniObserver' on the site:
http://www.navifriends.com/
# Décompress files obtained in a directory of your PC.
# Sub-directories are extracted from these files. They are ' POIObserver_Virtcom' and ' IniObserver' which we need.
# Copy ' VirtCom.dll' (which you found in ' POIObserver_Virtcom ') in the directory ' \Windows \ ' of the Mio.
# Copy ' POIObserver.exe ', ' IniObserver.exe ', ' VirtComMgr.exe' and ' POIObserver.ini' (which you found in ' POIObserver_Virtcom' and ' IniObserver ') in to a Directory of your choice on Mio;
we will take for example: ' \Program Files\POIObserver \ '

Installation of the sound files :

# The sound files are associated a type of POI using the software ' POIBatcher V2 ' during their creation (see the tutoriel in the heading ' Creation of the POI ').Place the file(s) ' WAV' in a directory called ' Sounds' under ' POIObserver ';eg ' \Program Files\POIObserver\Sounds \ '.
# Copy the file ' Observer.obs' created by ' POIBatcher V2 ' in the directory where you installed ' POIObserver' ( ' \Program Files\POIObserver \ ').

Configuration of Mio :

# You will have to edit a file which is on Mio. For that, copy it to the SD card or use activesyn to get it. The files is called ' \My Flash Disk\mnav_ucf\prefs.ini' (a simple editor as Notepad is enough). Open it is Notepad
# Modify the line ' comport = 2 ' in ' comport = 0 '.
Then copy the file back to the mio to replace the original in ' \My Flash Disk\mnav_ucf\prefs.ini'

Configuration of POIObserver :

# On the Mio, go in the directory where you copied the files of the program (probably ' \Program Files\POIObserver \ ').
# Launch the program ' VirtComMgr.exe '.
# You must modify the value of the ' Source' in ' COM2: '.
# You must modify the value of the ' Virtual COM Port' in ' COM0: '.
# Click on the button ' Res' then on the button ' Activate '.
# Leave ' VirtComMgr.exe '. - this looks a bit odd as it stays on the screen - touch the bottom right of the screen to bring up showbar and then select desktop from the rinning programmes.

Starting of a navigation :

# Launch ' POIObserver.exe' and click on ' Activate '.
# Click on ' Minimize' to reduce the window.
# Launch MioMap and carry out a navigation as you are accustomed to doing it.

Test :

To test your installation, you will have to make an approach in the vehicle of a POI concerned. You cannot see whether all functions while remaining motionless.

Désintallation :

# To return to the use of MioMap without ' POIObserver' it is enough for you to:to return in ' POIObserver.exe' and to click on ' Deactivate '.
# to start again ' VirtComMgr.exe' and to click on ' Deactivate '.
# to give the file ' \My Disk\mnav_ucf\prefs.ini' Flash in its initial state (' comport = 2 ').

When you have created your own POI sets copy the whole subdirectory to the MioMap directory, then copy the observer.obs file to the subdirectory where POIObserver is located.

Good luck - it is worth the effort.
GPS4Me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Mio 269 and it has been OK so far. It did not want to reroute on the first day but after that it manages to reroute on the fly when i purposely choose not to use its plotted course.

The only thing I don't like is that the 'Fastest Route' option seems to be the route that has the fastest rods, and not the actual quickest route to get you from A to B.

I have not installed the software onto my laptop yet, so cannot comment on that at the moment.

I do intend to unlock the OS so that i can install POI, etc.

Does anyone have a speed camera database for Germany?
allenb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Mio 269 unlocked Reply with quote

I to have just be missold the mio269 by Halford claiming i would be able to load speed cameras Ect but they would not exchange
Not to be out done (as a novice on tec stuff) i followed the instuctions on gpspassion site and have unlocked the thing i will now make sure i find out how to get all the POI i need Twisted Evil
GPS4Me
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that this unit is missing is a the ability to use traffic information. I know that other similar devices do have this functionality, so does anyone know what we have to do to be able to use traffic information?
jas13272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have just about sorted my 268 for the camera database thanks to neil.
just need to sort out why the bmp files dont seem to work.
the warnings are spot on now.
thanks again neil.

jason
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: BMP files Reply with quote

When you are creating the POI using POIBatcher you need to spoecify the name of the bmp file, not the route structure so " gatso.bmp" not "c:\bitmaps\ etc etc". Most important is that you preceed the name of the bitmap with a full stop/period mark ".gatso.bmp" this 'tells' POI batcher that the file will be located in the correct directory eg

Place the file(s) ' WAV' in a directory called ' Sounds' under ' POIObserver ';eg ' \Program Files\POIObserver\Sounds \ '.
# Copy the file ' Observer.obs' created by ' POIBatcher V2 ' in the directory where you installed ' POIObserver' ( ' \Program Files\POIObserver \ ').

This all works perfectly on the Mio 269
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 5 on Mio 269 Reply with quote

One other point if all the messing around seems to much like hard work, TomTom Navigator 5 works exceptionally well on a mio - faster than the miomap, and in 3d mode keeps up with your progress unlike MipMap which IMHO is poor and sometines a second or so behind reality.

Handling of POI is much easier in TomTom - I have sucessfully managed to download all the Saftey Camera data/ bmp files etc plus the revised alert sound files so that the screen shows correct icons and announces the speed that you need to ensure you are traveling - very easy as you can just drop the files in to the map directory location on the mio.

One issue that I have noticed - and I think that it is connected to the fact that you have to remove the GAPI Gx.dll file, -if you press any of the hardware buttons on the mio, the ability to zoom the map and use the 'show map screen' to locate points is corrupted - you lose the icons - dont do this and everything is fine.

I am liaising with a bloke in germany on a revised GAPI file that might solve this problem.

Regards
jas13272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil what file name do you use for for the folder for where you place the bitmaps.
ie for the wav file you name the folder sounds.ive tried the bmp's in various folders but obviously i need to know the name that piobserver is looking for.all i get at the moment is a red box with zoomed in text with the name of the wav file in it.

cheers jason.
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: bmp files Reply with quote

Don't put them anywhere. Poi batcher will create the necessary files in its output. just point the file path in poicofigurator to the correct bitmap and it sould do the rest. i will send you a file of uk data if you send me your email address in a private message.
seansharkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Configuration of POIObserver :

# On the Mio, go in the directory where you copied the files of the program (probably ' \Program Files\POIObserver \ ').
# Launch the program ' VirtComMgr.exe '.

When I try to launch VirtComMgr on my 268 I get
Quote:
Cannot find VIRTCO~1 (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.
I'm trying to launch it from the SD card. VirtCom.dll is in the Windows folder of my SD card.

Can anyone give me a little help please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Sean.
jas13272
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seansharkey wrote:
VirtCom.dll is in the Windows folder of my SD card.

shouldnt it be in the windows folder on the mio.
if you follow neils instructions above it will work.

jason
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Dll and new file Reply with quote

jas13272 wrote:
seansharkey wrote:
VirtCom.dll is in the Windows folder of my SD card.

shouldnt it be in the windows folder on the mio.
if you follow neils instructions above it will work.

jason

Jason is correct, I have sent you the files to have ago at for starters. I know that this is a pretty straightforward file at the moment so I will try to get a chance to create a more complex file using different warnings for the diffeent camera types and might add a few other poi to test. When I get the file done I will send it through to you to see if you find it any better.

Neil
BishBosh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Just to say great post Neil its worked a treat for me on my mio269.

Any chance you can email me the files too. Wink
Thx Bish.
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Files Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have created some new files this evening which show up the 30,40,50 speed icons correctly against the locations of the speed cameras plus a few other poi such as McDonalds and Travelodges, but the icons are white numerals on transparent background - they don't how up as clearly as jus a plan box camera icon - I think the plain icons are better. If anyone wants the June file them please include a valid email address in the private message, and I will forward them to you.

As a request to the Pocket GPS World hosts, could you include a section on using POI batcher / Pbserver and VirtCommMgr in the Saftey Camera Database section - all the interested parties could download a latest file.

If not then I will try to keep up with peoples individual requests.

Regards to all
NeilBennett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Revised DX.dll Reply with quote

Just in case anyone had not seen my separate posts, I now have a functioning GX.dll GAPI file for the mio 269 which does not require removal to enable TomTom to function. Interested then visit

http://www.wincesoft.de/index.html althouh I dont know if the revised file has been posted. Let me know by private message if you need this file.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: