Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapsonic on a T3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapsonic on a T3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
networkned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Mapsonic on a T3 Reply with quote

I've got a Palm T3 and I'm looking for a GPS solution. A couple of the guys in the office have got TT3 on their PPCs and I've got the demo of Mapsonic runing on my T3. My view is I'm already different 'cos I'm running a Palm, and I like Mapsonic so why not be different again, but if anyone's got any comments........

Before I take the jump in and buy Mapsonic, does anyone know if you can import POI files, generically any POI list but specifically the pocketgps.com speedcamera ones, into Mapsonic.

Also, can anyone recommend a GPS receiver? I'm not worried whether it's wired or bluetooth - they both need hooking up either to work or charge and I'll only be using it in the car.

Oh, and thanks to pocketgps.com - a great, informative site that's answered nearly all my questions. Thanks guys.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be really different, use Mapopolis....

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
networkned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....... There's different and then there's something of which I have no experience!

I've heard of Mapopolis, but never seen it. The usual questions apply: is it any good? what does it look like? how accurate is it? etc
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call Mapopolis THE ultimate geek tool. It is my personal favourite, for speed and house number accuracy and map management and size and and and...

The maps are standard NAVTEQ - as good or bad as all the others.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapsonic on a T3 Reply with quote

networkned wrote:
Before I take the jump in and buy Mapsonic, does anyone know if you can import POI files, generically any POI list but specifically the pocketgps.com speedcamera ones, into Mapsonic.

Also, can anyone recommend a GPS receiver?

I have been using MapSonic for a few months now (never used TomTom or any others though), and having got used to a few quirks I think it works great ! Make sure you have an SD card for maps, and keep maps down to 80Mb in size to avoid memory problems (well I had to, you might not).

Importing POI's functionality is really good, you need to download the free poiedit utility, this will convert ov2 (the standard files for POI's) into .asc files which Mapsonic uses.

Then you need to edit the bitmap logos down to 16x16 pixels (easy to do in any paint package).

Then in MapStore (the PC side of Mapsonic) go to edit -> types of POI and add a new type, select your bmp image and give it a name - eg GATSO

Then click the Pm map pin icon at top of MapStore, this will flick you into POImanager, you then browse to the .asc file you created in step 1, select the POI type you just created in step2 ,and say yes to sync to PDA.

If your doing a bunch of these (ie the 5 speed camera files), when it asks you to hotsync to PDA press cancel, and repeat this part 5 times, then you can do a single hotsync to import all the POI files.

When you import/update the POI's you need to reselect the POI-W (warning) types on the PDA, as these are cleared when you update the file.

I have the fantastic Speed Camera database running and it works brilliantly, I also have imported a bunch of POI's for Hotels etc, and also have several categories of my own for friends etc so they each have their own icon showing on the map as I drive around which is nice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: