Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What does TT Record in the Log (.pgl) File?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What does TT Record in the Log (.pgl) File?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lokksta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: What does TT Record in the Log (.pgl) File? Reply with quote

So what exactly does it record?

I have TT3 and I recorded a small trip I did earlier, I used Oldie's rather handy LogConverter program to convert the .pgl file into an .asc (Autoroute Pushpin file), and it seems as if TT only records the name of the point, latitude, longitude and time. Is this right? I though it recorded speed, altitude, number of sats etc. aswell, am I wrong?

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're using a GPS talking to TomTom in NMEA, your .pgl log file will be a text file containing all the NMEA strings received from the GPS unit, plus a few reference lines inserted by TomTom at the very start of the file.
That's why the files get so big so fast - typically you're receiving around 200ish bytes of text per second from the GPS unit (it varies depending on which strings your GPS outputs, plus some strings aren't sent every second). If you're curious, look at the file in any text editor or word processor, and get a reference to NMEA strings by googling for e.g. "NMEA FAQ".
lokksta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Barry.

So, if I understand correctly, what the log file contains is dependant on the capabilities of the GPS receiver?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To an extent, yes - though TomTom Navigator wants details on direction and speed, otherwise it doesn't work properly.

The best thing to do is look at a .pgl file in a text editor alongside a reference on NMEA 0183. You'll soon get a good idea of what is there.

David
SteveF48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Can't read TT Log Reply with quote

When I copied a TomTom Log (.pgl) file to my PC and opened it in WordPad the results were hieroglyphics.
I tried several of the Windows XP codesets, but they made no difference.
How do you persuade ActiveSync to make the file readable when it's copied?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your GPS in SiRF mode? If so, then the .pgl is in SiRF binary format, which you'll need a program to decode.

NMEA output is just about human readable - it should consist of lots of lines all (or almost all) of which begin $GP

David
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What does TT Record in the Log (.pgl) File? Reply with quote

lokksta wrote:
So what exactly does it record?

I have TT3 and I recorded a small trip I did earlier, I used Oldie's rather handy LogConverter program to convert the .pgl file into an .asc (Autoroute Pushpin file), and it seems as if TT only records the name of the point, latitude, longitude and time. Is this right? I though it recorded speed, altitude, number of sats etc. aswell, am I wrong?

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

On some GPS receivers it is possible to request additional NMEA information. Altitude values are read from the $GPGGA records whilst speed and course values are read from $GPRMC and $GPVTG records. The satellite numbers used in a fix are read from the $GPGSA records. The extra information will be shown in the AutoRoute Pushpin balloon.

Richard
SteveF48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Can't read TT Reply with quote

It finally dawned on me that my GPS was in sirf mode.
I can read the log not that I've chnaged it NMEA.

Now I need to find something that will read sirf.

BTW what's the advantage of sirf?
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: