Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI/Voice Announcements Now Working!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI/Voice Announcements Now Working!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update Sunday afternoon:

- CPL5 US v48 with UK male TTS voice (resinstalled) makes NO POI announcements nor ANY traffic directions although POIs are pinging and popping up on the PDA's screen.
- Roundabouts referred to on-screen as circles - no problem except they're "silent circles". Other traffic directions appear on screen as normal.

I've now loaded the UK female WAV files to replace UK male and will try this soon with the US 48 version.

If this fails, I'll assume that the US program versions DO NOT work with any UK voice files, whether TTS or WAV. This is a real shame because US v48 seems to work much better than my UK v22, so maybe I'll have to revert to UK v22 and wait for an updated UK version to be made available on the ALK site.

What a carry on!!!!
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Snowy mentioned earlier, I also bought CPL5 on the strength of the review on this site. Hook, line & sinker - I was taken in big style. How can the review have been so wrong ? Did the reviewer actually test this out on the road ?

I had no previous experience with in-car GPS before CPL5, and even after 1 day, I was less than impressed. I would have thought an experienced reviewer would have discovered the shortcomings of CPL5 very quickly and warned us all to keep our wallets in our pockets, instead of lulling us into wasting our money.

I don't know if any ALK employees actually read this forum (if not, they should be forced to), but if I was one of their employees, I would feel deeply ashamed that I was making money out of such a poor product.

As soon as it's released, I'll be buying TT4. Never again will I buy anything marketed by ALK.

A still very disappointed BAZ
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:

I would have thought an experienced reviewer would have discovered the shortcomings of CPL5 very quickly and warned us all to keep our wallets in our pockets, instead of lulling us into wasting our money.

Well, some of the bugs only crop up after extensive, prolonged usage of the software on a variety of routes and different situations that will not occur during testing.

Like yesterday, it calculated a route from one town to another, I stopped at a store in the first town, chatted with the owner for an hour, came back to the vehicle: CoPilot was still open and the next turn displayed on the screen as expected, but as soon as I moved, the program shut down!

In the same town, it attempted to guide me from downtown to the highway and it took a dead-end residencial dirtroad for an on-ramp 8O
Grandad1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Snowy I followed your instruction to get poi voice working. happy to say it worked first time after weeks of trying,
Would be interested in finding out how to use a saved gps track to run a simulation, its a long way to a safety camera to try the unit out:D
Regards Mike.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as Kar98 says, a reviewer might have acceptable results from his or her initial tests and, certainly, some problems require longer use to become apparent. Unfortunately, that does not excuse prolonging the situation by effectively denying the existence of faults or inadequacies, or insisting that there are suitable adjustments available on the forum, on the basis of assumptions rather than facts. After all, Copilot 5 does have a Planning mode, so the forum team can easily check any route that a user posts on the forum. As several routes have been posted, I wonder if they actually want to know whether the routing errors exist???

For more on this subject, please see the saga on the following two threads:

Sticky: CoPilot 5 ETA - Tweaking Road Speeds

and

COPILOT 5 UK ROUTING

For the PocketGPS team, and for ALK, it is time for action to set the record straight.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to getting Speed Camera POI's working correctly with version 5.0.1.48, you must always set the slider to one notch from the left before exiting the Options dialog. This will create the following entry in your preferences.cfg file.
Code:
[POIApproach]
"PathWidth"="0.1"

If you set or leave it on the left notch, it will set the PathWidth to 0.0, and the POI's will work very erratically, if at all. If you set it higher, it will pick up cameras on parallel roads. I believe that one notch up is equivalent to the old lefthand notch, and is probably necessary because of the bug that decrements the notch setting each time that the Options dialog is used. I use these values with a Lookahead value of 0.2 mile.

And thanks to CrashBiker's post on the other thread about editing the language.cfg file, I now have the English version for roundabaout, etc, working with no problems.

Also while I'm here, I use Excel to replace '@' by 'AT' (with no spaces) in the speed camera files, and CoPilot happily pronounces the words 'Gatso XXX at 40', etc. Maybe the monthly XLS files could always be created in this format.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: