Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SD Card Version Owner Insights...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SD Card Version Owner Insights...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ditch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: New SD Card Version Owner Insights... Reply with quote

I've recently jumped onto the Mapopolis band wagon and thought it might be worth sharing my reasons here for existing, and more importantly other potential users still sitting on the fence. This won't be a fully detailed review but I may follow-up with one after I've spent more time with the program.

BACKGROUND

Over the years I've owned a number of self contained hardware and software based GPS solutions. From the Magellan Roadmate 700 (beautiful big screen, very nice 3D view, easy to use but bulky, limited software and a somewhat inelegant windshield mounting system), the Garmin 2620 (Nice mounting options, solid software, awkward integrated audio & power design, also somewhat bulky), to the EMTAC Bluetooth GPS receiver in concert with programs such as the DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2004 (Overall simply a poorly designed and executed piece of software) and others going back a number of generations that no longer even merit mentioning here...

My goal has been to find a reliable and well designed navigation system for the occasional use in my home town (rarely needed but still nice to have) and for when traveling into unfamiliar cites. As such I wanted something that was easily moved between my home vehicles (a Hummer H2 and Kawasaki ZX900 motorcycle) and rental cars. While I liked the simplicity of the Magellan and Garmin solutions, their bulk (and lack of battery options) limited their usefulness to me in the long run. To date no software only solution has proven fast or elegant enough to satisfy me.

Recently I purchased the Navman ICS 510 after reading a number of reviews and evaluating it's assets (highly portable, battery operated, large screen, 3D view & SD card map based). Sadly as a VERY happy Mac user, this product was not going to serve well as it's software was only PC based and while I was able to load a number of maps onto a 1GB SD card after a fair amount of hoop jumping, decided that what I needed was a fully integrated system that was either compatible with my Mac or did not require use of an external computer to utilize. As I prefer the Palm platform to that of the Pocket PC, I became even further limited in my choices (by the way, the Navman is essentially a Pocket PC that has been fully dedicated to GPS navigation without the PDA functionality).

RESEARCH REWARDED

After somewhat exhaustive research, I found very few options available for me. My configuration (a Zodiac 2, a 17" Powerbook G4 and an EMTAC GPS Bluetooth Receiver) didn't have many friends where software is concerned. Enter the Mapopolis SD Solution! Upon discovering that Mapopolis worked with the Zodiac and even allowed me to demo the software with my Mac, I saw a ray of hope! I wasn't really familiar with this product but reading reviews and opinions in the forums it seemed that I might have finally stumbled upon the solution I was hoping for. My preference of course would be to have full Mac support and go with the software version as I'm somewhat concerned as to how (if even possible) will I be able to update my SD card software, not to mention the maps?

The good news is that my demo of the Mapopolis software answered the following burning questions:

1. It worked with my Tapwave Zodiac 2
2. It tethered effortlessly with my EMTAC Bluetooth GPS
3. It had a reasonable POI database
4. It appeared to integrate with my Palm address book
5. While not fully supporting the Mac platform, an SD card version (containing the whole nation) was available that didn't rely on a computer and...
6. The company offered a 30 day Money Back Guarantee on the SD card version

That was enough for me to take the plunge! I ordered my copy and much to my surprise, received it a day ahead of scheduled delivery!

The contents of my package (a FedEx envelope) were somewhat sparse consisting of a small brown envelope containing the SD card and a single plain printed page of instructions. It might have been nice to at least include a protective SD card case, but that was by no means a deal breaker.

Upon installing the card into one of the SD slots on the Zodiac (it has 2 slots built in), I was happily surprised to see that the new version not only installed over the demo, but did so without any hiccups. Be forewarned however that if you have routes on your PDA from the demo version, they will be lost once the newer SD card version installs itself.

Looking at the newly installed program, I noticed a few subtle differences between the main screen on the demo and that of the SD card version. i won't get into detail here of the differences but needless to say, the SD card contained a more updated version of the program.

IMPRESSIONS

First off, the program does merit my respect as it truly is a fully self contained, computer OS independent, complete nationwide GPS linked navigation program on a single 1GB SD card. For the price of $161 including 2 day FedEx shipping, it's a reasonable value and respectable product solution! Bravo Mapopolis!

On the large Zodiac screen, the map and operations were fairly easy and natural to navigate. Screen redraw and operations while at times a bit slow, they were certainly usable. Like many other programs of its kind, the directions it provides were often not very direct or logical, but did seem to get you to your destination all the same. When I took alternate road choices, Mapopolis really shined in its ability to recalculate a new route in a very short time (generally on 3-10 seconds). I was also impressed that the voice navigation (while a bit rough around the edges), was able to respectably speak the individual road names and quite audibly to boot. While like many others, I would prefer a female voice, it works just the same and that's what counts. With its compact form-factor (a single SD card), total US coverage that works on my Zodiac, quick route planning and recalculations, perfect compatibility with the EMTAC Bluetooth GPS module, the ability to navigate either with or without my GPS module, solid voice aid... this product WILL be my navigation solution for the foreseeable future.

While Mapopolis clearly meets my current needs (and I suspect that off many others as well), perfection is unfortunately still only a dream. Other than the sometimes slow menu response, a few other issues did rear their ugly heads. As mentioned, I am concerned about the future upgradeability of the SD version program and maps (and to date have not found any answer to that question), had a number of problems with the program's ability to pull addresses from my Palm address book. It had no difficulty in finding the address based on a name or street, but then often wouldn't allow me to use that address for navigation purposes (it worked on some addresses and not on others)? Often I had to manually enter the street before Mapopolis would accept the street for a search. This was very annoying as the tie in to the address book is a valuable feature that should be consistently reliable, at present it is not. Of course like so many others, a 3D view option is nice and when I tested the one Mapopolis supplied, quickly disabled it as it was clearly an afterthought and not useable in real terms. Besides, I wouldn't trade speed for graphics at this stage of the game like another use mentioned in their review.

As for a wish list, personally I would like to see on the main screen the next upcoming street name displayed like the Garmin does. This is a VERY useful feature and one I strongly suggest be implemented (not only when going to a specific address, but have the option to use at all times). It would also be nice if several other color schemes were built in, or even the option for an automatic night mode based on the hour of the day (since a sensor is out of the question).

CONCLUSIONS

Overall, this is a solid, well designed, and reasonably priced product! Hopefully it will be upgradeable and improved in future versions as suggested, but if you're looking for a highly portable Palm based navigation solution that doesn't rely upon a PC for map loading, this is unquestionably the answer to your dreams!

I hope this write-up has been of some value to those of you considering this program or looking for a Mac friendly (kind of) Palm street navigation solution. Now as a private pilot and outdoor enthusiast, how about a version that I can use when hiking, or flying a plane?

Hope you enjoyed it!

Cheers Cheers!

Markus
Ditch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the error, but it's the Navman ICN510 not ICS510.

Also, if anyone wants a great deal, I'll be placing my Navman ICN510 up for sale shortly on eBay. It's still in the box, with everything (GPS Unit, Suction Mount, Case, Chargers, Manual, Software CD pack... still in their original plastic bags (including warranty card) just as new. If you want to pick it up before I place it on eBay please PM me soon through my address here at Pocket GPS World.

Thanks! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: