Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem using POI-sync to transfer POI's to my icn510.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem using POI-sync to transfer POI's to my icn510.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simondrury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Problem using POI-sync to transfer POI's to my icn510. Reply with quote

Have successfully imported POI's to my 510 using the Navman desktop but would prefer to use POIEdit autoupdate.

However the imported POI's end up on the 'root' of my unit, when I look at it through windows explorer and do not appear as POI's in the unit.

I notice that there is a 'set target file' dialog when I highlight a poi and then click the + PDA button in autoupdate manager, but there is nothing to select and the refresh button makes no difference.

Is it possible to use POI-sync with my device? Does Navman use .ov2 files or do they need to be converted?

Appreciate some guidance - thanks.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can use POI Sync, and your iCN510 uses .csv files, not .ov2.
simondrury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. Are there any more efficient ways of installing POI's than the Nav desktop anyone?

Also does anyone know how I can delete a specific sub-group of the pre-installed POI's? I'd like to get rid of the Post Office/Post Box indicators if possisible, but leave the rest of the Amenities group.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the answer to both of your questions is, unfortunately, no.
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have researched this area myself. Unless anyone can correct me :

iCN510 uses its own proprietary method of storing POIs. It uses .map, .bm, .ini and .chk files.

The desktop software converts lat and long coardinates and a text description into the proprietary system files and then copies these to the MyPOI directory. I do know from my own attempts to inspect the Navman format that there is the ability to store other text information like address, phone number etc. in the POI database, and indeed this is done for the pre-configured POIs files.

I cannot find any information on the proprietary storage format. I cannot find any other software that can also create the Navman POI format or "decipher" it. I do know that you can copy the .map, .bm, .ini and .chk files between units and therefore transfer POIs.

Our only hope seems to be to wish for some clever programmer-bod type member of this forum group to maybe (and purely for personal interest) inspect the Navman Desktop software's POI editor module and form a clear understanding of how it compiles it's data. Maybe said clever programmer-bod might then be able to release a little utility to allow us to modify, compile or decompile the Navman proprietary storage format, and therefore give us more functionality.

Any clever programmer-bods out there looking for a challenge Question Question
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to store the address for a custom POI rather than just a name for it would certainly be beneficial.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Shameless bump ...

Any clever programmer-bods out there reading this !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: