Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice for a new lorry driver !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a new lorry driver !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quality
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Advice for a new lorry driver ! Reply with quote

Hello people, my first post and just looking for advice on which product I should buy ?

I start my new job on Feb 22nd as a nationwide 7.5t lorry driver, now maps and me dont go very well so I`m going to buy an all in one unit to make my life easier.

The one that looks the best is the tom tom go, nice design, loads of features and a decent price. Looking on the amazon website the reviews I`d say are 90% good and 10% not so good.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that a new buyer should look for in a unit ?

Thanks a lot for any replies.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Quality

I would look for a product with gps software that can do a proper postcode search, can be programed for multi destinations (your multi drop off's), and can use the Safety Camera files from this web site.

You may also need to purchase an extension antenna if the unit cannot see the sky from within your lorry properly.

Also make sure that the power lead supplied can be used in a lorries 24v system if that applies to your lorry.
quality
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, apprechiate the reply.

Could yourself or anyone else recommend a suitable unit at a reasonable cost (£400) that would do what I need as the last thing I want to do is spend my money on something that I later regret.

I have read loads of reviews on units, some are good some are not so goos so just a bit of knowledgable advice would be apprechiated please.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's various options - to be honest, you'd probably get on with any of them. Go is certainly a popular choice with its TomTom software, though there's now "all in one" products available that are based on Navman, Navigon and Destinator software, as well as the Garmin units. The important thing to remember is that you can't usually change the software on an 'all in one' unit from what's supplied on the unit.

Alix may be able to offer some advice when he's next around, though he has some concerns that you don't (as he drives an artic).

As has already been mentioned, you'll need to make sure that anything you buy is suitable for 24V electrics if your 7.5 tonner is 24V.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: