Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GR 230, HP Ipaq 4705 and BT manager
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GR 230, HP Ipaq 4705 and BT manager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geographicallyembarrassed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Holux GR 230, HP Ipaq 4705 and BT manager Reply with quote

I bought a Holux GR 231 at the beginning of January to go with a new Ipaq 4700. Followed the instructions to establish a connection between the GPS and Ipaq without difficulty. GPS Viewer (GPSV) showed GPS data transmission on COM 8 successfully. However, I subsequently had problems with getting Tom Tom Navigator 3 to detect data transmission - it did not have COM 8 in its database. A colleagues GR 230 worked so I thought the problem was with the GR 231 and Holux UK kindly accepted the GR231 back and replaced it with a GR230. They did say that they tested the product and found no fault with it.

I have followed the instructions to connect GR 230 to Bluetooth Manager (BTM) and that has been successful, with the caveat that whilst signal strength initially seems ok, it then falls off from 5 x green bars, to 3 x yellow bars and then 1 x red bar when I check the connection 'Status' in BTM. I had exactly the same problem with the GR231.

GPSV intermittently detects the GR230 on COM 8 and it seems like a bit of a lottery as to whether or not it does detect it. Problem seems acute after installing Tom Tom.

Tom Tom did work ONCE with the GR230 (once more than with the GR231!) but I cannot get it to work again.

I thought there might be software clash between Tom Tom and GPSV so uninstalled GPSV but still cannot get Tom Tom to see the GPS on COM 8 at 9600 Baud.

I then uninstalled Tom Tom, reinstalled GPSV and GPSV found the GPS on COM 8 at 9600 Baud.

Tom Tom only offers me COM 5 on NMEA Bluetooth.

I cannot help but think that the problem is actually being caused by BTM but cannot be sure. I have been lost in the middle of nowhere since early January and desperately need to navigate my way back home! Does anyone out there have any light they can shed on this problem?

Regards,

Geographically Embarrassed
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Could I just ask what version of Tom Tom you are running and what SD card are you using?

Holux UK Technical Support
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. thanks for the response. I am operating Tom Tom Navigator 3 and using a PNY Technologies SD card.

I have been reading some of the other forum entries about similar sounding problems and wonder I have problems associated with altered baud rates. I have ordered the GR230 data cable on your web site tonight to see if this helps to address the problem.

Any other thoughts you have would be welcome.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed Tom Tom Navigator 3 and GPS View now detects the GR230 on COM 8 again. It looks like there is a clash between Tom Tom Navigator 3 and GPS Viewer.

Any thoughts?
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I have cracked it. The Ipaq 4705 is running Pocket PC 2003 and the version of Tom Tom I was running seems not to have been compatible with it. I downloaded an update and it is now working. Will test again over the weekend.
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Glad things seem to be working for you, I was going to suggest upgrading your software, so hopefully that should solve your problem.

Kindest Regards

Steve
Holux UK Technical Support

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: