Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Have now formatted 128MB SD card. Tried initially to set at FAT32/32 but failed on a number of occassions to re-install maps. Reformatted to FAT16/16 and installed map successfully (whole GB).

Now I am able to navigate to favourites and set a Route To and from using A-B. Still unable to navigate to home, although I am currently trying to naviagte to Home from home location (had a drink therefore can't drive anywhere and too cold to walk!). However instead of hanging the system like before it just closes out of TTNAV2 instead.

One thing I did notice is that having re-installed the map this time I got a TT disclaimer which I had not seen following the first install of TTNAV2. I did not re-install program - just the maps. Will test out over next couple of days and see if more stable than previous.

RobMob
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

It's all useful so thanks Richard, if nothing else we'll compile the data and pass it to TomTom.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Dave

Looks like some of the F1 teams are using TTN2 to get (unsuccessfully) round the Brazilian circuit!

I have no problems with crashes on a 3850 with cf+ sleeve maps on 128mb sd card and my pretec cf-lp card. The only other program I run is the pretec driver.

Looks like old hardware is the way to go!
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Richard,

In another thread Dave suggested this.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Storage Tools from SoftWinter.net
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Which program do you use to format and defrag your SD cards?

Richard
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

I hope this info is of some help. I'm running Ipaq 5455 & Navman3000 jacket 256mb sd & 256mb CF (both sandisk) Though I havn't had the terminal lockups or crashes you have had. I have noticed quite bit of storage card instability which wouldn't clear up with defrags or fat repair.

I run a local 'london' 16mb map in my sd card so I can do local walking navigation without the gps sleeve & the big 'uk' 92mb map in my navman jacket for driving etc.

To clean up the cards I copied down all the folders & map files on the cards through explorer onto my desktop (do not use uninstall, as you want to retain the registry information), also please remember to copy all the files down off your cards (i.e. my documents , backup files etc and make sure you ar eviewing 'all files' as some system files can be hidden).

Next you need to re-format the cards and set the cluster size to 16kb (people might argue that this cluster size is to big as it stores data in 16kb chunks potentially leaving quite a lot of slack space where as 4kb chunks would be more efficient) but I think the instabiltiy and slowness might be down to the fat (file allocation table) gets bloated / corrupt? So increasing the chunk size reduces the fat size considerably.

Lastly copy back all the files you moved onto your desktop back on the card. I noticed a big improvement in the loading time & map searching speed.

I also noticed that the copying (to and from) of the big 92mb map file through explorer was much quicker than the install of maps via the tomtom installation programme, and I suspect that the install routine doesn't copy the files very efficiently (and it might be better to install them to a local desktop folder first (which is one of the options)).

Good luck!
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Hi

I have just started using TTNav2 (my first GPS system) on a recently purchased iPAQ 3830 with a 128MB SD card and a new EMTAC jacket with a 256MB CF card. I have installed the TT software on the iPAQ and the total GB map on the CF card.

I am still waing for the arrival of a vent mount from the USA, which means that the unit is either 'floating around' on the console or on the front passenger seat.

I don't appear to have any problems with acquiring signals, routing or re-routing (automatic) after deliberately deviating from the route but have noticed a 'Current-Location-Reporting-Problem' in Navigator which I have posted as "Anomally in Navigator View". Clearly my 'problem' is insignificant compared to those experienced by others.

It seems that Tom Tom haven't allowed themselves sufficient time to 'perfect' their software to run on newer hardware.

This approach reminds me of an article which I read in the dim-distant past in a car magazine about the then current Jensen Healey c. 1970's (anyone old enough to remember that). The title of the article was something like "Engine by Lotus, gearbox by Sunbeam, body by Jensen and development by Customer". How times have changed, not!

If I have a major gripe, it is that I find their address database totally whacky as they have no practical knowledge as to how UK addresses are organised. This does make address-location tedious, to say the least.

Here,s hoping TT issue a large patch shortly.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

I did some 'real world' use of TTN2 this weekend, and this list of complaints on the thread sounds very familiar.

I'm using a:

- iPAQ 3970 with ROM 2.00

- TTN2 program loaded in main memory

- Sandisk 256 SD card with entire UK loaded onto card

- Emtac BTGPS

Friday night - Chelsea to Canary Wharf - the unit worked flawlessly. I was in seventh heaven.

Return journey (now with girlfriend in car) - disaster. Every time I selected my girlfriends address (saved as a favourite) - the unit would crash in Navigator view. Required reboot several times - sometimes would freeze (with clock symbol) sometimes the program would just disappear.

Eventually got around this by selecting an address near my girlfriend's house - this time it worked.

This weekend - trip to the Cotswolds - numerous crashes. Especially unstable after turning combination off and then on again.

Like others, I've found the map view to be relatively stable, and it's the Navigator view that's a disaster.

This is VERY buggy software. I've just spent over £800 on this combination and am feeling just a little disappointed.

Unless Tom Tom releases a fix soon - I recommend waiting for Garmin's new iQUE unit - an integrated Palm / GPS. The Garmin platform seems much more stable.
@lexis
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Just ot inform you that I have no problem with TTN2 french version on

- HP Jornada 568, installed on CF 256 Mo along with France MAP (220 Mb)

- Compaq iPAQ 3630, installed in RAM with Paris MAP (16 Mo).

Alexis
musicreative
Regular Visitor

For those using the iPAQ 3970, which version of the ROM are you using? Version 2.10 has problems, particularly with the SD card drivers - TTN1 just wouldn't work properly with the new ROM using an SD card. This is also the case with the iPAQ 3950 and ROM 1.11 vs 1.0. HP changed the SD card drivers and the SD card access is much slower than the previous ROM versions.

My advice is to stick with the earlier ROMs and do a clean install of TTN2. Don't add any of your own POI files or other software and then test. If all is well, then add 1 item/application and test again. If that's OK, add the next and test, etc. This will allow you to determine where the problem manifests itself.

Just my £0.02 worth.

Tim
RichardS
Occasional Visitor

I have tried the Navigator app on both the SD card (it's a Panasonic one) and in PPC memory, and with maps on the SD card and in PPC memory, nothing helps. And this is after a factory re-init of the PPC, so there is nothing else running to get in the way.

Just to add even more to the woe, I notice that in my properties dialogue, under "advanced", all the text on the checked options is absent unless I have cleartype fonts enabled. And it tells me to turn around (if possible!) in the one way street past my house...

Seems to be a mixture of those where everything is fine (I am envious), and those (like myself) where there are problems. It might be related to storage medium, but I think in my case I have proved it not to be the cause.

I wonder if it is related to processor? My Toshiba has an Xscale. Does anyone have it working properly on a Xscale PPC?

Richard
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys,

I think my sanity may just have been restored by reading the above messages, I too have been expriencing loads of problems with Navigator 2 on my new Ipaq 3970. Mainly not being able to select points on the map as favourites, being unable to select points on the map as either departure or destination. I also have emailed TomTom support detailing all the problems I have been having. The topic I started can be found here if anyone is interested.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=62&TopicID=1628&PagePosition=1

Lets hope TomTom address these problems soon or I dare say they will be getting a few copies of Navigator 2 back.

Richard
planetc
Occasional Visitor

I think I have established that the bulk of my instabilities have been related to the sd card. after last nights format it has been perfect all day, until just now when i tried to add a poi database to the card. Boom! card wouldn't let ttn read it again after that, so i am now formatting and reinstalling the maps once again. I think I'll invest in a higher quality card!
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

iPaq 3870, 128Mb Expansys SD Card, Emtac Bluetooth.

I'd never formatted the SD card - just used it straight out of the box without problems with TTN1.5.

Installed TTN2 today - initially noticed just how slow it is. Took it out for a test drive trying out the new 3D view. Navigator screen stopped responding after 5 minutes. So far not so good at all. The machine didn't lock up, but it stopped displaying anything of use.

I don't want to sit around and wait for the sluggishness of the software (who is who's assistant out of us two?!), so it looks like I'm going to have to delve deeper and start playing with the settings of my SD card. Hmm.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: