Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

What state should the MIO be in when I soft reset please?

Hi again oldboy,

Oops, I now see I've mistakingly replaced the file on the SD card. I've only just realised there is the same filename on the device. What does the file on the SD card do? Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reset the unit simply prod the reset hole with the stylus, do this with the device switched on, however if you have replaced/ put the new file in the location you have said (SD card) then it simply won't work.

The revised data.chk file needs to go into the programs/ navigator folder (as Richard explained) - the existing data.chk file should be re-named first to old_data.chk before using copy/ paste to put the new file into the correct location then soft reset. (As a tip never delete files allways rename them, confirm your revised selection actually works then either copy the old file to the Hard drive of your PC, or Memory card of the Pocket PC, in the case of the Old_data.chk file; once its working and copied to a hard storage area delete it from the programs/ navigator folder, this frees up around 1MB of memory, which on a PPC is well worth doing)

You shouldn't have replaced any file on the SD card by copying the new file there, where did you put it? in the voices folder per chance - the only files containing the .chk extension will be in the voices folder but these are the navigation voice and each file has a number allocated to it (dataXX.chk where XX can be any value from 01 to 99) whereas the warning file has no number simply data.chk

Put the revised data.chk in the correct location and reset the device then configure your camera alert warnings - Mike
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike / Oldboy,

MANY thanks for all your help. Sorry I missed something that should have been obvious. The original Tom Tom SD card contained /tomtom/data.chk. So this was the one I replaced first. I have now repalced the correct one on the device memory (once again, many thanks) and now have the appropriate voice alerts - so that's great. I shall probably re-instate the original data.chk to the SD card. Laughing
haitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got through around 10 pafges of the thread and hadn't seen an answer to mt q'n so apols if there is one.

Using TT5 on WM5 PPC (Axim X51V)

Is there a version of the ovice file that hasn't tampered with the sound that traffic uses for a change in traffic status? Or that plays something appropriate for that? At the moment it uses "Temporary". Which send me into a panic when I am, of course, doing no more than 70mph on the motorway but realise that they usually put the temporary cameras in 40mph roadworks.

I don't want to play with the file myself as I'll probably break it - I'm good at that sort of thing!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen a voice file that fits the description you make, your only way to obtain this would be to create your own data.chk file, I appreciate your concerns re "breaking it" but it is easy to do. Have a look at THIS for a way to alter the data to your own specific configuration - Mike
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The voice warnings are excellent but I find their relative volume too low. However, I'm sure a preceeding beep would make all the difference.

Using This how is it possible to concatenate two sounds, e.g. 'beep' + "warning mobile 70" please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the POIExtend utility to stitch together your own data.chk file, to concatenate (do you use Labview per chance?) two .ogg files you will need to use a third party audio editor application, there are loads available try a Google using the term OGG and see what it finds - Mike
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike I'll have a look.
gipsyrover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As almost a complete novice to Sat Nav I tried installing the new warning sounds for the speed cameras on my Nokia 6680 TomTom mobile 5 build 443 via your instructions and everything worked perfectly first time. Went out in the evening to test them and hey presto!, found all the cameras and the new warning sounds worked 100% .Can't wait for more to be made available :D
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Thanks to Mullet for creating the Spoken Voices with the Alarm preceeding the speech.

I have just downloaded Rays POIExtend, followed the very clear instructions and created myself all of the verbal warnings for the various cameras from this site.
Anyone using the Speedcamera database should really have this on their GO... you won't go back once you've tried it!!

Well done Ray and Mullet

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
yebaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a data.chk file for ver 5.210 (5430) please.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is for the PPC, there is one in the table on this page.
soundsmugglaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Voice warnings Reply with quote

Hi can anyone tell me where to get Mullets sounds from? Are they up on the site or do they need to come straight from the man himself?
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice warnings Reply with quote

soundsmugglaz wrote:
Hi can anyone tell me where to get Mullets sounds from? Are they up on the site or do they need to come straight from the man himself?

Straight from the man himself, you could try sending him a PM (personal message).

You also need to check whether "Mullets" sounds are suitable for your SatNav.

It's always best to state what system you have, people are also more likely to reply.

I'm not sure how much of the thread you have read, but the main difference with Mullets sounds are that they have been extended at the beginning with another noise before the main announcement.
If you don't particularly need that, you could just download the normal ones for your system or create some using "Rays Extended" voice warnings.
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice warnings Reply with quote

soundsmugglaz wrote:

If you are the same person as "sysinfo" considering the question is exactly the same, I have just answered your question on the other forum (YourNav)

But basically, from Mullet. you could try dropping him a PM.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 53 of 73

Jump to: