Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - audio connection to bluetooth headset from PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

audio connection to bluetooth headset from PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianoplayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: audio connection to bluetooth headset from PDA Reply with quote

Hi all I hope as my first post I don't make too much of a hash!!. Embarassed
I am a 65 yr. old deaf (pertinent) idiot with a problem that I feel is solveable if I can get the right technologies together!
I have recently set up a tomtom gps system with my fujitsu-siemans pda this works admirably with one minor hiccough - the audio from the pda is just not adequate given the engine noise + wife and other distractions.
I tried using a pair of mp3 type headphones but the wires get in the way!!
So I purchased a logitec Mobile-Freedom bluetooth headset which in spite of the protestations on the box ("suitable for mobile phone and PCs. ") Sad defied all attempts to produce audio, Confused the pda recognised the h/set but during the pairing process declared "this device has no services to offer" I contacted logitec who informed me they could not help and advised that I try the h/s on another machine. Other options I have considered would be to wire the pda into the stereo system (not favoured) or amplify the pda audio out via a separate amplifier, however I still feel that if logitec sell headsets for use with PCs they must be able to handle bog standard audio.(what else can a headset deal with?) How or what modulation system is used by bluetooth or what software is required? Anyone out there with any ideas
thanks in anticipation
pianoplayer
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD FIRST POST.... sorry to shout but you did say you were deaf! :D
I don't know enough about your Logitech headset to offer any sensible advice, but is there a button to press, or press and hold to activate the pairing process on the headset? Although your PDA can "see" the headset it may not be able to access its resources until they are made available.

Another, possibly more elegant, solution to your problem would be a mount with an onboard amplifier such as those available here http://www.brodit.com/, look for products on the left handside of the page and then scroll down to PDA handhelds and click on the + and then scroll to holders and click on the + again and then to holder with speaker, (sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but the page is quite "busy").

Another less practical solution (in my opinion) would be to buy one of the cheap mobile phone amplified speakers that plug into the cigar lighter in the car and have a wire to a "clothes peg" type device with a rubber cup on the end that clips over the speaker on your PDA, this would then necessitate 2 cigar lighter sockets or a double adapter, presuming you are powering your PDA via a cigar lighter socket of course. These things cost around a tenner from Tescos or your local market stall etc.

Good luck

Jon.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here may not be the headset at all, rather the Bluetooth stack on the Pocket PC. If ithis misses the Audio Gateway Protocol then the Pocket PC has no way of knowing how to forward the standard audio to the headset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluetooth specification (have a read if you like) is indeed pretty overwhelming. instead of just one executable you have clients, servers, intermediaries, all kinds of layers, protocols, profiles or services - and all this on your poor little Pocket PC.

In this particular scenario the server/service must provide a way to hook into the audio circuitry for the standard sound and redirect it to the headset channel. This requires both the presence of this "" Audio Gateway protocol"" (the word profile can be used too) AND the knowledge of the Audio hardware. So pretty soon this becomes machine specific.

Each Pocket PC or Pocket PC Phone or Spmartphone or dumb phone consequently have their own unique implementation of the bluetooth stack (collection of services, profiles, and security mechanisms) making it very difficult to extrapolate. But it has been done, for example you can install the BT stack of the iPAQ 5550 onto the iPAQ 3970 - they share some of their hardware.

Have a read at www.xda-developers.com . Those guys are pretty advanced when it comes to Bluetooth manipulation.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: