Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Navigator 2 GPS or Socket GPS ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Navigator 2 GPS or Socket GPS ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royalty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TT Navigator 2 GPS or Socket GPS ?? Reply with quote

The next question for me is, do I go for the current Bluetooth Socket/Emtac solution and change my map software as well to TTNav2 - or, hold on for the Navman Bluetooth which I think is due out in the next month or so and therefore keep my much preferred SmartST s/w?

Choices, choices! Anyone have any more info on the Navman wireless GPS particularly on UK release dates?
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TT Navigator 2 GPS or Socket GPS ?? Reply with quote

UPDATE :

I've recently updated the ROM on the IPAQ 5450 to v1.10 and had to reinstall the TomTom Navigator software. I now find that the headphone output to be significantly louder than it was before.

I had previously installed the Headset update from HP and also the Loud voice files, so using the update should not have affected anything.

The new update (v1.10) included the Headset output patch, so i'm not sure if it has louder features or if reinstalling the voice files made the difference.

I now find that the output to the speaker is fine even on the motorway.

Ash.
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

As previously mentioned, I've already tried doing this, but I didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ash.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

I've seen a "loud" option in the voice prompts - go to change voice prompts on the cd upon installation. Let us know if the volume level's any better if you choose to go for this option?
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't want to go down the route of using the FM Tuner as I wanted to be able to play some music (at low levels) and still be able to hear the GPS (in a perfect world). My search continues ..........

Ash.
ldj111
Occasional Visitor

Ps. Here is a link to one of those FM Transmitters.

http://www.fingertech.co.uk/arkon_SF121.html
ldj111
Occasional Visitor

POst by ash_99:

"Speaker level on the 5450 is very low. I've attached a external speaker from Maplins which seems to improve the situation, but when its noisy its still a problem (open to any suggestions)."

You can get a small radio transmitter that plugs into your earphone socket. It then broadcasts the sound on a unused frequency. You then tune your car stereo to the frequency and the sound is played through your car speakers.

Regards,

Leon
SJTaylor
Occasional Visitor

Switching to Strict computation will increase the number of permutations the software considers and you MAY get the same route there and back.

Consider it the same as a chess computer. It can only look so far ahead on an ever branching decision tree in the time given to it. When you start at opposite ends the decisions might be different.
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Another thing I've noticed with TomTom is that if I travel to my destination it will guide me along a certain route, but then on the return journey it usually send me a different way and no preferences have been changed. WEIRD!

Anyone know why it might do this ?
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Already Tried it & it didn't make any difference.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

Regarding the volume levels, I note that if you go to the change voice prompts option when running setup, there is a is a "loud" voice prompt option. I haven't tried it (Nav2 doesn't work on my 3870, haven't yet tried 2.01), maybe you could test it and advice on the outcome?
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Got the bits and have been using them for the past few days. Here are my £0.01 worth :

Setup Was really easy and straight forward. No installation problems with TomTom and Ipaq 5450 found the Socket Bluetooth GPS without any problems. One problem I did find was that originally I installed the maps on a 1GB Microdirve. When searching for addresses it seemed to take forever, I then swapped the maps over to a 128Mb MMC and now it works a hell of alot faster !!

A problem that alot of users highlighted was a problem with not being able to use faviourites. After installing the TomTom v2.01 update, this has been resolved.

Another problem that I have is that the guidance / voice prompts do not know how to count roundabout exits. It may say take the 5th exit off the roundabout, when its really the 3rd, but it is also counting the number of roads coming onto the roundabout.

Being new to GPS I found the Socket GPS to be very good. It didn't loose its location and It even reported a 11 satellite lock on one occasion. Most of the time it has between 5-9 satellites, which seems fine for me.

The Ipaq seemed to stay very stable also, without the need to do a softreset (other applications are a different story).

TomToms routing seems a bit strange. I'm used to using autoroute and some of the routes TomTom initially suggested were pathetic, but then after tweaking the speed limits for roads it seems to work alot better.

After the tweaking there was one occasion it took me off a roundabout down a dual carriageway for 1.5m ,then it told me to do a U Turn, come back to the same roundabout and take a different exit (????????). Best to have a quick look at Autoroute for the major roads befor you travel.

A couple of Major problems with TomTom is the post code and Street search. Post code : IT DOES NOT EXIST. Initially a thought it would be like Autoroute, where you could pretty much find the place you want by the postcode. OH NO. You don't get that. Its best to think that the post code search does not exist and TomTom have lied to us - (Just deal with it). Street search, Many streets are not listed under the main city / town, but instead under the area name, so you have to have the area name to find the place. DUMB!

Speaker level on the 5450 is very low. I've attached a external speaker from Maplins which seems to improve the situation, but when its noisy its still a problem (open to any suggestions).

Once you have the GPS paired with your Ipaq, switching the unit off and then resuming your journey or starting a new one is straight forward. It asks for a bluetooth device, select the relevant GPS from Bluetooth manager and your off. You may need to go into TomTom and reselect your GPS device, but this has only happened on a couple of occasions, but its easy to do.

Overall combination of GPS IPAQ & TOMTOM, execellent GPS, routing a bit strange, postcode and streets does not exit but it'll get you to were you want to go (eventually with alot of common sense), speaker volume a bit low, but TomTom does run quite stabley on the 5450

Have Fun!

Ash.

ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Got the Toys and I'm now in the process of testing and getting myself familiar with all the bits. Will let you know how I get on.

Ash.
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Still waiting for the toys to turn up, hopefully tomorrow !

Ash.
ash_99
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting a GPS setup for my ipaq 5450. I've checked the software and feel comfortable with the TT Navigator 2, but I just don't know which receiver to get ??????????

I like the specs of both the TomTom GPS and Socket Bluetooth receiver, but which one performs best ?

If anyone can help, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: