Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the 510 better than the Tom Tom Go?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the 510 better than the Tom Tom Go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anastiebyte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Is the 510 better than the Tom Tom Go? Reply with quote

Searched the forums but I have to make my mind up Is it better than the TTG? Also any comments on the Quest thats even cheaper? Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 510 has (IMHO) a nicer case, smaller and more easily pocketed. However Navman's SmartST Software is still not as user friendly as TomTom's and the UI is less intuitive.

My ideal would be a Mitac Mio 138 (the hardware upon which the iCN510 is based) Unit with TomTom Software.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware has been given the seal of approval but unfortunately you are stuck with whatever the Mio 138 is installed with and it comes in several flavours.

Ask a hardened TomTom user and they will most likely say the GO is better.
Ask a hardened Navman user and they will most likely say the 510 is better.

Dismissing the user interface (whichever you decide on you will get used to it) my advice would be to decide what you want from the device and it's software in terms of features such as multiple destination planning or adjustable route settings then see which best meets your requirements.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
anastiebyte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for thr replys. Its now down to cost. I do not need a pda but the cost of the moi is a lot less than a ttg. If they both function as well as each other then the mio with tt software may be the way to go?? I dont need multiple destinations etc?
Agree??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a Mio138 with tomTom software! The nearest you'll get is a Mitac Mio 168 which is a portrait format PocketPC with built-in GPS.

If you're after a dedicated PND such as the Navman iCN510 / TomTom Go etc then also look at Navigon's BlueMedia (see the Evesham Ad in the panel to the right) and Medion's MDPNA150 available from EasyDevices both of which use the Mitac Mio 138 platform. I'm reviewing both at present.
chimera
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the iCN510 based on costs/value as I, too, was pondering over which one to buy. TomTom Go has nice and easy to use features, but it costs 2.5 times as much. iCN510's user interface isn't that bad compared to Go.

Plus, I don't use the GPS on a daily basis so why pay that much for the TomTom. I use it mostly on weekends. If money is no object, sure I'd love to buy a TomTom Go unit. Smile
c_hack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Why I chose the icn510 Reply with quote

I'll admit that the primary reason for choosing the icn510 was price - Outpost.com had it on sale for $330 US. I did not expect to use it routinely since I have a very repetitive daily commute, so I did not want to dish out a lot of money.

I quickly realized how important it was for it to be portable:
    I did not want to leave it in my cold car at night, nor in the parking lot - and it easily fits into my jacket pocket.
    I like to plan my routes at home or at the office with the unit in-hand.
    It makes a great pocket atlas when I just want to reference a map.

In retrospect, don't think the TomTomGo would have been as handy. I'm very happy with my icn510.
icfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The 510 has (IMHO) a nicer case, smaller and more easily pocketed. However Navman's SmartST Software is still not as user friendly as TomTom's and the UI is less intuitive.

My ideal would be a Mitac Mio 138 (the hardware upon which the iCN510 is based) Unit with TomTom Software.

or the hardware upon which the iCN510 is based and the Knowhow of Garmin!

Icfan
harkers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the other posts. Being able to pop the ICN into my jacket pocket when I leave the car is great. The tomtom go is just too fat to do that easily.

Being able to have multi destination trips is a real bonus (if only to force the weird routing to take you down a road you want!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: