Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Activation Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Activation Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sydoveton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Activation Question Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had my copy of TomTom now for over 6 months now and have only ever activated it once. I have recently started a new job and they have supplied me with a PPC for my job. This means i'm having to carry 2 PPC's wherever I go. I only use my PPC for the satnav, nothing else.

If I install Tom Tom on to my work PPC and activate it, will the I still be able to continue using tom tom on my personal PPC if I ever require (i.e. quit my job in the future?)

I think it's bad they have such harsh restrictions on activation. Are all other satnav applications so bad?

Regards

Sy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, TomTOm are the only ones with such a restrictive policy. Other vendors allow you a no-questions-asked transfer of the license from one Pocket PC to another.

Which answers your other question - one license of TomTom is only valid for one Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sydoveton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but would it physically work, how will my old pocket pc know that another pocket pc has been activated.

If so, what if I uninstalled tom tom on my ipaq. how much trouble would i have re-activating it?

I would only ever be using one PPC at anytime thats the thing.
steve111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that your work PPC will not accept the activication codes you used for your personal PPC

Each PPC has a unique 'device code' which has to correspond with the given code from TomTom,

Usually, the only time TomTom issue another activication code is if your original PPC has been lost or replaced and they would require proof , ie a copy of a bill of sale for the new/replacement PPC

TomTom will then send the new code/s within about a day or so

hope this is of help

steve
sydoveton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am aware of that. what i'm saying is if i go through the activation process on my work ppc, will tomtom on my personal ppc stop working?

If i did uninstall tom tom on my ppc would they not allow me to re-activate it in the future.

Also on looking on the inside of the tomtom cd sleeve I seem to have written down the activation code from when I initially activated tomtom. Say I uninstall tom tom on my PPC (for legal rasons) then activate tom tom on my work PPC, if I leave my job I can uninstall Tom Tom before giving back the PPC then re-install it on my personal PPC and activate it using the code I already have written down. It will be the same hardware after all. Would that work?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sydoveton wrote:
but would it physically work, how will my old pocket pc know that another pocket pc has been activated.

If so, what if I uninstalled tom tom on my ipaq. how much trouble would i have re-activating it?

I would only ever be using one PPC at anytime thats the thing.

In short, yes. You will be able to activae on a seconds device when 7 days has passed since first installed and a third device when 6 months has passed. Notwithstanding this, the licence allows a single installation only.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a valid product key, there's a program floating round the net that generates the activation codes for you. I'm not encouraging software piracy, and for this to work you do need a valid product code. This method just means that you do not have to wait, and TomTom are not involved in the activation process.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: