Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin MapSource issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin MapSource issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poulan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Garmin MapSource issues Reply with quote

Any ideas here? I am using POI convertor v3 to convert the new camera database into a WPT file which I then try to import into MapSource but am faced with an error: "A problem was found near line 10. A duplicate was found". I get it error even when trying to import only a few dozen waypoints and I can't find the duplicate which MapSource is alerting me to.

What advice can anyone give? MapSource is standard Garmin software so it is likely that others of you are encountering the same. Eventually these POI are headed for my Quest.

regards

Alan
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

Your problem will go if you download the latest version of POIConverter from my website http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com

The PCX5 format only supports waypoint IDs with 6 characters whilst the Garmin units like the eTrex series support 10. An early version of POIConverter just truncated the ID and did not check for duplicates. I corrected this in v3.06

The latest version of MapSource, I am using the 6.5 download, supports GPX files (via the File | Open menu item). You should use POIConverter to create a GPX file and use that to keep the original GATSO IDs.

I have just tried the GPX import into MapSource and it is very slow and some of the GATSO IDs have changed Embarassed I do not know if the problem is in my software or Garmin's. It could be due to the @ character that precedes the speed value.

If you use the PCX5 route the GATSO IDs will be made unique but will be different to those in the database which will make the reporting of errors difficult.

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

The GPX problem is in my court. All of the GATSO IDs should (and I believe that they are) unique. However, POIConverter will create a name from from GATSO:1234@30 ignoring the numbers and non-alphabetic characters. Hence all of the names are the same, ie GATSO, so it will then make them unique.

To overcome this I will have to modify POIConverter. In the meantime you can convert the OV2 files but the GATSO IDs will not be those used in the database.

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I have given the matter some thought and I have decided not to change POIConverter. If you use POIConverter v3.10 to open a TomTom OV2 file and save it as a Garmin PCX5 WPT file then v3.10 will create a set of new and unique names for the cameras. The resulting file will import into MapSource.

The mapping of the new name to the original database name will be shown in the Information/Comment of the Waypoint. So if you need to report errors then you can identify the camera.

I am suggesting that you continue to use the WPT file as the Garmin GPX import does not seem to function properly. The import of the pocketgps_uk_gatso data (3559 waypoints) just hangs when I try it.

Richard
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Happy New Year.
I have just dowloaded the POI v3.10 and the new Speed Camera Data base.

I have managed, after many 'postings' on this forum and many hours of 'fiddling', to install all the GATSO cameras into MapSource. [.wpt and .gpx]

As the GPX files is much bigger it did seem to 'hang' for 30 seconds then opeded in full.

Thank you for the improvements.

My next move is to transfer them to PalmDesktop and into the iQue.

Two points for your consideration:-
It would be nice to have them numbered 0001, 0011, 0111, 1111
It would be easier at the next update if there was a file of just 'new' cameras - to be added to existing waypoints in the iQue!
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble,

There is already a Garmin option in POIConverter to replace the waypoint ID that would be generated from the imported data. Click on the G button and tick the Replace existing waypoint name box. You may want to clear the Waypoint name prefix field. This will give you sequentially numbered waypoints.

Would you like the option to have leading zeros in the ID? So if the file contained 3559 waypoints first would be 0001. If the number in the file was 123 then the first would be 001. The resulting file would be no larger as spaces would be replaced by digits.

Richard
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is already a Garmin option in POIConverter to replace the waypoint ID that would be generated from the imported data. Click on the G button and tick the Replace existing waypoint name box. You may want to clear the Waypoint name prefix field. This will give you sequentially numbered waypoints."

Will look at this

Would you like the option to have leading zeros in the ID? So if the file contained 3559 waypoints first would be 0001. If the number in the file was 123 then the first would be 001. The resulting file would be no larger as spaces would be replaced by digits.

As I can sort numericaly and by location it would make it easier with the leading zeros.

Would you like a Mapsource file of the 5300 locations.[580kb]
Poulan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Mapsource pain Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, I followed your instructions and it worked as you said. Isn't Mapsource a pain...I uploaded about 300 gatso waypoints and it won't let you select multiple waypoints to categorise or assign an icon to in one hit. Instead you have to do it one by one by one 300 times!

regards

Alan
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapsource pain Reply with quote

Poulan wrote:
Thanks Richard, I followed your instructions and it worked as you said. Isn't Mapsource a pain...I uploaded about 300 gatso waypoints and it won't let you select multiple waypoints to categorise or assign an icon to in one hit. Instead you have to do it one by one by one 300 times!

regards

Alan

I don't agree!
I can select all 5000plus cameras and change icons and category.
The only problem I have is the poor selection of icons within the Garmin iQue.
Poulan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Sorted! Reply with quote

Ah....I have V6.3 and v6.5 adds the ability to alter the properties of multiple waypoints!

A problem shared is a problem halved...or in this case, solved!

Alan
Poulan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Final upload problem Reply with quote

Finally, when I send all of my waypoints using Mapsource and Ximage with new custom 'Gatso' icon that I designed, the waypoints lose their icon formatting and the icon appears just as the default unassigned small black square and not the Gatso one I created. I can still see that the icon has loaded onto the Quest successfully though as I can manually assign each Gatso waypoint to the icon although this would be misery to do because it would take days! Again, I am trying to so this with a Quest.

As so far you guys have been so good at solving my problems I thought that I would try my luck one more time...

regards

Alan
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mapsource pain Reply with quote

Poulan wrote:
Thanks Richard, I followed your instructions and it worked as you said. Isn't Mapsource a pain...I uploaded about 300 gatso waypoints and it won't let you select multiple waypoints to categorise or assign an icon to in one hit. Instead you have to do it one by one by one 300 times!Alan

As a matter of interest - how did you select 300 locations and what criteria did you use?
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
strumble,

There is already a Garmin option in POIConverter to replace the waypoint ID that would be generated from the imported data. Click on the G button and tick the Replace existing waypoint name box. You may want to clear the Waypoint name prefix field. This will give you sequentially numbered waypoints.

Richard

Thank you, I don't feel that I need change the Name of the Camera but it would be convenient to sort the comments [which does not change during the conversion] numerically. At the moment the list sorted numerically reads:- 1997, 20, 2023.

How can I send you Screenshots/screencapture?

Thank you for the great improvement to POI.
I have all 5200 locations in one .mps/.gpx file completed in less than 5 minutes, without the PC 'hanging'!!

Before importing the cameras into PalmDesktop and HotSyncing [??] I select and delete all cameras 10 miles above my usual driving 'corridor' [Pembrokeshire to London] leaving me with 2400 locations in the iQue.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another particular problem with the Garmin iQue is that it only shows the name of the camera [GATSO30] and an icon already within the iQue!

Can anyone suggest any way of seeing the 'comment' ie GATSO@60 on the iQue map? It is visible on Mapsource and within AddressBook[where waypoints are stored] but not on the map!!

Thank you,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: