Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK postcode finder for TomTom 2 and 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK postcode finder for TomTom 2 and 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: UK postcode finder for TomTom 2 and 3 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just finished my UKpostcode finder program. It should work with any Pocket PC and TTN 2 and 3. It has 1.678.621 postcodes, so in fact near every one is in there.

You can download a trial version from http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=16590

Any comment or sugestion are very wellcome.

Nomada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading now and will let you know how I get on. Beware though that the AFAIK the Royal Mail PostCode data is copyright and any commercial product using its data may attract unwanted interest from their solicitors unless you licence the data!
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Darren wrote:
I'm downloading now and will let you know how I get on. Beware though that the AFAIK the Royal Mail PostCode data is copyright and any commercial product using its data may attract unwanted interest from their solicitors unless you licence the data!

Thanks for your words.
My database was originated from George Spanellis files, so I think as far as they are in this web as public domain is nothing to do with Royal Mail. Otherwise let me know, please.

BTW, to program is one thing, to make a installation program one very different, so I tried to do my best but if you have any problem with it send me a message.

Nomada
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a word of warning, the fact that the data is already publically available does not make it copyright free. All the products that utilise this data are technically in breach of the Royal Mail's copyright.

There could be two reasons why Royal Mail have not taken action to date:

1. They aren't aware of it.
2. The data is being offered free of charge for a low volume non-commercial application so they don't see it as being worthy of legal action.

If they do subsequently become aware of these breaches of copyright or take issue with a commercial product that is illegally using their data then the authors may find themselves at the pointed end of a writ and a claim for damages and compensation for loss. I'm just pointing this out so you are forewarned!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm downloading now and will let you know how I get on.

Well did it work? and which of the files did you use?
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried installing to my 2210.

Copy .cab file to SD card, launch using File Manager.

'File Not Copied
The file "ukpc2ttn.nsb" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

followed by

'File Not Copied
The file "control.dat" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

'File Not Copied
The file "preconttrol.dat" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

'File Not Copied
The file "UKPC.DAT" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

And finally a message stating that the app was not installed successfully and to remove it.

I have re-downloaded the .cab and repeated in case it was a corrupt file but same errors.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Darren wrote:
Tried installing to my 2210.

Copy .cab file to SD card, launch using File Manager.

'File Not Copied
The file "ukpc2ttn.nsb" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

followed by

'File Not Copied
The file "control.dat" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

'File Not Copied
The file "preconttrol.dat" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

'File Not Copied
The file "UKPC.DAT" was not copied successfully. To re-install, you will need to get the source .cab file again. Continue with Setup?'

And finally a message stating that the app was not installed successfully and to remove it.

I have re-downloaded the .cab and repeated in case it was a corrupt file but same errors.

When you got that error means there is not enough Mb free on your memory card. As simple as that.

As I didn't not a proper installation program you need to copy the cab, 16 mb on the memory card, and it should have at least another 18 free to install the database.
After the installation the cab file is deleted.
I thought you knew this error!!!

J. Adell
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the .cab from my SD card which has 120MB free space.

On the 2210 itself there is 18Mb program memory and 14mb storage memory free?
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

????
Darren wrote:
I installed the .cab from my SD card which has 120MB free space.

On the 2210 itself there is 18Mb program memory and 14mb storage memory free?

So I downloaded my own file and installed without problems. Then I change my SD card with one just 30 mb free and then I got exactly the messages you got.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what else I can add, I formatted the card and tried again, same error.

I already have CheckPOInt and Niels UKPostCode installed (inc TTNControl.arm.cab) could these be causing an issue?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I don't know what else I can add, I formatted the card and tried again, same error.

I already have CheckPOInt and Niels UKPostCode installed (inc TTNControl.arm.cab) could these be causing an issue?

Tried to install but recieved the same errors as you. Also running CheckPOInt and Niels UKPostCode App.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (commerciall bought) postcode database has 2,178,429 entries in it with no duplicates - are you sure that 1.6 million is correct?? If so it's missing quite lot.

Anyway, downloading now so will play with it later.
tactile
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've figured out the install problem for you all (very kind of me!). I took the CAB file apart... the problem appears to be installing to the storage card (usually referenced by %StorageCard%). I changed it to a hard-coded \SD Card\ukpc2ttn and then it installed fine. I'm guessing the problem is because a lot of PDA's have more than one storage card and so it gets confused (although I stand to be corrected here).

However I get an error when I try and search for a postcode - an Invalid Pathname error. Full error is:

"Microsoft CE File Control 3.0 - line 32, char1
Invalid Pathname"

When this OK'd I get an "Internal application error"
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all

Sorry for delay answering your questions. I'll try to do my best.

Currently I have 3 XDA, and not problems at all with the installation more than mentioned in a former post.

I'm new programming for PDAs but every forum I read can see the real problem is with the installation program. So today saturday I will publish again the program but this time in portions.

I think everybody here has enough knowledge to copy a file straight on the memory card, so I will take out the database from the cabs. Then it will be one CAB for tomtom ocx control, that you don't need if you have already installed checkpoint, one more for the program itself and the last for the runtime that is needed and the register.

I will try to write too a simple instructions just for people that still getting problems want to have a try just copying the files.

Jose Adell

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: