Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 Wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 Wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenpreston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Wishlist Reply with quote

1. Route via multiple waypoints.

2. Remember detours from the calculated route and give user a chance to select these as default. Its annoying when you know a good rat-run, but the navigator constantly ignores it.

3. Allow user to edit calculated route.

4. Allow user to select weighting for different road types. Using TT2 in France this year, the calculated route was constantly trying to take me off main roads and send me down narrow (single lane) residential streets when I was driving into a town. Then I'd pop out at the end of the street onto the main road I'd just left.

5. Store calculated routes without having to recompute each time.

6. Full postcode entry.
Matey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Wishlist Reply with quote

One idea for TT might be to allow cross map planning at home on the PC (like AutoRoute) and then only load a custom map that covers the entire route (plus say 20 miles each side) across all borders.

Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Oldie - still no sign of any job offers from either of the two Toms...

The algorithm does seem to try and take you off a route through some little streets then back on it again just to potentially save you a couple of seconds (not taking into account tractors, traffic lights, single lane passes, etc.). I think it should either be possible to manually recalibrate the weighting of route planning, add a "most direct" calculation method, or (preferred) make the original algorithm a little bit more "real life" somehow (if you're going to be navigated onto a road that you've all ready been on, calculate the direct route. If the direct route is up to one minute slower than the higgledy-piggledy route, use it anyhow...?

Thinking about it, the last is more of a "direct route" option anyhow, and you still might want to reinstate the absolute quickest route...?

Who knows - if some of these other wishes get in, and it does take notice of traffic lights, thin roads, current traffic conjestion, etc... then maybe it'll stop taking you down these places anyhow, deciding that they're not, after all, quicker...
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

If (hopefully when) wireless networking does take off, a majority of the application (POIs?) are utilised on-line and live traffic conjestion systems/roadworks are incorporated into the application the following might be a handy option...

This is more of a global navigation system thing that all software houses would need to work with, but how about, on installation, you had the option to opt in to transmit your position, and (if available) your destination/planned route anonymously to a central system.

OK, it would need to be very secure for data protection and the like, but if enough people opted in, it would have a constant picture of where people are and where people are going and hence intelligently plan around potential conjestion areas.

Your Navigation system could warn you if you are potentially heading towards a conjestion area (based on more information now) and route you around. The central body could - I guess - have a heads up on where conjestion is likely to be happening and warn people beforehand (direct to your navigation software?).

If your car was lost or stolen, then if it was automatically beaming back your position this could be turned into a tracker mode.

Microsoft briefly touched on this with their dotNET Mobile solutions, tying your GPS data to your Messenger account, and thus allowing your authorised friends to locate you.

OK, this is a little bit ambitious for a TTN2 Wishlist forum. Too much coffee this morning!
henrybevan
Occasional Visitor

Apologies if these have been mentioned before:

1. Ability to play back recorded data if the gevice is not connected. IPAQ 3970 / TTN2 / Navman 3000 - if it isn't connected, I just get an error beep when I click on play. If I select one of the simulators, then it works fine, but it keeps trying to recalculate the route!

2. Ability to search for a town - at the moment, you get given a load of roads, some of which may be many miles away from the town. Sometimes I want to go to X, but I don't know exactly where.

3. Ability to set the speed of playback and route demonstration.

4. Being able to select favs / POIs more easily from the route planner. At the moment, you have to bring them up on the map, then hold down the pointer and select set as origin etc. (unless I'm wrong!)

5. Faster searching of POIs - I downloaded a set of POIs which were the postcodes of London. There are a few hundred, and it takes ages to enter which one you want, as TTN keeps reviewing the list or something after each character. I know I'm using it in an extreme sense, but a tidier algorithm would be nice.

6. The ability to drive round with navigator running - I find it sometimes gets a bit grumpy if you drive round with no route planned, in navigator view.

7. OS coordinates. If I broke down or something, the AA etc. would be much more likely to be able to 'decode' an OSGB coordinate (e.g. TM425527) than d/m/s.

8. Audible warning for congestion charge etc.

9. I'll tell you what WOULD be cool... what about dividing the map up in to big areas (town or city size) and looking at the average speeds you travel at on each road category when you're in them. For time planning, it would then know that any road in central london, etc. would be about 10mph max, while country lanes may be faster etc. TTN would constantly 'learn' these figures, and might even be able to use them more in the route planning algorithm.

10. Properties layout a bit better. I'd almost prefer to have more tabs, and less text... it's all a bit "intense"

Keep up the excellent work on excellent software.

Cheers

Henry
chrish01
Occasional Visitor

item 2: if you use the name of the town for the street field, as well as the town field, it goes to the centre of that town

Chris
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

A shorter version of the fix to item 2 is to erase the street field completely. Navigator then fills in the name of the town again, which has the effect Chris describes.

4. There's many easier ways. In the Navigator Screen, select Navigate To on the Navigator menu (tap the screen) and you have options to select Favourites and POIs there. There's similar options in the Map screen if you tap the Find icon (the left most icon at the bottom of the screen). If you select a POI via Find, tap on the POI, wait, and you'll get a menu from which you can select what you want to do with it.

6. "Turn Guidance Off" will sort this - you can find it on the Navigator menu. I find it so useful (not least for pulling into Motorway service areas) that I have it set on a hardware button. The hardware button will toggle guidance on and off.

David
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A setup wizard to walk you through some of the more useful/powerful features of personalising TTN2. Since there are so many options (too many for me) it would be nice to walk through the setup on installation (or re-trigger it on subsequent uses). I seem to remember when I first installed TTN1 I couldn't find anywhere what the safety speed actually meant (I guess it's obvious when you know, but it was a little confusing to me).

2. A way of navigating through Leicester Laughing Aside the many many traffic lights and last minute lane configurations I was forced to use the roadblock feature yesterday for the first time. Not knowing Leicester at all, and seeing as the diversion signs were so appalling I naturally got completely lost. TTN finally sorted me out, but flagging the roadblock in this instance wasn't easy. I didn't know how long the block was, I didn't know what the name of the road was, so it took a few attempts to get TTN to avoid it. GAH. Apologies if you live in Leicester...
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Multiple waypoint routing so I can visit 4-5 customers with only one route planned.

2. 'B road' or 'Scenic Route' option for all short journeys (under 70 miles perhaps).

3. Reverse last route. In other words, go back the way you came. TTN2 sometimes sends you back on a totally different route, which is annoying if you enjoyed the first ride!

4. Street names in Navigator mode.

5. 5-6 seperate actors voice files. You get bored with them!
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping data, while seemingly an improvement on TT1, still shows some glaring errors, with roads built obviously quite some time ago not included in TT2 database. The existence of roundabouts often seems to catch it unawares. As others have said, max speed on all roads in its database would mean better calculations of journey time / route decision.
neilsum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First really big one for me would be a PC based map editor/creator where you could draw a boundary around your route across europe say 50miles wide catching the cities you want to visit then create ONE seamless map based on this boundary for download to your PDA.

Next I would like the option to add in your own links that have recently been built i.e. in TT press start recording new highway link then drive the link. You could then upload that link to a web site where it would compile an updated map of all the FREE map upgrades provided by users. This could be controlled by not accepting a link untill say 3 different users have uploaded the same link. Or you could have an option in TT to use unconfirmed road links or not when planning a route.

Deletion of individual POIs should also be included in the editor since I've noticed a few POI's that do not actually exist!

If TT could activate and connect / disconnect and unactivate my BT GPS connection it would be nice as well. With the option of starting WITHOUT the GPS if you just want to brows and plan routes.

-Neil
murphwiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper 'Night Mode'

One which when selecting night colours, auto switches the back light off when not needed, and then brings it back within say 600yards of junction or turn etc..

Driving a saab with night panel spoils me... :D
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: ttn2 maps of western europe dvd Reply with quote

just received my ttn2 maps of western europe with 8 CDs. all of the maps put together will fit on a 1GB CF memory. i wish there is an additional DVD with all the maps put together.
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish for:

1 Demo version - this is expensive software, especially if you buy a few maps. The presentation is mostly excellent, but there's too many errors in the maps for a product of this price, and It's INEXCUSABLE not to support way points. The POSSIBILITY that this package didn't have them never even occurred to me - if I'd been able to try it out, I'd have stuck with the copy of Co-Pilot I already had.

2 WAY POINTS

3 control to repeat last spoken directions

4 smallest characters (ETA, miles to go etc.) 50% larger so you can see them when the road is bumpy, in poor light etc

5 handle favourites, set-up properly when switching maps (twice I've lost them all and had to re-enter the lot BRRR!)

6 support desk that answers the question actually asked rather than give a link to a web site page that prompted the question in the first place! BRRRRR!

PeteB
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3, you can repeat the voice instruction by tapping on the next turning indicator seen on the bottom left of the navigator screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: