Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fustrated with contacts/TTN2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fustrated with contacts/TTN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fustrated with contacts/TTN2 Reply with quote

Is anyone else having little joy with the contacts to nav 2 link?

4 addresses I've tried give me the wrong address, town, postcode etc.

Example in outlook contacts I have the following address

xxx Queens Close

Harston

Cambridge

CB2 XXX

When selecting navigate to it offers me:

Are you sure you want to navigate to Quainton Close CB5.................. TO WHICH THERE IS NO OPTION TO TYPE NO I F*%^ING WELL DO NOT.

Changing the entry in contacts to read City HARSTON and county Cambridgeshire (which is how you find it typing the location direct into TTN2) produces....

Are you sure you want to navigate to Collingwood Close LE13, Harston (Melton) ...........ARRRRHHHHHH!

The first address I tried worked perfectly the next 4 produce crap results like this. To get it to work

Note : this is with the address and postcode entered absolutley correctly in the contacts file.

Not at all sure about this update.
TheGoodMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fustrated with contacts/TTN2 Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry for the trouble you have been having. I have also tried TomTom 2 and it has got many errors.

If you would like to have a proper post code search try to upgrade to Copilot 3.5 (CoPilot 4 is going to be release soon). Unlike TomTom 2 which has crap search system – you can end up in the wrong area CoPilot will allow you to search the address by post code. You need to type in first 4 letter of the post code and the first line of the address including the house number and the CoPilot will work out the route for you. Compare to TomTom 2 maps are also up to date.

Another product worth considering is Destinator which is also significantly better than TomTom 2.

The Goodman

Darren
Frequent Visitor

Goodman's anti-TomTom stance is well known by the regulars, take his opinions with a pinch of salt. They're not based on real world experience as you will discover if you spend time with us. Neither of the alternatives he suggests are anywhere near as popular as TomTom Navigator with good reason. TTNav has it's fault s and you'll see us shouting about them as much as anyone else but it's the best of the bunch.
musicreative
Regular Visitor

OK, let's examine this postcode question... What is the postcode search on CoPilot giving you? It will pick up the city only - it doesn't give you the street, so it's not that useful IMHO. Sure, it saves a few characters typing.

TTN2 now knows the house numbers - that's the most important thing for me. I would tend to agree with Duncan about the routing strengths. No one package does it all (sadly), but at least being a PocketPC application we have the possibility of changing our GPS application quite easily.

Co-Pilot suffers a few technical problems - the speech cracking - problems with iPAQ 5450 - problems driving on the right(!) in Europe - being locked to Travroute hardware. In spite of these negatives, it's still a great product - as is TomTom.

As ever, you choose the product that suits your needs best. It's getting a little like the days of 'my Apple is better than your PC'! Laughing Out Loud

Tim
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Ian,

Despite what our friend TheGoodMan says, I have had trouble with the co-pilot address interface as well. Basically I found that it was able to locate half of my addresses that I tried. There are many reasons for this ranging from partial/bad addresses to incorrect data on the mapping data. I know of one road with only 20 houses but when you put in the postcode it reckons you want 50-50 my road.

Interestingly the best implementation of postcode/zip data that I know of is ironicaly PocketStreets, lacking in many other areas, but stron in this.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Mike

I realise that Thegoodman has his views and overall I'm pretty happy with tomtom (and won't be jumping product) - but I really think that this part of TTN2 is very weak. For day to day use I think TTN1 satisfied approx 80% of my requirments, that said, I think because of the limitations I've discovered so far I think TTN2 will also only satisfy 80% of my requirments. The address thing is compensated for by the on screen keyboard - so win some lose some I guess.

Also how likely is it that The goodman has used TTN2 as I guess I was one of the few lucky ones to receive it yesterday.

The clincher for TT over other solutions is its ability to run well on an ipaq 3850 with my much maligned pretec lp card!

Cheers

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: