Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 2 Maps still out of date!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 2 Maps still out of date!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 2 Maps still out of date!! Reply with quote

You read my mind Ian. I'll start the same threads that we had in the TTN1 forum. I'm also tmepted to split the Leadtek posts out into a separate forum to keep the forums very on-topic.
reaps2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 2 Maps still out of date!! Reply with quote

Hello all,

I received Tom Tom 2 yesterday and after having a quick look at the maps for my area (doncaster) the maps are still well out of date. The estate that I live on has been around for about 3 years and still only about 5% of it is shown on Tom Tom 2 (Navman shows all of the estate).

TT2 also doesn't know about quite a major link road from the motorway which has been there for about 6 years (again Navman knows about this).

If the maps are supposed to be from december 2002 how can so many things still be missing?

And don't get me started on te postcode Routing (although house numbers is a very welcome addition)

Reaps
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Reaps

having had the chance to use TTN2 last night and this morning I must say I'm a little disappointed. As I've posted all ready the maps around my part of Cambridgeshire are incomplete - although my estate is missing (3 - 5 years old) some roads in a neighbouring village which are less than an year old are included!

Overall although all the options are nice, I found when out this morning that

1: The 3d view doesn't matter as I look at the road and rely on the voice!

2: The post code feature is utter rubbish from a users perspective.

3: The link to contacts is excellent - single best improvement for me.

4: Maps very poor (still) (My road is also on the navman system).

5: POI in respect of car parks poor (in Cambridge).

I think most upgraders will look at this as a 1.5 upgrade rather a 2! Perhaps it was rushed out as the original product was less than a year old and even MS don't have half year product lives.

Perhaps we all built up our expectations to an unrealistic level.

It is worth the 25 quid upgade cost not sure if I'd pay full wack.

I will be buying the European maps cd's for my summer holiday - any EEC members out there who can comment on the accuracy or otherwise of these maps?

Ian

reaps2000
Occasional Visitor

Ian,

I agree with you comments completely. I see this as more of a service pack that a new version, the extra features are very welcome (I like being able to serach on a POI) but I do feel a bit let down with the maps and postcode routing (if they actually advertised TT2 as having postcode routing I think there might be a case for Trading standards).

But despite these minor niggles I still love Tom Tom and prefer it to Navman.

TT2 could have slaughtered the current competition but as it stands the title for best PDA Sat Nav system is still debatable.

Reaps
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

There are problems with the mapping data in central London as well (and the roads have been here for more than a hundred years!).

They've got the Earl's Court Square (SW5) one-way system all wrong. I happen to know this because I live there, but wondering what other mistakes like this there are. In a way this is worse than missing roads (which are obvious) - this could cause you to do something dangerous and illegal!

The other thing is that it is very SLOW when searching for towns or roads - seems to take an eternity after you've typed the first few characters of a town name for it to pop up.

Service is good though - ordered late on the 1st of April, confirmation of sending yesterday evening, arrived this morning!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by reaps2000 on 03 April 2003

If the maps are supposed to be from december 2002 how can so many things still be missing?

Have you reported these ? They won't be seen as problems unless they're reported. Make sure they're reported in our threads here on the site and direct to TomTom (I know it's a pain, but at least there's a two pronged approach!). Hopefully then these changes will be passed onto TeleAtlas to go out and take a look at that area again and update it like they have done in various other parts of the country we've complained about.
reaps2000
Occasional Visitor

Just another quick point I should have made earlier, TT2 is far slower than TT1.5 searching for addresses (worst searching on town, not so bad on streets). So you're not alone in noticing this NikosF
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Dave

could you start a new thread for map error's in TTN2!

cheers

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: