Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem Installing TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Installing TomTom Navigator 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liftnub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Problem Installing TomTom Navigator 3 Reply with quote

Hello,

Some kind person gave me TomTom Navigator 3 for Christmas to use on my iPaq 4150. I went to install it today, with my iPaq connected to the PC, and all that happens is I get a TomTom window with the heading "Setup", and the graphic of paper being transfered between two files. It has been like this for about 45 minutes. Is this normal or is something not right.

Many thanks for your help.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be more specific. Do you get this problem when you run the setup.exe off the CD?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Liftnub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the response.

Inanswer to your question, Yes.

I am trying to install this for the first time.

With the CD booted up I select English, I agree to the License, I select install TomTom Navigator, I get the message saying:

"The items below will now be installed to the pocket PC. After that you can choose a map for installation. Once the items below and the map are installed TomTom Navigator will be ready for use.

TomTom Navigator in English

English voice prompts

TomTom Wizard

TomTom GPS"

A small window then pops up saying "preparing setup"

Then the large TomTom window appears with the heading "Setup", and the graphic of paper being transfered between two files.

Then nothing else happens.

Any ideas? Thanks again
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ActiveSync installed on your PC? If so, which version?

If you are good with computers you can also install TomTom manually from the CAB files - either from the ones on the CD or from the TomTom web site. The only small issue will be the maps - those are easiest to install from the CD setup program.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Liftnub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ActiveSync 3.8 and it seems to be running fine (synchronising appointments and contacts)

The maps also seem ok; I managed to install them onto the PC in a separate folder, so I assume if I can get Navigator installed I can just move them across to the SD card.

I am ok with computers, (or to be more precise I can follow instructions) how would I go about installing from the CAB files?

Thanks for the help.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the TTN 3.07 update from the TomTom site, start the install, and at the first screen search your computer for CAB files that have been created "today" - this will then include the TTN CAB for ARM processor. Copy this CAB file to the Pocket PC (via ActiveSync) and then execute it by tapping on it in the Pocket PC file explorer.

You can then do the same with the GPS driver and with the voice files (the CAB for those is on the CD)

If you have the maps on the PC already then indeed all you need to do is copy them over to the storage card (hopefully via a card reader)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Liftnub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all your help Ibendlin, but, I reinstalled active sync and did a hard reset on the iPaq (although I had tried this already) and tried again one last time, and it seems to have worked Embarassed

Sorry for the inconvenience, I did not consciously do anything different, although something must have changed for it to work. Anyway all is well now.

Thanks again for the help.
kestrel320
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Same problems!!! Reply with quote

I'm trying to install my newly-purchased TTN 3 onto my iPAQ 4150. Having exactly the problems described above. I think I've narrowed it down to ActiveSync being the problem, not TTN. I installed the latest version of ActiveSync (3.8) and it appeared to cure it. But infact it didn't and when I tried to access TTN on my iPAQ, it would lead me through the start up wizard until I had to create my "Bluetooth Bond" and then just exited. From then I was unable to get into TTN at all. So, I've done a hard reset and uninstalled it, so back to square one with all of the original probs.
If anyone's still reading (!), I'm not a whizz on computers, so is there an easy way round this? If not, can some kind soul lead me by the hand through the file copying way previously described?

Thanks very much indeed!!
kestrel320
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, when the installation's locked up (on the setup screen) you have to exit it via the task manager as the "X" doesn't work. If I then try to re-install, it says "Unknown Device Architecture" and "Unable to connect to your device".

By the way - if I try to install the 3.07 update, it just does the same thing!
jhansman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem installing when my PDA was using a BT connection with ActiveSync. The install routine would simply stall at the screen with the animated files going from folder to folder. No error message or lockup per se, just nothing after that screen. I suspected this was an inability of the setup routine to see my PDA via the BT sync, and confirmed it when I used a USB sync instead. Then, the software installed perfectly. I've emailed TT tech support about this, but as yet have received no response.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have now made the CAB files available for download, so you can install directly on the Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active sync via BT is not recommended for TomTom's setup.
All described issues can be 2 things (I think):

1. the connection of the ipaq is not correct. Although the Activesync icon is green, there is no correct connection. You will then get the messages "Unknown Device Architecture" and "Unable to connect to your device".
Just disconnect your ipaq and reconnect again (no need to close and restart TomTom setup unless it really crashed), and try to install to pocketpc again.

2. Normally you would get a popup from activesync asking you to install the application to the default folder. While this popup is open, TomTom setup is waiting, resulting in the graphic of paper being transfered between two files. Maybe this popup window is minimized? Make sure you maximize this ActiveSync window and just press OK in the popup window (or no and choose the deired location).
Setup will now continue.

I'm stil using Activesync 3.7.x, so it could also be caused by v3.8?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: