Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory-Map placed 1st in Trail test
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory-Map placed 1st in Trail test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these would you rate as the best?
Memory-Map
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Anquet
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Magellan Mapsend Topo
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Tracklogs
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Fugawi
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
ISYS Mapwise
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Memory-Map placed 1st in Trail test Reply with quote

Trail votes Memory-Map software number 1 GPS applicationThe February 2005 issue of Trail Magazine votes Memory-Map software as the number one GPS application, closely followed by Anquet with Magellan Mapsend Topo in third place.

Unfortunately for those of us with PDAs the test criteria were somewhat flawed as they did not take into consideration anything to do with PDA capabilities. Indeed one of the critisisms of both Memory-Map and Anquet is that you cannot send the maps to the GPS device.

The full result of the tests were:
1 - Memory-Map
2 - Anquet
3 - Magellan Mapsend Topo
4 - Tracklogs 1:50k
5 - Fugawi UK Digital Maps
6 - ISYS Outdoors Mapwise

Although the tests claimed to review 16 software packages it really was varieties of the 6 systems mentioned above. I am not too sure why Fugawi was marked down so much as it's capabilities are much on par with Memory-Map and Anquet.

Do you agree with the findings? Cast your vote in our Topo Mapping poll.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anquet and Trail Magazine work in association to supply Trail routes so I am surprised that they suggest that Anquet cannot download routes to a GPS.

I don't suppose there is an online version of this mag to read the results?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not routes they say cannot be exported, but maps.

This is not a big suprise as all the PC/PDA based products in the UK are based on Raster image mapping (ie pictures). Those GPS handhelds that do support map downloads are vector based and only support their own propriatry formats.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! I think I'm with you now.
They are criticising them based on the limitations and differences between PDA's and GPS devices which is a little unfair.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Memory-Map placed 1st in Trail test Reply with quote

Quote:
Indeed one of the critisisms of both Memory-Map and Anquet is that you cannot send the maps to the GPS device.

Am I missing something here? My Memory Map 2004 can indeed export maps to PDAs with no problem.

Also, I think the poll here will not be worth much as most people will vote for what they know. For example whilst I researched fairly thoroughly before buying MM I have no 'real world' experience with any other package. (FWIW I'm very happy with MM, except for the support which is crap).

Cheers

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry just realised the review is referring toGPS rather than PDA devices (otoh whywould you want to d/l to a GPS - they have their own built-in maps for better or worse no?)

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Not that I have used them but some of the top of the range GPS receivers from Garmin and Magellan support the download of mapping data. In particular Magellan are the first to offer OS map data which is supposed to be quite reasonable.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I wonder if I could add my 2c?

It may have been grand if the poll allowed for best and worse with reasons for the choices.

I elected Anquet after trialing various option and purchasing one (since returned with great response from the retailer).

The return was based on faulty data and dodgy install (it referred to links on the compilation machine at the point of compilation).

I went with Anquet not just because of cutting edge but because it goes out of its way to support those gold nuggets called "customers".

I suppose at 20% rating retaining customers is important - they have my vote and will continue to do so.

Why? Do I hear you ask? (you should...)

The software is less than a year old and gps (like all IT) moves on at a really fast rate. You can guess how disappointed I was after plugging in my new GPSMAP60CS, firing up Anquet software only to realise the USB port was not supported - wan't even recognised.

A quick trip to Anquet's website and another down memory lane (username & password) and now after a free download or 2 yup! Anquet software talks to my gps 60CS

That was the reason I went for Anquet and that will probably be the reason why I stick with 'em

Mutuality of respect is important IMHO - they respect my custom & I respect their service

I guess providers 1t over 40% relying on turnover don't need to depend upon customer retention?

BBB
yearnslow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not brilliant, I'm not suprised that the mapsend topo-uk came third, as the software in conjunction with a sportrak colour or meridian colour, is the only package available in the uk that offers walkers an alternative to a PDA/MM etc set up. It's also a more robust system and battery life is longer. The only problem with the mapsend stuff is the price, and the level of detail, but, it's the only one, so they can charge pretty much what they like for it, until someone comes up with an alternative.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: