Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING: HP2210 and TTN3 Restore Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: HP2210 and TTN3 Restore Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianwells
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: WARNING: HP2210 and TTN3 Restore Issue Reply with quote

I was recently in a position where I had to hard-reset my 2210. No problem, I thought, as I religiously back up my system to both SD card and via the Activesync backup tool onto the desktop.

However, after restoring via either method, upon soft-reset the 2210 would hang. After doing some research and coming up with a blank I thought the only option was a complete rebuild from scratch.

However, I finally came across the following thread (msg#13):
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=592c9d12a40c8e9cb18d5fece47dc884&t=1614&page=2&pp=10

This describes the symtpoms I was experiencing, and the solution (interestingly another issue apparently caused by TomToms ttbtdev.dll replacing the default BtCeIf.dll).

If only I had known this before I did my last backup!

All was not lost however, as it IS possible to use the information in this thread to recover a system where the ttbtdev.dll is active.

Here is how I did it:
- after the hard-reset, I restored from the most recent backup - but did not soft-reset
- I renamed \Windows\ttdtdev.dll to \Windows\ttbtdev.dll.old
- I copied \Windows\BtCeIf.dll to \Windows\ttbtdev.dll
- A subsequent soft-reset did not hang the 2210

I used the free PHM Registry Editor to reset the appropriate registry key and performed another soft-reset. Then deleted ttbtdev.dll and renamed ttbtdev.dll.old back to ttbtdev.dll.

Last thing, I took another full backup!
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed many many times on this forum before - I'm suprised you didn't find anything here.

I might even be as bold as to say that I was one of the first to discover the fix to this problem Wink

Alternative, possibly easier, way of doing it is when you do the restore, simple untick ttbtdev.dll from the list of files being restored. Works fine then.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much easier solution is to use Sprite back-up, which only costs 10 dollars for the upgrade after the free 30 day trial - the latest version is 3.1.4. This overcomes the problem which has had many threads on this and the Sprite forum.

Steve.
ianwells
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej - apologies for the repeated post Embarassed . I am not a regular on this forum (can you tell?) and not finding anything here (I did look - honest) wanted to pass on my findings in case they were helpful to someone else.
I'll look harder in future before posting.

SteveW - I prefer the 'cheap' solution to the 'easy' one Wink
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Alternative, possibly easier, way of doing it is when you do the restore, simple untick ttbtdev.dll from the list of files being restored. Works fine then.

That potentially leaves you with the (missing) ttbtdev.dll linked into your Bluetooth stack. If you're happy to change the appropriate registry key back to BtCeIf.dll with a registry editor, that's one way - but I wouldn't suggest this as a generic fix.

IMHO, the right answer is to use TomTom GPS 3.07 and Sprite Backup 3.1.4

David
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
nej wrote:

That potentially leaves you with the (missing) ttbtdev.dll linked into your Bluetooth stack. If you're happy to change the appropriate registry key back to BtCeIf.dll with a registry editor, that's one way - but I wouldn't suggest this as a generic fix.

IMHO, the right answer is to use TomTom GPS 3.07 and Sprite Backup 3.1.4

David

Definately - I'd agree with that. It's only a few dollars as well. Better safe than sorry.
Cixi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: WARNING: HP2210 and TTN3 Restore Issue Reply with quote

ianwells wrote:

Here is how I did it:
- after the hard-reset, I restored from the most recent backup - but did not soft-reset
- I renamed \Windows\ttdtdev.dll to \Windows\ttbtdev.dll.old
- I copied \Windows\BtCeIf.dll to \Windows\ttbtdev.dll
- A subsequent soft-reset did not hang the 2210

I used the free PHM Registry Editor to reset the appropriate registry key and performed another soft-reset. Then deleted ttbtdev.dll and renamed ttbtdev.dll.old back to ttbtdev.dll.

Last thing, I took another full backup!

Hello.
This is my first post here.
Please... I need your help!
I solved the first part! until the first reset.
Then I need to solve the second one that is not much clear to me!
Where do I have to work on to let tomtom be back to normality?

I installed PHM but which "appropriate" key I have to set and how?
Thank You.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the easiest way to restore if a full restore hangs the machine is to turn off Bluetooth, restore everything except \Windows\ttbtdev.dll, soft reset, install a registry editor, find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SerialN key (where N is the COM port number of your outgoing Bluetooth serial port) and change the DLL value in that key from ttbtdev.dll to BtCeIf.dll

If you're not sure you've found the right SerialN key go through them all and change any DLL values that are ttbtdev.dll to BtCeIf.dll - there should only be one.

That leaves you with a machine where the TomTom Bluetooth driver is not hooked into the Bluetooth stack. If you don't like this behaviour, turn off Bluetooth, soft reset, go to Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom ~ GPS and tap remove, then download and install TomTom GPS 3.07.

TomTom GPS 3.07 is half the fix to this issue - the other half is to buy the upgrade to Sprite Backup 3, and install the latest version of Sprite Backup (3.1.4 at this time).

David
Cixi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I believe the easiest way to restore if a full restore hangs the machine is to turn off Bluetooth, restore everything except \Windows\ttbtdev.dll, soft reset, install a registry editor, find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SerialN key (where N is the COM port number of your outgoing Bluetooth serial port) and change the DLL value in that key from ttbtdev.dll to BtCeIf.dll

If you're not sure you've found the right SerialN key go through them all and change any DLL values that are ttbtdev.dll to BtCeIf.dll - there should only be one.

David

There is any way to avoid the backup to installing the BT drivers from tomtom?

I installed my restore file using Active sync 3.7.1
then?
Sorry I'm new to this things!
I hope you can help me step to step..
An soon an I can ge trough i buy the other backup utility!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those instructions were for hangs when restoring using iPAQ Backup or older versions of Sprite Backup.

For ActiveSync restores, see here. I think, unfortunately, that if you're seeing the problem in that thread, your backup file is useless, and the only option is to set things up again from scratch.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: