Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tungsten T3, TomTom 2 and no European Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tungsten T3, TomTom 2 and no European Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Tungsten T3, TomTom 2 and no European Maps Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just broken one of my golden rules by buying something on recommendation alone, without properly researching it.

I have a Tungsten T3 and I've bought TomTom Navigator 2 Bluetooth for it primarily to help me out on my driving holiday in Europe this year. Having just looked on the TomTom site I've found out that there are no detailed European maps available for the T3 because they don't support OS 5. Not only this but apparently they have no plans to support OS 5 either.

I know that I should of looked into this more. I did check that there were European maps available for the Palm OS I just didn't expect that they wouldn't support my version of the OS, particularly as they produce a version of the product specially for the T3.

Could anyone recommend the cheapest way I could get some detailed European mapping software that would work with my T3 and TomTom GPS receiver? I'm really naffed off with the whole thing now any way, maybe I'll go back to using an atlas!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to look at another product like MapSonic or Kirrio.
Draven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Do you think that there is any chance TomTom will release the European maps for Palm OS 5 before July this year???!!! Mr. Green
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any reason why there would be a limitation, so I would suspect they will release them, it's just a question of time.
Draven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was just thinking, it is possible to buy a version of TomTom for the T3 for any of the countries in Western Europe which obviously come complete with detailed maps of said country. This means that the maps are readily available so why dont they just bung them on a CD?

I really wish I had bought MapSonic now having spent the last 20 minutes on their website. If I can get the demo working with my TomTom GPS receiver then I might consider it.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tungsten T3, TomTom 2 and no European Maps Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
Hi,
I have a Tungsten T3 and I've bought TomTom Navigator 2 Bluetooth for it primarily to help me out on my driving holiday in Europe this year. Having just looked on the TomTom site I've found out that there are no detailed European maps available for the T3 because they don't support OS 5. Not only this but apparently they have no plans to support OS 5 either.

I know that I should of looked into this more. I did check that there were European maps available for the Palm OS I just didn't expect that they wouldn't support my version of the OS, particularly as they produce a version of the product specially for the T3.

Have I missed something here?

The T3 is OS 5, or at least mine is. It reports OS 5.2.1. TomTom definately works on this. I have used UK and German maps with no problems at all. I havent tried it yet but the software is supposed to have maps of "Major roads or Europe"
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
Actually, I was just thinking, it is possible to buy a version of TomTom for the T3 for any of the countries in Western Europe which obviously come complete with detailed maps of said country. This means that the maps are readily available so why dont they just bung them on a CD?

The reason they dont put them on a CD is that they release the maps for the Palm and the new Go in SD format. There is no activation of the TT software any more as the maps are tied into the serial number of the SD card.
Draven wrote:

I really wish I had bought MapSonic now having spent the last 20 minutes on their website. If I can get the demo working with my TomTom GPS receiver then I might consider it.

Mapsonic will certainly work with the TT GPS. You may find that there are some issues with a Fatal Error. If you get this then you need to delete the Bluetooth Cache and start again. Make sure you install the Mapsonic app to main memory and not the store card. It wont work otherwise.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tungsten T3, TomTom 2 and no European Maps Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Have I missed something here?

Yes I did miss something and that is that TomTom dont sell software only version. Wish I realised that before I saw them at CeBIT.
Draven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I wish you'd realised that before seeing them at CeBit as well!!!

I think you get why I am so frustrated. I have tried the demo version of the Mapsonic software with my TomTom receiver and it works a treat so if I want the kind of detailed maps of Europe I am looking for I am now faced with spending another £150 on a completly different software solution.

I have asked TomTom if there is any chance of buying the maps only from them and they have said that the maps will eventually be available seperately but they can't tell me when.

The thing that frustrates me most is that on the main product listing page on the TomTom site it intimates that the European City Maps and the European Route Planner are compatible with Palm devices. I know I should of looked in to this more but if the Palm box is ticked then............

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: