Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Taking GPS equipment abroad
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking GPS equipment abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Taking GPS equipment abroad Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody out there has experience of taking their GPS equipment abroad. I'm taking mine from UK to Florida in a few months to help with navigation.

I have a treo 600 with serial mouse unit, which has a few cables, and was wondering if I could get it through airport sequrity in hand luggage. I've also got a battery supply and cable that enables me to use the GPS unit off the car. Just worried about all the cables.

Also can you/has anybody used their GPS in the air on a flight.

Thanks
pyjohnson
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with security. Be prepared to answer some curious questions - that's all.

In the plane you will have to ask the stewardess for permission. It's tough to maintain a fix because the windows are heavily tinted.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking GPS equipment abroad Reply with quote

pyjohnson wrote:
I have a treo 600 with serial mouse unit, which has a few cables, and was wondering if I could get it through airport sequrity in hand luggage.

Yes, I fly with a lot of gadgets, GPS, iPod, Radar detector, digital camera etc in my hand luggage and have never had a problem.

Most airlines allow you to use your GPS in flight, but they ask you to switch it (and any other electronic devices) off during takeoff, approach and landing.

I tend to be discrete with the GPS and I never ask permission before using it. Cabin crew may tell you to switch it off if they see it, even though the airline officially allows GPS to be used on their flights. Once the Qantas cabin crew asked me to switch my GPS off, but I haven't had any problems in dozens of other flights.

It is very difficult to get GPS reception on the plane, the windows are tiny and you have to hold the receiver right up against the window. It helps if you get a good fix on all visible satelites less than an hour before you board the plane. Stand outside the airport and walk around until you have all the sats locked on. That way the GPS can easily reaquire the sats in the difficult reception conditions in the plane.

Enjoy!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 2210,navman bt 4100gps, rechargabe bats and charger to Tunisia with no probs .After were were safely in the air from Bristol I switched an launched TTN3 .It was interesting to follow the flight path on the road map and at on time reached 602mph The gps was picking up between 3 and 6 sats most of the time.Its a pity I didn't have any maps of the Tunisia though .
Dave
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Taking GPS equipment abroad Reply with quote

pyjohnson wrote:
I was wondering if anybody out there has experience of taking their GPS equipment abroad. I'm taking mine from UK to Florida in a few months to help with navigation.

I have a treo 600 with serial mouse unit, which has a few cables, and was wondering if I could get it through airport sequrity in hand luggage. I've also got a battery supply and cable that enables me to use the GPS unit off the car. Just worried about all the cables.

Thanks
pyjohnson

When I went to Fl. in August I took all the GPS equipment listed in my sig. I had cables galore in my Laptop bag, for syncing, charging, etc., and had no problems. I used the Garmin on the flight in both directions, flying with Virgin, and a couple of the cabin staff came to have a look and were impressed at how good it was.

On departure from Orlando International I was pulled to one side and had to turn everything on, including the BT unit, to prove that they actually worked.

So, nothing to worry about unless you shy away from curious people.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: