Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - redlight cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

redlight cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: redlight cameras Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this (<1week 8O ) but would like to submit some upto date info for my area. I notice alot of the redlight cameras are only shown once when infact most of them in my area are on both sides of the road. Should I submit the redlight camera locations on the other side of the road in my update or is it prefered just to have one redlight camera location covering all the roads at one set of traffic lights?

When adding a camera as a new POI in the pocketgps uk gatso category (for example), the POI is usually automatically given the name of the road it is located on. I notice the cameras already in the data base all have numbers. How should I name the new camera locations in the data base?

Thanks for all the hard work Wink
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rentech,

Thanks for volunteering to add details of cameras to the PocketGPSWorld camera databases, we appreciate it.

Firstly, would you mind updating your profile so we know what area you’re from (i.e. county). Thumbs Up

Our Camera Database Administrator is Richard (Oldie on the forum) and you can send all updates to him at the following email address:

Cameras [at] PocketGPSWorld [dot] com

If you have two cameras (traffic light, Gatso, etc) that are exactly the opposite each other then one location will do. However if they are slightly apart then please let Richard know as he manually verifies each new submission to ensure the accuracy of the database and that old cameras aren’t re-added 50 metres away from their original location

Don’t worry about the name of the camera, Richard’s software will allocate one automatically for new cameras.

How are you going to capture the location of the cameras?
Will you be using CheckPOInt 2.02 or GPSAssist?

I use GPSAssist and save the new camera to a test/temporary POI (.OV2 file). When I get back home I use Richard’s great POIConverter and turn the .OV2 file into an .ASC file which I can browse using MS Notepad. As I made a note on a paper pad where the camera is and when I captured it I can determine which camera is which and thus send the information to Richard.

Here’s the format that Richard prefers to recive the information:

Please remember to include the type of camera and the speed limit of the road when sending in an update. Text entries in the following format will help me.

Longitude,Latitude,Name:m@nn,"Information #AA" where

Longitude and Latitude in decimal degrees if possible (but any format will be accepted)
Name is your surname
m is a unique id (1,2,3,...) or existing camera ID,
nn is the speed zone (30,40,...)
Information is explanatory text
#AA denotes camera type (#G Gatso, #GT Truvelo, #R Red light, #M Mobile, #S S.P.E.C.S, #T Temporary/Roadworks)

For example
-0.12345,51.23456,Davies:1@40,"A325 Farnborough Road. Northbound #G"
GATSO:1234,"Does not exist"
GATSO:3456,"Redlight camera. On A325 #R"

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to confirm, it's best to send the data for the individual additions/changes as opposed to the whole modified .OV2 file?

I have checkPOInt 3.2.0.0 installed at the moment. Haven't added any POI whilst on the move yet. Just been adding speed information to the local cameras that I know about.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rentech,

I don’t think that CheckPOInt 3.2.0.0 is the best, CheckPOInt 2.0.2 is considered better for our camera database. You’ll need to check that you can use a hardware button to save the poison of a POI to a user defined .OV2 file. If you can do that then you’re in luck.

Once you have saved the POI(s), it is probably best to extract the longitude and latitude and send an email to Richard in the format that he prefers, e.g.:

-0.12345,51.23456,Davies:1@40,"A325 Farnborough Road. Northbound #G"

If you have made several modifications then it is hard to know which is which, if you send the whole file. Especially if you need to add the speed limits.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, was about to give up, but then managed top get a hardware button working.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rentech,

Well done! Thumbs Up

Have you been able to capture new locations and save them to an .OV2 of your choice?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not. My method is a bit long winded at the moment Confused I add the location then later on find them in the map view of TomTom and edit the POI info. I then load the whole .OV2 file into POIedit and search out my edits to get the longditude/latitude. I'm sure I'll get their in the end :D
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmM, on further investigation it seems I can't add new POIs. Well I can but the just appear in the checkPOInt .OV2 file as just the long/lat figures.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rentech,

You may be better off with CheckPOInt 2.0.2 (see our download section). CheckPOInt 2.0.2 will allow you to save a new position to an .OV2 file of your choice.

Alternatively have a look at GPSAssist. It costs €27.00 EUR but you can trial the full version before you buy. You can start the trial version 40 times before it expires.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: