Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there was a Bar-B-Q somewhere in Spring, Texas......how was the brisket?
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexandreUVa wrote:
Everyone, we really should create a community website where we can easily submit and update the different database.
I can find a host but I would need some help to maintain the website and create a nice and easy interface to submit and collect POI.
I'm waiting your comments...

I think it's a great idea. How about one of the established ones, like POIhandler.com? They have a small USA section already.
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Some great news.... Reply with quote

AlexandreUVa wrote:

In the trial version, I can only open one state, I selelected Virginia.

I couldn't find the trial version, just the purchase ones. Do have a link to the trial version?

What do you think of the program? Worth $60?
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the review it sound like I could use the Maps from TomTom Nav 2004 USA and Canda with the TomTom Nav 3 is this correct?

would you please advice David... Idea
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to legally own both products to be able to do that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You have to legally own both products to be able to do that.

I do own both editions

but JUST having both does not work.
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Updated 2004 USA & Canada Map for Tomtom Navigator 3 (3. Reply with quote

:D well I have both TomTom Navigator 3 (which I updated to 3.07) and Tomtom 2004 USA and Canada after working alot with both of these I found a twik in it that could make the maps of tomtom 2004 readable to Tomtom 3 it is a file that I made and the way of installation.

Im happy with tomtom now. b/c The TT3 didnt have the USA Maps but it has a lot of functions and Tomtom 2004 that had the Maps was lacking a lot of functions. so now all is cool and I will wait till they give out their new update.. lets hope they will improve..
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an easier way to accomplish that. Simply buy the USA map pack for TomTom Navigator 3

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=600

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Expensive and I already got the Tomtom 2004 as an update to tt2.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware of that update path. Did you get it automatically or did you have to apply for it? I have TTN2 USA, but was never sent any update.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts about 04:

What I like:

-Having street names and freeway exit numbers on the map. This feature alone, even with all the losses in 04 makes it worth the upgrade to me. Cruising down the freeway and being able to see the exit number well before you can actually read the road sign is worth some money. Having names/exits increases my situational awareness big time.
-The smoother movement of your position over the map. It looks really nice.
-Hearing a cow moo when I'm near a Nightlife POI is too cool. It's hilarious! If I'm not having fun it's not worth it. Being able to select the warning distance and sound is valuable.
-Customizable POIs. While the POI is somewhat updated it's imperative to add my own POIs. While I did this on the previous version I spent a lot of time making little graphics and transferring them. Now I have quite a few icons to choose from.
-The map turns to grayscale when you lose your fix. While I rarely lose it it's handy in tunnels, under large evergreens etc.
-Landscape mode. My hard wired Brodit mount also rotates 90 degrees so it's handy however I think I may like portrait better.
-I don't have to turn on my BT. TT turns it on for me. Lutz walked me through a registry hack, more later.
-Touch screen finger pad for volume
-Jane English UK voice is the best! LOVE her accent. Not sure if I could add her on the old version but I'm in love with her accent, maybe her. And "motorway" just sounds better than "highway"

What I don't like:

-The loss of distance to destination is huge. I'd much rather have remaining distance than time or speed. Giving you current time, time of arrival, and remaining time to destination is redundant. I'm pretty sure I can subtract. And what's up with fractions of hours vs. minutes? What in the world is .19 hours? How about minutes? I can handle yards but this sucks.
-Don't like the autozoom algorithm. I like to zoom out so I can see more roads and where I'm going to be further out in time. Unfortunately by default after I zoom out it zooms back in. I really miss the option of not autozooming in the previous version.
-Miss the buttons assigments. Very nice to change between day/night colors or 3d/2d with a push of a button. And exit with a button too, and volume etc. All gone
-Miss the compass. The red circle representing north was extremely valuable in enhancing my situational awareness.
-The font is smaller. I can just make out the times and I have excellent vision.
-Extremely challenging for me to install. Sure it installed easy but then like other versions TT hijacked my BT and I couldn't use my Pocket Navigator. Thankfully Lutz (Thank you!!!) walked me through editing some of the registry. I worked on it for days and couldn't get it all to work and then Lutz spent over 2 hours with me. The port hijacking should be illegal.

All in all even with the losses I think it's an improvement. Like most things in life I had to make a few concessions but worth it.
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have an upgrading promotion of tt2 to tt 2004 for 53 $ in USA website.
Mizio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: TT 2004 US Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to load TT 2004 into a Dell V50, which is not yet in the TT 2004 compatibility list?

Thanks
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TT 2004 US Reply with quote

Mizio wrote:
Has anyone been able to load TT 2004 into a Dell V50, which is not yet in the TT 2004 compatibility list?

Thanks

sure It is doable and it works fine withe VGa screen
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything to gain by using the tomtom 3.07 version with the 2004 maps? i've been playing with the tomtom 2.34 version over the 2.24 maps trying the itinerary settings (still trying to figure it out.) do you add any new functions by running 3.07 with 2004 maps? thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: