Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 2004 NA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops... I did a mystake during the conversion, the "-" didn't work....
DO NOT use the list right now, I will correct it right now.
Thanks,
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: NEW airport list Reply with quote

Here is the new airport file:
http://www.ledoux.cc/downloads/airports-ov2-AFL-011805.zip

If someone has a better icon, you can send it to me.

lbendlin: Can you modify the link on my previous post with the new one.
you can also download the file and put it where you want...

If you have other excel file with other database, you can send them to me too so we can add them somewhere.
Is it possible to create a POI-USA database somewhere?
Thanks,
Alex
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post to the forum, so please excuse me if I tread on any toes etc.

I purchased the TomTom HP Navigation Pack here in the UK as a Christmas present for my wife. I chose TomTom on the recommendation of a colleague, and I also liked the 3D view option which so many of its competitors still seem to lack. I had previously looked at a Blaukpunct or Alpine car stereo solution, but was put off by the cost. The HP Navigation Pack seemed to offer the best deal at the time (£290 from Global Positioning Systems), though I was unaware that it was a V4 product rather than V3.

Despite the problems described in this thread (some of which don't appear to be valid, eg itinerary now being done by a series of 'via' options, am I correct?) I have been very impressed with the product. It has taken us into the heart of London and out again with only one wrong turn (a one way street), after which it instantly recalculated our route to take bring us back on track. Having purchased the license for the included Western Europe map CDs, my wife has used to great affect in Germany, saving a considerable amount of time over her usual route.

The criticism's I have are:
- The Post Code recognition, but that I understand is a 'feature' of TomTom :-).
- You have to use the supplied (but very good) windscreen bracket as this is what the GPS and power supply plug into, or am I getting this wrong?
- Unless you've got it in the car with the ignition on, to supply power for the GPS, it won't calculate a route, again am I getting this wrong?

The HP Navigation Pack is an easy to set up, simple to use product. As yet, as it is with my wife in Germany, I haven't had a chance to play around with it but from my all to brief experience with it, I think it offers much for the more experienced user too - it's just different from TTN3.

As an aside, I seem to remember you can set up a Favourite from a GPS position - is that a way to bypass the lack of a facility to navigate to a GPS position? As I said, I haven't got the system here to have a look.
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Not sure on Canada and Walmarts/dump stations.

Wait. Walmart addresses are public knowledge. We could simply geocode it from their web site listing.

I was unclear about the "conversion", which I intended to mean from the aviation database to the POI format. I found WinOV2, and use that to make the POI/OV2 conversions. The system is workable now, and I will stay with TTN. I envy the huge number of POI the Europeans have, but I think the USA can catch up!

With the airport "show-stopper" problem solved, now it's just a matter some refinement. If the Walmarts can be geocoded, that would be a big asset. From the rv newsgroup (rec.outdoors.rv-travel), many have made partial lists manually for use with various navigation systems (usually laptops). A full list would be great boon.

I will check on the rv group, just in case there are lists I've missed. If they are good lists, perhaps they could be easily converted to OV2 format.
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ GIS:

Yes you must use the supplied bracket to get power to the GPS-antenna. But you can charge indoor with the supplied AC-adaptor.

- Unless you've got it in the car with the ignition on, to supply power for the GPS, it won't calculate a route, again am I getting this wrong?

You dont need GPS-signal to calculate a route. Just select "Plan from A to B" in the menu and you have a lot of options to choose for start and destination (eg: Address, Favorite, POI, Recent location, Home, etc) Then you will get distance, time to travel etc, and you can choos to see written travel-instruktions with diferent choices of "time/ distance" to next event. By clicking on the event you will be shown the place in the map. I think this is slightly better than TT3. (easier)

BTW: I got a HP NavPack unit for testing... and I have to say that I get more and more happy about the way TomTom have made this.
The only one thing I realy miss, is the "Go to coordinate..." function, and bigger text for the speed when driving.

I think also they should have one menu (read: 7 pages) instead of the two-pages menu with rest of the setting under "properties" (5 pages)
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Zeena - I shall have to take a look at that next time I get my hands on the device. Realised about the AC adaptor of course Smile .

I had hoped to use it at some point on the hills, but obviously this isn't going to be possible. A drawback of the supplied 1710 in the Nav Pack is only one SD slot, which would be taken up by any GPS antenna I chose (like the Rikaline GPS-6010 Smart GPS Receiver), leaving me with a tiny amount of onboard memory for any mapping application I'd want to use when hiking.

My expectations as to how the Nav Pack would perform have been exceeded - for the price I think it's an excellent product. I develop and support telematics products (not Navigation) in my day job, and believe me the Nav Pack has a good GPS system - worked even behind my old Puma's heated front windscreen which I was very surprised about.
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I of course meant the GlobalSat SD-510, not the Rikaline GPS-6010 Embarassed
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: USA POI for rv owners: Wal-marts, dump stations, campgrounds Reply with quote

flyguy26e wrote:
I will check on the rv group, just in case there are lists I've missed. If they are good lists, perhaps they could be easily converted to OV2 format.

I found some excellent geocoded text lists (Wal-Marts, dump stations, campgrounds, etc) on a USA motorhome site. They are also in Delorme Street Atlas .an1 format. I'm contacting the list managers about their policies on using their lists and referencing their site, and perhaps hosting the TT format on their site.

US motorhome drivers tend to use laptop programs because they have a huge dashboard to mount it on, and are usually traeveling as a couple, so the passenger can tend to the laptop. Even so, there is interest in the TomTom Go.
zeroknowledge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

In preparation for my purchase of the 1710 hp pack Ive been reading loads on this site....great work!! loads of great information

bit gutted about....

GIS wrote:
I had hoped to use it at some point on the hills, but obviously this isn't going to be possible.

...but would a quick sale on ebay and a model upgrade provide this ability? (not saying you should GIS, just wanting to know if I would encounter any problems :D )

thanks all
zeroknowledge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after flipping my choice from mobile to hp bundle - i think im going back to mobile
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeroknowledge - I think something like a Ipaq 2210, which has 2 SD slots so allowing your maps on one card, and the aerial in the other slot, would be good. There's probably wome equivalent CF models - my original choice would have been for CF as I have 2 digital cameras which are CF. Also for a bluetooth aerial instead of wired.

The thing is, the Nav Pack was such a good deal, I went for that, despite the limitation of the 1710 which to be honest won't limit me 99.9% of the time. I've always been more of a map and compass man on the hills anyway, but of they bring out an SD GPS antenna with the ability to take another SD card, or a sleeve for the 1710, I may look further.

Anyway, at the price, I'll be upgrading the whole lot in 2-3 years, rather than buy new maps. This system would then go into the second car.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIS wrote:
something like a Ipaq 2210, which has 2 SD slots so allowing your maps on one card, and the aerial in the other slot, would be good.

To be precise, the 2210 has a SD and a CF slot. But the idea still stands true - it's a much better machine for outdoor use than the 1710.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Some great news.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have found a really cool website for waypoints at:
http://www.topografix.com/data.asp.
You have to download the software at
http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp to open the loc file.

In the trial version, I can only open one state, I selelected Virginia. Once the file is opened, you can export it as a csv file and edit it into excell to divide them into the different categories.
Once it's done, I used POIconverter to create my ov2 file. I will export all the waypoint for Virginia into ov2 files. If everyone does a different state, we will have a great tomtom database. Just for Virginia, there are more than 50 000 POI :-). I don't know if it's legal or not, but it should be okay? What do you think? If we can create nice icons that we share, we can keep the same name categories and provides nice icons. We can later add all the state together and create big files for all the united states...

Keep me in touch,

Alexandre
PS: I'll post the files as soon as there are done.
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, we really should create a community website where we can easily submit and update the different database.
I can find a host but I would need some help to maintain the website and create a nice and easy interface to submit and collect POI.
I'm waiting your comments...
zeroknowledge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - still living in an undecided state - & how I could have done with havin it yesterday (got lost big style) :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: