Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps are terrible in Scotland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps are terrible in Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffblockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Maps are terrible in Scotland Reply with quote

I bought a Tomtom Go on the 26th Dec took it back on the 8th Jan got a refund no problem then bought a NavMan 510 on the 8th Jan maps are exactly the same took it back on the 9th Jan got a refund no problem.
The problem with maps for both lies with TeleAtlas all the roads are in the right place but a lot are named wrong. I have spoken to TeleAtlas on the phone and they told me the problem was with Tomtom Go software because they don't have a problem with any other Sat Nav that is why i bought the NavMan 510 but the problem is exactly the same.
I am a Taxi Driver in Glasgow and have found about 70 mistakes all ready.
I think the Tomtom Go is better than the NavMan it is easier to put the destinations in.
I will probely buy the Tomtom again after i speak to TeleAtlas to see if they are going to fix the problem.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the London taxi drivers' "Knowledge" requirement apply in Scotland? Smile
jeffblockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the knowlege test does apply to Glasgow but even after you pass the knowlege test you still don't know every single side street.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

jeff
on another forum someone had the same problem with york city centre....but someone with the later version maps 390 said there tomtom go was ok in york....it might be worth trying to make sure you get one with the later map version and see how it compares
Cheers
Rob
jeffblockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i know if i have later version maps 390.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call up preferences, page 5, click on "About TomTom Go" and all of the software versions are displayed.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffblockley wrote:

You can't tell from the box prior to buying it, unfortunately.

Once you have got it, you can bring up an information page by selecting Change Preferences and then About TomTom GO.
VeloVenom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffblockley wrote:

An easy way is to tap bottom centre of the first screen, then tap version which should now be showing on the right.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeloVenom wrote:
An easy way is to tap bottom centre of the first screen, then tap version which should now be showing on the right.

Doesn't work for me! All I get by tapping the bottom centre is a slider to change the volume!
VeloVenom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
VeloVenom wrote:

Doesn't work for me! All I get by tapping the bottom centre is a slider to change the volume!

Tap the bottom centre or right.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeloVenom wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
VeloVenom wrote:

Tap the bottom centre or right.

Ah, I see! There isn't a 'centre' as such. Anything to the right of the centreline brings up the screen you mention - and anything to the left brings up the volume slider. So aiming for the centre is rather a hit or miss affair! [I was obviously slightly to the left when I tried earlier].
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator,

Could you possibly rename this thread, please?

The TomTom maps of Scotland are not terrible - as I'm sure Jeff has probably found out by now. Jeff actually says in his very first post that he will probably buy the TomTom again .... Then the subject changes to methods of checking the map version.

How about: "Checking the map version" as a more accurate thread title?

Charles
jeffblockley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles

I have bought a Tomtom Go again and i think it is an excellent piece of equipment.
The only thing is that the maps have a lot of mistakes but i would say it is about 90% right
i see you are from the north eats of Scotland and i don't know how many mistakes you have as you live around a couple of small City's bring your Tomtom to a big City and you will see that the maps are naming a lot of streets & roads wrong.
But i have spoken to TeleAtlas and they know there is a problem and they are working on the mistakes.

Jeff
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

For the past few months I've been using the TomTom (maps: Major Roads of Europe, Britain, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark) and agree it is an excellent piece of equipment. You drive in a more relaxed fashion. In rain, snow and dark you can see which side streets you are approaching. And you get a very good estimate of when you'll arrive at your destination.

As far as the map quality is concerned - nothing is perfect. But I must say I haven't found the mapping standard in Scotland to be any better or wrose than the other countries I've motored in. Remember: it's not just the wheels we have to put in motion when we drive - we have to get our brains in gear, too. TomTom is an aid, not an auto pilot.

I think there's a tendency by many people to grab at little niggles and blow them out of proportion ... :-)

Let's agree on the basic fact: TomTom is an absolutely godsend to the motorist!

Charles
Mabozza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the scottish maps are not great, but, not terrible, however, If you find yourself in the northj east of Scotland and don't have a fair knowledge, you may get in a spot of bother...i put in from Aberdeen city centre to an address in Stonehaven, south of Aberdeen, the directions took me to Peterhead NORTH of Aberdeen, did the same when using postcodes. as i said if you don'#t know the north east well you would be very lost.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: