Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Coloured lights on TT BT receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Coloured lights on TT BT receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Coloured lights on TT BT receiver Reply with quote

Hi All.

My TT BlueTooth receiver was working AOK up until the weekend (I have had it since XMas) as the light flashed blue. It then stopped receiving and the flashing light had become red. I thought either it had lost LOS with the satellites or the batteries were flat. After charging it overnight at home, the light still flashes red when I turn it on. What does this mean?

Many thanks in advance,

Jason.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means it has failed, you'll have to arrange for a warranty replacement. This used to be quite common on the TomTom BT GPS's but I thought the newer stock was more resilient. You might have had an older unit though.

Is it still in warranty?
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a blow Sad

Yes it's brand new - I received it for XMas. It took ages for PC World to get them in stock though so I don't like my chances of getting one any time soon Confused

Thanks for your reply.

Jason
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

I managed to swap the bluetooth device at PC World today. However, it would appear I may have been given an older item as it doesn't come with the update CD for Windows version 2. My existing item had a sticker on the box advertising this and an update CD inside.

The actual unit looks identical in every way. Will the hardware be the same do you think?

Many thanks.

Jason
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too worried - especially if this GPS works and your original one doesn't.

Some TomTom Bluetooth GPSes have standard SiRF firmware, some have XTrac II firmware. For "in car" use it tends not to make that much difference which firmware you have, though XTrac II may work in very difficult situations (Central London) where standard SiRF won't.

David
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks David. Smile

Jason
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, trouble with the new unit.

After charging the new unit, a blue flashing light now appears which is excellent. I've run through the TomTom Wizard and reconfigured the Bluetooth connection, but it doesn't communicate with Navigator 3 after this. If I go to the Bluetooth manager when Navigator 3 is running, there are no active Bluetooth connections.

Am I missing the plot or is this new gizmo kaput as well?

Incidentally, I didn't notice when I collected the swapped unit but there was no cellophane wrapping on the box and the seal on the CD had been broken. :x

Can anyone help me get a connection before 12.45 today as at that point I'm going to PC World with a bad attitude 8O

Many thanks in advance.

Jason.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring TomTom for a moment, can you create a BT Bond with the GPS in BT manager successfully?
jase7678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, thanks for your relpy. I'm sorry to say that I managed to fix it!

I followed the instructions on the TomTom website and had to manually connect and configure the hardware. I didn't do that the very first time around when it worked straight away after using the TomTom Wizard.

Very odd but as it's working I shall smile and ask no more questions Smile

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Jason.
moggycattermole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sort of related question.

I have the TomTom BT GPS, which sits quite happily on the instrument pod of the car and is powerd from the cigar lighter through the TomTom IPAQ mount.

It seems to me that the power connection, where the jack-plug pushes into the rear of the GPS is a bit flaky. Often I will think it is running off the car's power when the GPS position becomes 'unreliable' and the blue flashing light becomes a red constant one.

Fiddle about with the lead and eventually you can get the other red light to come on constantly, which I understand means it is charging. Pushing it in very hard seems the best solution, but it can lose the connection again when travelling.

Is there an easy fix for this? I've wondered about nipping the jack plug lightly in a vice to make it more elliptical and so a better interference fit, alternatively dropping some conducting grease into the socket in the plug itself. I'll do neither though until wiser heads have had their say.

Thanks in advance, as ever.

Rob
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not be a connection issue. Until recently I always used my TT BT in the excellent car cradle that used to be supplied and maintained a switched 12v feed to the GPS.

Now I have a new car I have not got around to wiring this in so rely on battery power with the occasional top up from a charge lead when it runs low. I've found that if battery power falls low enough for the Red LED to illuminate , connecting the charger does not allow it to maintain a BT Connection, it will happily begin charging but until the battery has charged a little I cannot make a BT connection.

Could this be what's happening to you also?
moggycattermole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I don't run it on its own batteries in my own car. If it is there, it is plugged into the mount, which is plugged into the cigar lighter

Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: