Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

I have just updated my Jornada to TTom 2.24 and GPS 2.06 and now the device is asking for an activation code. Why this should happen on an update I do not know. It was working fine until then. I have been on to the ttcode page and entered the product number and it tells me the device is already activated BUT gives me a device code entirely different than the one displayed on the Jornada. I have sent an e-mail to TT Support but am not holding my breath if past expereince is anything to go by. Have I really got to wait another 70 days for a new code as the screen states?

Any ideas please ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

I agree, I think TomTom should be take each case on a case by case merit. Still lock it down to 6 months, but if people are genuinely complaining, reset the lock by one count.

Personally I like the way TravRoute are doing activations with CoPilot Live. Once activated, if you want to move to a newer Pocket PC, you can without trouble. You just make sure you de-activate it first on your old Pocket PC (or via their activation website), this will then give you a new key, use this to activate and hey presto, you're up and running on your nice new Pocket PC. There has to be an element of trust in activations. Sure they don't want you to pirate by installing 500 copies, but it's already been proven how to hack the TomTom Executable to remove the licensing information.

If you do get further problems with activation, send me a private email and I'll have a quiet word with TomTom to see what can be done (on a case by case merit).
brianhill_uk
Occasional Visitor

My first Ipaq went faulty within a few days so was replaced very promptly by Dixons (same day), and I reinstalled TTN and other software. This Ipaq also went faulty (press the sides lightly together and it did a hard reset!!). Dixons again responded excellently. It was only when I tried to reload TTN that I found this 6 month problem and following an email explaining the circumstances to TTN support I was basically told that I would have to wait 6 months to use my £300 worth of TTN. Thankfully Dixons came to the rescue and gave me a replacement TTN, but it's VERY VERY poor service by TTN and I feel very let down. What happens if this one got stolen/lost/damaged? TTN???????????????

Quote: Originally posted by StephenP on 01 April 2003

From their support page:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/navigator2.php#s10

*** start quote ***

What is this "Software Activation"?

-------------------------------------

Inside the TomTom Navigator CD-ROM box is a unique code number. The very first time you run the installer, it will ask you to enter this code. That's all. The installer will take care of the rest. It will retrieve an access code for your product from our internet server and unlock TomTom Navigator on your PocketPC.

But suppose my PocketPC crashes?

Don't worry. First of all, your access code is stored in many places: in your device "registry" (which survives soft resets), in your "PocketPC backup", optionally on your SD-card (which survives hard resets), and even on the hard disk of your PC (i.e. your installer will remember it even if your PocketPC loses it). On top of that, our internet server will reproduce every code we've ever provided as often as needed.

And if I buy a new PocketPC?

You can install TomTom Navigator on more than one PocketPC. However: you can't activate two different devices within the same week, three devices within six months, four devices within a year, and so on. Well, in fact you can: if your PocketPC acquisition rate exceeds these parameters, just send a request to our support department.

*** end quote ***

Darren
Frequent Visitor

You will need to re-install TTNav and re-activate it on the new unit as the Device ID will have changed. if you have only activated TTNav once already then this is easily done.
eyepacman
Occasional Visitor

I am getting a replacement Ipaq from HP to replace my faulty one. If I do a File backup on my current Ipaq, then will TTN-2 run when I restore the backup to the new Ipaq of same model.
Gwydion
Occasional Visitor

Yes your are correct DavidW, unfortunately I learnt the lesson the hard way although to be fair compaq were very quick at collecting and returning my ipaq, all in under one week and free of charge.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Gwydion,

I guess the moral of that story is, then, that if you want to downgrade the ROM on a 3900 series iPAQ, is to use the ROM downgrade that HP/Compaq have issued, and *not* the ROM backup that it was suggested you made with the upgrade utility.

David
jonsegal
Occasional Visitor

Dave,

You must have installed it 4 days ago because I think you must get a 7 day time break in between installations.

I am actaully very dissapointed in the Post Code feature (or lack of) though, but the activation system as a real benefit I think. Ok, so it's going to annoy the Pirates out there, but it will mean that companies selling it will stay in business, keeping TomTom developing better and newer versions!
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Does anybody know *how* the activation process works when interrogating the internet? I'm likely to be installing at work, and out web connection sits behind a firewall. Whilst this is fine for most things (on-line ordering, banking, etc.), there are some restriction (Avantgo, messenger, streaming media, etc.).

I don't want to get in a situation where I've messed up my activation code...
StephenP
Occasional Visitor

From their support page:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/navigator2.php#s10

*** start quote ***

What is this "Software Activation"?

Inside the TomTom Navigator CD-ROM box is a unique code number. The very first time you run the installer, it will ask you to enter this code. That's all. The installer will take care of the rest. It will retrieve an access code for your product from our internet server and unlock TomTom Navigator on your PocketPC.

But suppose my PocketPC crashes?

Don't worry. First of all, your access code is stored in many places: in your device "registry" (which survives soft resets), in your "PocketPC backup", optionally on your SD-card (which survives hard resets), and even on the hard disk of your PC (i.e. your installer will remember it even if your PocketPC loses it). On top of that, our internet server will reproduce every code we've ever provided as often as needed.

And if I buy a new PocketPC?

You can install TomTom Navigator on more than one PocketPC. However: you can't activate two different devices within the same week, three devices within six months, four devices within a year, and so on. Well, in fact you can: if your PocketPC acquisition rate exceeds these parameters, just send a request to our support department.

*** end quote ***
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Legally, the license agreement does say that you can only install it on one device at anyone time. However, if you're only capable of using one, then personally I couldn't see much issue here, but you would have to talk to TomTom regarding license implications.
ottopop
Occasional Visitor

Wow that is a great thing.

I have 2 pocketPC: A Toshiba e740 BT and a Pocket Loox!

My problem is that I use Toshiba's PPC with my city-car and Loox with my other car (I have 2 different PPC's car supports).

Does that mean that I can install Navigator 2 on both of them without changing my car supports?

Thank You,

Max
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Darren's been testing out the Activation today. Here's an update on how the Activation works.

When you activate TTN2 for the first time, it will give you a 7 day counter, which means if you need to re-activate it a second time (on another Pocket PC) you will have to wait 7 days for the counter to count down to zero before you can move your activation to another Pocket PC. This isn't a major problem, but wait...

If you then activate TTN2 on a second Pocket PC, it will activate successfully but you will then be told that you can't activate on another device for another 183 days (over 6 months!). So if you do have problems with repairs or insurance replacements on your Pocket PC, you are undoubtedly going to have to contact TomTom to sort out activation issues!
ottopop
Occasional Visitor

I think that too.

I asked you about the activation of every country because it could be a factor for not buying this cd!

In fact it is obvious that if you buy the european cd (That doesn't include the software) you have already bought AND ACTIVATED the software CD...

Thak you for your answer,

Max
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Max, I believe it's only a one time activation of the software on that device to permit use. You might find there's a second activation key to activate the Europe CD, unfortunately I don't have the Europe CD's so can't really give a definitive answer, but I would think it would be a bad move having to activate every country.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: