Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom BT GPS Reciever Chipsets
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom BT GPS Reciever Chipsets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom BT GPS Reciever Chipsets Reply with quote

I purchased a TomTom for Palm BT set last March and it's been working well since the last update.
On the bottom of my BT GPS receiver it has a a little E 24 logo - Is this and indication of the GPS chipset it uses?

This week I purchased a new Palm BT set for my Father-in-Law and his BT GPS receiver has a Sirf Xtrac2 logo on the bottom.

The new receiver is much quicker to get a position from cold and is even getting a 4 satelite lock indoors! Whereas mine will not even find one Sat signal
It looks like TomTom have upgraded the chipset used since I bought mine

It's good news for anyone considering the TomTom BT option

Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E24 logo, especially if it's circular, is to do with EU approval for in car use.

All the TomTom Bluetooth GPSes are SiRFstar IIe/LP based; yours clearly is running standard SiRF firmware (known as GSW2). Your father's unit is running SiRF XTrac II firmware.

The differences have been mentioned various times in the forums; XTrac will work with poorer signals, but the compromise is that there's a few features in GSW2 that aren't in XTrac II (particularly support for SBAS - WAAS and EGNOS), and some people have found XTrac II firmware gives inaccurate positions in some circumstances, (the one that's been mentioned is when walking when the GPS has a poor view of the sky).

For in-car use, XTrac II seems fine (unlike the original XTrac, which tended to show a position lag in-car).

David
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David

interesting, I guess it's just chance my XTrac reciever couldn't find any signals in the same location that the XtracII found 4 good ones

I don't suppose the firmware is 'downloadable' or reprogramable in any way?

I'm an Electronics Engineer, and I've been itching to take the unit apart since I got it ;-)

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: