Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seeking advice on suitable GPS and in-car kit for Acer n30b
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking advice on suitable GPS and in-car kit for Acer n30b

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Seeking advice on suitable GPS and in-car kit for Acer n30b Reply with quote

Having a very generous wife, I have received an Acer n30b for Christmas. I would like to turn it into an in-car GPS. Advice on what I need in terms of receiver, software and accessories would be welcomed. I am looking at the lower end of the cost range and expect to use it in the UK and occasionally Western Europe. I have been in touch with TomTom's help desk who tell me none of their equipment is compatible and I'm a bit in the dark about other manufacturers. GPS internet sites seem to be more concerned with package deals.

With thanks, Charlie
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Acer n30b appears to be a 64MB RAM Pocket PC 2003 machine. Software wise you should be fine - the problem is finding a way to connect GPS hardware. My understanding is that the b in n30b means Bluetooth - so you should be able to use a Bluetooth GPS.

TomTom may not profess compatibility, and I can't guarantee it will work, but there should be no problem using a Bluetooth GPS and Pocket PC navigation software on your PDA. You'll need to put your maps on an SD card.

David
Savs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to all this too however if you look at Acer's Website they explain which software & GPS receiver they use in the N30 satnav bundle. They do not list which car mount they use however i'm sure if you can contact an Acer Distributor (I know Northamber are a disti) maybe they can liase with Acer and try and find out for you what mount is in the included in the bundle. They may even be able to tell you if the accessorie is availble to buy seperatley and who you can purchase it from (They'll recomend one of there customers/retail outlets) if this is possible?

Web address is (Copy link) and then select more info.

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page4.do?dau22.oid=7123&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&ctx1=UK&crc=3097919870

I hope this can help you a little??

Cheers Daz
cheng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom 3 work a treat with BlueTooth GPS just set the receiver to Generic BT GPS, not the TT one (unless of course u buy a software/ receiver package Smile )
Charlie4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks for observations Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions/observations made. I have tried to track down the Royaltek RBT 1000 bluetooth which is mentioned as bundled with Acer's GPS pack but I have (so far) been unsuccessful in finding a supplier of this model and therefore a price.

I tried Acer's help line with no luck (my call was not returned) and there email support service also. Equally no response.

My dear wife bought me a wired TomTom GPS unit & software TT3 from Amazon with the Acer n30b. I assumed she had checked/been advised of compatibility and removed the shrinkwrap from the box, discovering inside it was not compatible and then getting the magnifying glass out to see the small print on the side of the box. Sadly Amazon will not take it back (because the box shrinkwrap is off) even though the software seals are unbroken and the GPS unit has never been plugged into anything. They advertise it as suitable for PocketPCs and don't indicate its limited use until you delve much deeper. TomTom's response was 'oh dear, an expensive mistake'!

I guess I shall have to try to sell it privately.

Charles
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluetooth TomTom pack would almost certainly have worked.

You've two options. You can keep the TomTom software and buy a Bluetooth GPS - or try to sell the whole pack.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: