Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Couple of questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artizan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Couple of questions Reply with quote

Hi all..
Couple of questions about gps software really…

Ive had tomtom3 for the pocket pc, then switched to sony palm with Navman st pro. Both map software has been great, but I find all the wires and a small screen a bit of a pain tbh… plus I find it hard to hear the instructions when on the motorway.
Ive been thinking of switching to a pc based software, like copilot or infomap, but being a PC based software i have no idea how they compare to tomtom or navman. Ive been reading though some of the reviews and although good they did not help in this circumstance…

I think I would stay with a pda if I could hook up a larger screen and improve sound .. possible?..

Any adivce is greally appriciated. :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting a PC in your car safely (even light laptops are several kilograms), without obscuring your vision or getting in the way of your airbags if they deployed is very difficult. Meanwhile, there are a few ways of connecting external screens to some Pocket PCs, but such external screens are not touchscreens, and most navigation software uses the touchscreen.

If volume 'in car' is a problem, there are amplified mounts available. If you choose the Pocket PC with the best screen you can afford (I find the iPAQ hx4700's screen very good - particularly with a WriteSHIELD AG on it to cut down the glare), I don't think you'll be too disappointed. After all, the navigation software is optimised for the small PDA screens, and most dedicated in car units have screens of a similar size to a Pocket PC.

You can manage a neat install with the right mounts hard-wired to suitable power, and the judicious use of Bluetooth. I don't have any photos of my current setup, but there's really not much cabling in sight.

David
Artizan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice David...

Does anyone know if you can get a remote for the Pocket pc to operate the gps software? Only my Sony palm th55 comes with a remote which comes in handy....

Thanks in advance..
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any Pocket PC remote controls - but maybe someone else is.

Some of the Navman iCN range have remote controls - though they're dedicated navigation units rather than Pocket PCs.

David
Artizan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again David for your help...

I’ve been looking at the hp47xx series, as you mentioned, and it does look like the ideal device. I’m probably going to run tomtom3, via Bluetooth, however all this is new to me so I’m a bit lost.

Can you recommend a good solid Bluetooth device?

Another problem I have is in car chargers, i.e. cigarette lighter power. Is it possible to hardwire the power for 47xx pda rather then use the cigarette lighter? In my first post I mentioned how sound was a problem when on the motorway. Well my current holder for my Sony palm has an external speaker built into it, but I still can’t hear it to well. Are you aware of a kit available for the 47xx series that allows it to be connected to a stereo input?

Apologise for the all questions

Thanks in advance
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fortuna Clip On is completely solid with my iPAQ hx4700.

There's a stereo out socket on the hx4700 - if you have something in your car to wire it to. Brodit make some excellent mounts for many Pocket PCs including the hx4700. My hx4700 mount isn't an amplified one - I find the hx4700 loud enough without, but Brodit do sell an amplified mount.

I have a cigarette lighter socket hardwired (with appropriate fuses) to my carphone wiring loom behind my dashboard. The cigarette lighter plug to my Brodit mount and to a charger I have on my dashboard for the Clip On go into a socket doubler - the whole lot is hidden behind the dash of my Zafira. I really must take some digital camera pictures!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: