Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 4420 ppc with SmartSt v3 (GB maps) Problems / help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 4420 ppc with SmartSt v3 (GB maps) Problems / help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be a good idea to mail HP regarding the problems with the rx3715.
The more users that tell them of the problem with the Bluetooth Manager the more likely a ROM update will be made available to correct the BT Manager problem.

HP contact details
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - I disagree icsys.

It's up to the supplier in the first instance - it also hinges on whether prior knowledge existed or not.

If it did (=lose) if it didn't (=lose) alrightie it looks like a lose-lose situation

The brandholder has a responsibility to ensure that claims are true, valid and realistic and not overstating the case

IMHO none of these is satisfied
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 'nst' bought his rx3715 and 4420 as a specific bundle and feels the package is 'Not fit for its intended purpose' then he should send it back to the retailer for a full refund.

Drawing your attention to this
Quote:
a) the rx3715 and the Navman 4420 with SmartST v3 are approved by Navman UK. Navman New Zealand did not approve te two products working together, but the guy I spoke to from Navman UK said he personally tested it (on his own rx3715 and smartST v3) and was happy to approve the two products as compatible.

b) however, he is running an old version of ROM (not available to the general public, as he got his rx3715 as a pre-release). It is this version of ROM that smartST v3 was tested on!! He also tells me that the latest version of ROM which HP have released (mid-december 2004) may cause problems with Navman 4420?!!?! It is this which he is currently investigating for me and going to do more tests.
I would suggest that it is HP who have revised their ROM and BT Manager (which they are entitled to do) that has caused the incompatibility which stretches to TomTom BT receivers too, hence the patch I linked to earlier. Several people claim to have had success with this patch. Unfortunately 'nst' seems not to have been as lucky.
Therefore it is not unreasonable, in my opinion, to contact HP and make them aware of how widespread the situation is.

Also as previously discussed, I have a h2210 and use SmartSTv3 with the same Navman BT receiver as that provided with the 4420 package. I don't experience the problems which you have reported therefore there cannot be a compatibility issue.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
nst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Refund Reply with quote

BBB and icsys

To keep you informed I called (usual 30minutes waiting on hold) the Internet company which supplied my GPS/PDA they say that the rx3715 and navman 4420 wont work together sorry 9 out of 10 units wont work to quote the support line.
They are happy to give a refund once I send it back to them. They said they have been in contact with navman about this and were told that the units definatley wont work together. I asked if they were going to put anything out to customers but they said they were waiting for navmans offical response but would refund anyone who contacted them with problems if it was a short time after purchase. All sounds very fishy but I am now changing over to tomtom. My only niggle with the Tomtom setup is the Navman BT GPS unit without its own internal battery was much better with Memory Map for hiking, as you dont need to keep charging it. Anyway thanks for your ideas on trying to fix the RX3715/4420.

Nick
SD card:Transcend 512mb (X60speed)
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IMHO (and I hope HP and Navman read and participate in this forum) is an absolute success.

Things do go wrong from time-to-time and again IMHO it is wonderful to see the right thing being done or about to be done.

There are tremendous complexities in IT plus the commercial factors to consider too. These can conspire to make it easy to dodge the issue rather than face it head on.

Kudos to all.

I for one will not grapple with the 2210 V3 4420 setup as it seems uncannily stable and I have no intention of introducing anything new which may ... well you know what I mean.

On the other hand: PPC security leaves me a bit baffled. I can set up all manners of locks and passwords and dah-de-dah but, like most people I guess, I save details to removable media. No there does seem to be a compromised area.

Secure personal data with e-locks to the PPC by opening files directly through a card reader?

I hope that Pocket Word will allow password protection and ...

Oh Gosh! Gone off topic!

<end of rant>
Snerkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any of you good people tell me if this Bluetooth GPS (4420) will work with other PPC software and with PC software such as AutoRoute ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does
Snerkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, got the 4420 and V3 software running sweetly on my h2210, even the wife is impressed with it (believe me that is not the norm where technology is concerned Laughing )

Took a bit to get the 4420 to work with Windows XP SP2, basically needed to ditch the Microsoft excuse for a BT driver and install the original BT software supplied with my BT dongle.

I wonder if Microsoft have messed with the BT driver in newer versions of pocketpc and that this is contributing to the problems with the rx3715 (maybe totally wrong of course as I don't know if it is a Microsoft or HP driver ?!?)
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the record route option?
Graph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Navman Reply with quote

FWIW - Just downloaded and installed SP2 for SmartST V3 s/w.

Instead of the app exiting after a few seconds on the road. It lasted for an entire journey. OK - so it was only a 5 mins trip, but it's a vast improvement on the 'exit app at next junction' that was happening before.

Incidentally I don't think it was the BT connection that was the problem. I did a 2 hour journey with the GPS info display running - worked fine. Just exited as soon as I tried to follow the journey on the map.

rx3715 ROM 1.01.11 ENG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: