Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning Chime - How to change the sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning Chime - How to change the sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockycanal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Warning Chime - How to change the sound Reply with quote

Fellow ICN Owners,

Having searched the forum and through my own experimentation I have found the following way of changing the warning chime sound for the Active POI proximity alert.

Please note that any changes you make to the files on your ICN will almost certainly not be supported by NAVMAN should you have problems. Always keep a copy of any files you modify in case you need to revert back to the original state. If you follow the suggestions below you do so at your own risk. They have worked for me but that could be down to the Software Version and Build for the unit I have (Version 3.00.1008 Built on 22/11/2004 - Service Pack 1 has been loaded).

1. Upload the sound file you want to hear into the MyPOI directory that is on the Storage Card. You can do this using the ActiveSync programme and just copy and paste the file into that location. However see caution below as the format of the sound file is important.

2. Locate the INI file for the POI that you want to change the sound. The INI file will be on the Storage Card in the MyPOI directory. Copy the file onto your desktop, open it using a text editor such as Notepad and add the following line to the end "soundfile=xxx.wav" where xxx.wav is the name of the soundfile that you uploaded in step 1. Do not include the exclamation marks. You will now have something like this (the name in the [] will be the name of the POI file e.g GATSO in my case).

[GATSO]
enabled=1
active=1
distance=500
time=0
visualwarning=1
soundwarning=1
soundfile=xxx.wav

3. Save the edited file and then copy and paste back into the MyPOI directory on the Storage Card.

4. When you unplug the sync cable the ICN will reset and you will now hopefully be able to play the sound file when the proximity alert kicks in for the POI file that you amended.

Caution - I have discovered that some sound files just will not play and some will play and alert but then the voice commands for the routing stop. It seems to be down to the format of the sound file. Ones that work are in WAV format, 8 Bit, 1 Channel and 11KhZ frequency.

I have also found that if you have a sound file that works and then use the Windows recorder application to make it louder and then upload the saved (louder) file, the ICN will play the alert sound but again the normal routing commands stop playing once the proximity sound alert has been played. Very odd and I think this is due to some subtle format change from the recorder application. Files I have modified using dB PowerAmp seem ok.

Hope all this helps. If anyone else has success using the above method then please let me know. Particularly keen to find out why some sound files play ok and other stop the normal routing commands. Good news is that you can get sound files to work and you can play different sound files for different POIs, particularly handy for the speed camera database e.g. GATSO, SPECS, TEMP etc. All that is now required are some decent sounds.

Good Luck

Ed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: