Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman on foot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman on foot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidnal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Navman on foot Reply with quote

Can the Navman iCN 510 be used when hiking or camping when you don`t have a fixed street address. Would you set a starting point or mark as a favorite so you could find your way back? I was thinking of buying one mostly for the road but was wondering how it would work on foot in case I did use it in the woods from time to time!
Thanks,
sidnal
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The 510 is a dedicated GPS unit and therefore cannot accept any maps other than navman's own street level maps.

If you were in the wild away from roads then your position would simply be shown on a blank screen with no point of reference other than the coordinates. If there were any nearby roads then you would be placed on the nearest road due to the Maplock engine, designed to keep you on the road in areas where the map data may be slightly out.

To use GPS 'off-road' you would need topographical Ordnance Survey style maps. Unfortunately at the moment the 510 cannot use OS maps.

I have not heard of any plans to introduce this type of map for it but such an addition (i.e. GPS 3300 Terrain or Smart Explorer maps) would be a great addition.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: