Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom blocking COM port 8 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom blocking COM port 8 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom blocking COM port 8 ? Reply with quote

I think I've read somewhere that TomTom Navigator blocks COM Port 8, which my Leadtek 9537 BT uses with my HP2210. I've searched the forums with no luck but if this has already been covered , apologies !
I'm trying to use my Bluetooth receiver with GPS Dash & GPS Tuner but they will not work on Port 8 - however, they work fine with my CF Receiver on Port 7. I've tried setting TomTom (v3.03 build 427) to Port 7 then going back to the other progs on Port 8 with no luck. Alternatively of course it may be that GPS Dash & Tuner will not work with a BT device ?!
Any suggestions please Question
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use gps 2.07 it was the last gps driver not to hog the com port

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi alix776
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've unloaded GPS 3.03, installed 2.07 but problem is still there. Three separate progs refuse to open port 8, but work perfectly on 7. Crying or Very sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you have to remove ~gps and soft reset then it should work ive never done my self but it you serch the forum for ipaq2210 problems then the info shouldbe in those forums

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall anything related to TomTom GPS that's hanging around. If that doesn't fix it (as it probably won't - it sounds like you installed GPS 2.07 over the top of GPS 3.03 instead of removing it fully), you'll need to find a registry editor for your Pocket PC. If you google for PHM Registry Editor, that's a free one.

Install the Registry Editor, turn off Bluetooth, soft reset.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\SerialN - where N is the COM number of the affected COM port (in this case, COM8: - so it's Serial8).

Change the Dll value from ttbtdev.dll to BtCeIf.dll

Soft reset.

That should have fixed it. Check your other applications can open COM8:

You'll then need to reinstall TomTom GPS seeing as you removed it to get to this point. Either install 2.07, or install 3.07 and be prepared to remove the Bluetooth driver if you can't open COM8: after installing TomTom GPS.

If you installed 3.07 and need to remove an interfering Bluetooth driver - or if you ever need to remove an interfering TomTom Bluetooth driver in the future - soft reset, then Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom ~ GPS, tap Remove. Tap OK for a mandatory soft reset.

A single remove of TomTom ~ GPS on a machine where TomTom GPS 2.08 and upwards has hooked into the Bluetooth stack removes the hook. It takes a second remove to remove the TomTom GPS program.

David
(who takes no responsibility if you get the registry edit wrong)
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DavidW
Everything now works perfectly with all my progs able to access COM8 when required, even with TT 3.07 GPS installed! Many thanks for the advice - I'm very grateful.
DJM Laughing
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest - did you just install TomTom GPS 3.07, or did you have to go through any other steps mentioned first?

GPS 3.07 is somewhat less invasive than earlier versions; your results back that up. The most important thing is that your system is now working - so it's best left alone!

David
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: COM Port 8 Reply with quote

Hi David
I went through the following steps:
1) Uninstalled ALL TomTom progs
2) Used 'Pocket Mechanic' to make sure all bad registry entries were cleared
3) Used Resco File Explorer to ensure all TomTom files had been uninstalled by the Uninstall Program process (they hadn't ! ), so that I was working with a clean machine.
4) Installed all TT 3.01 progs (GPS/Voice etc.)
5) Loaded my GB map
6) Upgraded all with TT 3.07
7) Used 'Reco Registry Edit' to change the HKLM setting you quoted & also the AutoConnect setting quoted elsewhere in this Forum.
8) Soft reset
9) Bluetooth Receiver switched on & non-TT progs tested for COM8 access - all worked so all closed
10) TTN run - GPS set to Port 8 - again, success !
Thanks again
DJM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: