Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tungsten E connecting cable to TALEX GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tungsten E connecting cable to TALEX GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Tungsten E connecting cable to TALEX GPS Reply with quote

I have a TALEX GPS SCD which I wish to use as the GPS engine to drive ViaMichelin Mapsonic on my Tungsten E.

However, I am having difficulty finding a cable to connect the Tungsten E (with its mini-USB socket) to the TALEX unit, either directly to its 3.5mm (?) output port or to the serial/DB9 female cable end of the TALEX laptop cable.

Anyone know where I might find a suitable cable or adapter?

2 factors to note:
- Tungsten E mini-USB will connect to the Kirrio GPS by cable.
- I have succesfully used the TALEX unit to drive Infotech Navigator 4 on my laptop.

Regards,
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need the "magic" kirrio cable (it is like the cradle but is a seperate cable) - not sure who sells it but it is listed as a seperate item on the kirrio web site.

this changes the socket to a serial port - very clever.

Ian
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
Thanks for the reply. I cobbled together a cable today which connected the devices - TALEX to Serial to USB to mini-USB. I powered averything up in the car, but the Tunsten E Mapsonic software (functional demo with tiny map of W London area) showed no GPS signal.

I think I may have been a bit niaive over the ad hoc system I have been trying to put together (no Palm driver to recognise the serial signal?) and will have to buy the clever Kirrio solution. I looked on the Kirrio website incidently, but it did not seem to offer the Kirrio cable as a separate item - could you send me the link to this please?

Regards,
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cable is here

http://www.kirrio.com/uk/products/usb_to_serial/index.php?cat=4&id=0

Ian
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
Many thanks. Before I try and find one, do you know if the T/E needs a driver to recognise the GPS signal - or does the mapsonic software take care of this?

I have also now seen other posts that seem to say that the Kirrio solution somehow converts an IR signal somewhere along the way - does this mean that I need the Kirrio GPS unit and Kirrio cable set?

Thanks again.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kirrio unit I have connects via the mount to a cable and then this cable connects to the gps mouse (kirrio gps is standard ssII).

It definately doesn't connect via ir as there is nothing at the top of the mount.

As for drivers the gps signal is picked up by the mapsonic software - this is also the case with tomtom navigator 4.42 which I have also managed to run on the tungsten BUT not reliably enough to use on a daily basis.

Unless you have the mapsonic software all ready I would go with the omplete viamichelin/kirrio pack - if you buy the version with the version 2.5 software you can register and revieve an upgrade to v3 (which I have done). The difference in the cost over the software only route is likely to be very small - even Argos are selling the complete kit for around £200 (I got it from global positioning systems for about £180). It comes with GB installed on a 128mb sd card and the extra software on cd - I have installed the more detailed complete gb map on a 256mb sd card (the full gb map is about 144mb) and have the speed camera database loaded (v3 has a poi alert function)

To be honest considering the hardware spec of the tungsten e I'm really impressed with it running viamichelin navigation v3 (I think they have dropped the mapsonic name) - the sound quality from the tungsten could be better but my wife has had no trouble using it over the past couple of weeks.

Ian
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
Thanks again - I appreciate the time you have taken to reply. I haven't bought the full software yet - I have been using the downloadable demo. I have thought about buying the full kirrio kit, but I would like to use the TALEX GPS engine and avoid another set of cables (although I plan to install them behind the dash when I've got the GPS set up to work). I'll persist with the cable search and try to make the TALEX solution work first.

I'll post the outcome idc.

Regards,
theonlyone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done - but I did this instead ....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20127

Regards,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: